Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Seriously Baked On Brake Dust

aido

OK guys, I thought I'd sort the car out now we're coming in to spring...

So, I hit Halfords earlier and bought some Meguiars Hot Rims, some Turtle Wax Heavy Duty Brake Dust Remover and also some kit for Steel Polished Rims which sounds like it's an acid which you paint on...

So, two hours later and I've only managed to get one tenth of one alloy clean (in between two spokes) - it looks good now, but I've had to use no end of the stuff above.

What products do you guys use on polished rims?

I've looked across the net but there's not really anything for polished rims that are caked after a nasty British winter what with all the road salt thats flying around lately...

I was tempted to use Wonder Wheels but it warns about using it on split rims (ie don't)...

Would it be safe if I used it on a toothbrush maybe?

Or am I going to have to resort to hours and hours of hard work scrubbing the alloys to get them all shiny again :o

Thanks in advance

So, I hit Halfords earlier and bought some Meguiars Hot Rims, some Turtle Wax Heavy Duty Brake Dust Remover and also some kit for Steel Polished Rims which sounds like it's an acid which you paint on...

So, two hours later and I've only managed to get one tenth of one alloy clean (in between two spokes) - it looks good now, but I've had to use no end of the stuff above.

I've looked across the net but there's not really anything for polished rims that are caked after a nasty British winter what with all the road salt thats flying around lately...

I was tempted to use Wonder Wheels but it warns about using it on split rims (ie don't)...

Or am I going to have to resort to hours and hours of hard work scrubbing the alloys to get them all shiny again :o

Thanks in advance

if you washed your wheels regular you wouldnt have the problem,scruff bag :P

if you washed your wheels regular you wouldnt have the problem,scruff bag :P

That is actually true I'm afraid to say Aido.

These rims need some serious TLC on a regular basis to keep them blinging.

You are going to need elbow grease to get them clean, then keep on top of them (polishing them weekly). The best thing to do over winter is to coat the polished lip with some vaseline and wipe off the dirt every weekend.

Then in the summer - they still look great!

Aido - you can use Wonder wheels on split rimms, just make sure you have plenty of water to rinse and only leave on until you have them cleaned, don't leave to soak, I have used this on mine to clean them up, they look the nuts now

Cheers Zee, will have to keep that Vaseline trick in mind :)

They're proper battered though, would it be easier to take them off the car and do them that way?? Guess it would be easier to get to them.....

Cheers Zee, will have to keep that Vaseline trick in mind :)

They're proper battered though, would it be easier to take them off the car and do them that way?? Guess it would be easier to get to them.....

i`m sure you`ll have some vaseline somewhere mate ,maybe back pocket :sick::lol:

@ Paul, thanks for that mate, I'll bear that in mind, will pick up some Wonder Wheels tomorrow as this stuff is thick!

I had a period where I didn't get chance to sort the car and it's built up a layer of crap on the fronts which is very bad - like I say took me two hours just to sort out one little bit of the alloy today - it seems to need something aggressive to remove it all!!

@ Pete, might give that Cilit stuff a go too - got nothing to lose - my rims look like the inside of an oven so it could be the perfect stuff :lol:

:lol: I had to resist saying something along those lines :P

I've never needed it Dave, the birds reckon I'm too small to need that stuff :D

urgh baggybirds :lol::lol:

sorry i`m off now,but wonder wheels is real good,dont leave it on too long though can damage your laquer in time.

Aido - you can use Wonder wheels on split rimms, just make sure you have plenty of water to rinse and only leave on until you have them cleaned, don't leave to soak, I have used this on mine to clean them up, they look the nuts now

yeah - the secret is too make sure you get it all off.

WW comes with a nice soft brush.

pour some in the cap of the bottle, and dip the brush in.

agitate the WW on the wheels, get in all the nooks and crannies.

blast all off completely with hose / power washer.

rinse / repeat

You might wanna thik about taking them off - I used the acid on mine and it cleaned the wheels lovely, but took the paint off my hubs.

Thanks in advance

try MER wheel cleaner or muc - off!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links