Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Project: Rebuild Altezza

ZedT3

Guys & Gals,

I recently purchased another toyota altezza from japan, same 2003 model as mine. However, this time it is a water-damaged model. You might ask, why did I bother, well, the price was just too good to pass up!!!

Anyway, in your opinion, what type of headaches should I be expecting when the vehicle lands? If it seems as if it's too much trouble, I'll just sell it as parts, however, I would really like to salvage the car...tell me what you think.

Thanks for any help! :)

Btw, other than water having been everywhere, there's not a scratch or dent on the car. Looks fantastic!!!

Suppose it would depend on how long the car has been water logged for, things like the bulbs would need replacing, disti caps (if they have one) would also need replacing, removing the carpets etc... to allow complete drying, the usual things, as for the engine - I've seen a Toyota Truck submerged in the sea for 24Hrs and still start without too much trouble.

Hope this adds to light

BR

Paul

all ecu , motors, relays, switchgear, radio, speakers, will need replacing, the exhaust will need cleaning out, aswell as the engiune and gearbox, and diff

thats just a start.......

i was looking at bringing in a Gita 4x4 that was also water damaged........when i priced up the parts that needed changing it came to 3x the price of the car........

Suppose it would depend on how long the car has been water logged for, things like the bulbs would need replacing, disti caps (if they have one) would also need replacing, removing the carpets etc... to allow complete drying, the usual things, as for the engine - I've seen a Toyota Truck submerged in the sea for 24Hrs and still start without too much trouble.

Hope this adds to light

BR

Paul

hmm, someones been watching Top Gear i think!! If i remember correctly, bout an hour with an AA man and it was back on the road.

Hope this adds to light

BR

Paul

hmm, someones been watching Top Gear i think!! If i remember correctly, bout an hour with an AA man and it was back on the road.

:lol: - Yep, if I remember correctly, they never completely kill the pick up - did they ? Dropped, burnt, had a caravan dropped on it, and it still ran - anyway this is :offtopic::lol:

Depends on how long it has been in the water and how deep. If it's been stuck in deel folld ot harbour then it will aso include carpets, seats, door cards and some of the electric connectors may well corrode now or later.

Got any pics ?

If we are talking a submerged vehicle, most of the interior will be beyond repair, all electric's will need drying, put the computer, relays and other electrical items in your airing cupboard for the week.

All oils will need draining from engine, box and diff, then crank the engine over with the spark plugs out ,and get shoot of the water in the bores. depending how long its had water in the bore/piston area ,the piston ring may of rusted to the bore,it could be a good idea to turn the engine over with a socket and bar first.

Your also need to bleed all the brakes out, change the power steering fluid, plus air filter and pollen filter.

Remove or drain fuel tank....the list goes on ;) .

why is it that these japanese cars suffer from water damage ??

ive heard of loads of cases of them, even been told to be beware of buying one in case it has had water damage

what are they doing to them  :o

:whistling: erm......please.....WHY ARE THEY WET ...... thank you

ive heard of loads of cases of them, even been told to be beware of buying one in case it has had water damage

Wasn't there a ship capsized somewhere full of Japanese cars :whistling::whistling:

Japan had about 12-13 typhoons last year (2004), and there was alot of flooding, hence the amount of water damaged cars available.

If we are talking a submerged vehicle, most of the interior will be beyond repair, all electric's will need drying, put the computer, relays and other electrical items in your airing cupboard for the week.

All oils will need draining from engine, box and diff, then crank the engine over with the spark plugs out ,and get shoot of the water in the bores. depending how long its had water in the bore/piston area ,the piston ring may of rusted to the bore,it could be a good idea to turn the engine over with a socket and bar first.

Your also need to bleed all the brakes out, change the power steering fluid, plus air filter and pollen filter.

Remove or drain fuel tank....the list goes on ;) .

Wow, well I am told that the car is coming with leather seat covers that fit right up to the bottom of the seat, so the upholstery is ok. it's the electricals that i am worried about. My mechanic is already making a plan of attack for the engine and other parts. :blink:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links