Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Raid Question For The Techies

Thanks mate - but that's a thousand bucks!! - I was hoping for something a little more retail.

I wonder if anyone has tried Ghost 9 on  a Si RAID?

:lol::lol:

never looked at the price sorry mate. :blush:

you may struggle to find "home" software to do this, as not many people have a RAID array at home.

so you may be stuck with enterprise / server applications, which are a touch more expensive.

Problem is that it needs to support RAID mate, which most of the retail / home use products don't.

When you configure a RAID-0 array as a boot device, the operating system sees it as drive "F" on the SCSI bus. When Ghost boots, it creates a virtual partition in the first available space, and labels it "C" - this completely mucks up the backup process.

It may not even be possible, but it'd be great if there was someone out there with Ghost 9, who has tried it. I have Ghost 2003, and it deffo won't work. The Symantec website says that Ghost 9 "might" work with "some" hardware-level RAID devices.

We use the Altiris Xpress imaging software on our kit running HP hardware RAID - HP actually wrapper this up and offer a solution called Rapid Deployment Pack which is good for imaging server kit....

Basically it works with anything, and you also get nice tools to take a snapshot of the hardware RAID config so you can blast that out across as many servers as you like!

Works great really.

I've got ghost 9. (Part of the 2005 suite.)

I know it works for RAID-5 (got that on my main PC) and it worked for a RAID 1 creation, as in taking the image from one drive over to a RAID-1 setup.

Unfortunately I've not got the kit to try and configure a RAID-0 setup and give it a try.

As I notice you're in Northants, I actually will be in Northampton this Thursday I can bring a floppy with Ghost 9 and you can try it?

I've got ghost 9. (Part of the 2005 suite.)

I know it works for RAID-5 (got that on my main PC) and it worked for a RAID 1 creation, as in taking the image from one drive over to a RAID-1 setup.

Unfortunately I've not got the kit to try and configure a RAID-0 setup and give it a try.

As I notice you're in Northants, I actually will be in Northampton this Thursday I can bring a floppy with Ghost 9 and you can try it?

That's a really kind offer Chris - thanks mate.

I think I'll give Symantec a call tomorrow and see what they know - if there's a chance it'll work I may take you up on your great offer. I would imagine that if it works on RAID-5, then it'll prolly work on RAID-0. What RAID controller are you using mate?

I've got an adaptec 2400a running RAID-5, and an adaptec 1200a running RAID-1 in a different PC.

I used to use the RAID built into a motherboard in RAID-0 and didn't have a problem using Ghost. I then decided that doing that was a really bad idea as if the board failed then nothing could read the RAID formating other than the identical chip which would be hard to ensure. So an add in card is guarenteed to be movable and so a little more reliable to me.

If you want to try then no problem, just pm me you moblie number and we'll arrange a time/place to meet up.

Rod,

Not a problem, I've just looked up on Symantec (horrid link sorry) http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost...=&osv=&osv_lvl=

for RAID information, I believe that with my RAID cards as I do not need drivers Ghost works perfectly fine. In you case they say it probably will work if you've got the driver for the RAID that you can build into the floppy boot sequence. Still open for a try if you want to, can't do any harm :)

Thanks mate - I saw that page - I think the reason that your controller works and mine doesn't is that your Adaptec controller is supported by the dos aspi drivers that Ghost can load. I'm using Silicon Image hardware, and there's no DOS drivers for them (much to a lots of peoples' annoyance)

Thanks for all your help though - I really apreciate it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links