Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Water Pump

Just been told that the water pump is the cause of my loud engine rattle!!

Can this be right? what's a water pump got to do with a rattle in the engine? (pardon my ignorance I'm not a mechanic)

Been told the part is £90 plus it will take 5 hours at £98 a hour!!

Is this about right?

Thanks in advance

Just been told that the water pump is the cause of my loud engine rattle!!

Can this be right? what's a water pump got to do with a rattle in the engine? (pardon my ignorance I'm not a mechanic)

Been told the part is £90 plus it will take 5 hours at £98 a hour!!

Is this about right?

Thanks in advance

98 quid an hour whats that all about,did he have a mask on,take it to a small garage near you and let them have a look,if its the pump buy one form lexus and get the small garage to fit it,cant believe them prices.

Is200's are prone to waterpumps and water bypass hoses, the price for the pump is about right but the labour cost is a bt silly

yeh i thought that chris,horse and carriage job. :lol:

Stand and deliver ! comes to mind

Lexus in Edgware are charge £98 + VAT a hour.  It's incredible.

My fear is what happens if it's not the water pump what's a water pump got to do with an engine rattle?

Water pump can cause a rattle like sound probaly the bearing thats gone.i would take it somewere else though cos that quote is ridiculous

My fear is what happens if it's not the water pump what's a water pump got to do with an engine rattle?

its the bearing in the pulley that makes the noise

its the bearing in the pulley that makes the noise

if it is the water pump will the noise problem be sorted out?

Will it have done any damage to the car?

no damage to the car can be caused although not sure if the is,s waterpump is linked to the cambelt or not ,if it is then you might as well get the cambelt renewed at the same time

The cambely cost £23 from lexus can I just give it to the local garage and get them to change it or does other parts need to be changed as well.

Is there likely to be a big charge for replacing the belt as well?

Cheers

not really gone into any depth on the is but i have never seen a motor yet that had the water pump powered by the cam belt because if it did then if the pump jammed it would blow your engine possibly. normally they are accessory driven so it should be somewhere around the belts at the front of the engine

Its normally an easy job i've changed them on a cossie, a xr4x4 and a passat and its just a case of taking off the accessory drives then a few bolts and its off and as the haynes manual legend fitting is the reverse of removal unless its in a ridiculously difficult to get to place on an is then 5 hours for a remove and fit is a joke even if you did it fully with a water drain it would only add about an hour and you can get them off and on in an hour and a half the other two and a half hours must be the road test or an executive lunch

no damage to the car can be caused although not sure if the is,s waterpump is linked to the cambelt or not ,if it is then you might as well get the cambelt renewed at the same time

The cambely cost £23 from lexus can I just give it to the local garage and get them to change it or does other parts need to be changed as well.

Is there likely to be a big charge for replacing the belt as well?

Cheers

the cambelt change on the 200 is easy,the hardest part is getting the front pulley off which can sometimes be seized on pretty well but any good garage will change it,i paid 40 quid and watched him do it,no probs,surelly if you listen down by your water pump you will tell if its that thats makin the noise or am i being a bit numb :huh:

now a cam belt is the only thing i will pay for through the nose if needs be because it gives the peace of mind if it does go then there is comeback on those that fitted it (within a reasonable length of time obviously)

not really gone into any depth on the is but i have never seen a motor yet that had the water pump powered by the cam belt because if it did then if the pump jammed it would blow your engine possibly. normally they are accessory driven so it should be somewhere around the belts at the front of the engine

Its normally an easy job i've changed them on a cossie, a xr4x4 and a passat and its just a case of taking off the accessory drives  then a few bolts and its off and as the haynes manual legend fitting is the reverse of removal unless its in a ridiculously difficult to get to place on an is then 5 hours for a remove and fit is a joke even if you did it fully with a water drain it would only add about an hour and you can get them off and on in an hour and a half the other two and a half hours must be the road test or an executive lunch

If i remember :duh: rightly the astra gte had this set up and the cambelt went around the waterpump ,the waterpump was adjustable and was a real pig to fit ,infact if you change the cambelt you had to change the water pump as it never sealed properly afterwards ,the reason why i thought the is200 was the same was because of the massive quote involved to fit the pump.

this thread sort of covered it as well

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...howtopic=17538&

Fiat Puntos have the water pump driven by the cambelt. Just had it and the cambelt changed for £98 labour and around £30 parts. The price quoted by Edgware seems crazy to me. Would be interesting to know how much other dealers would charge.

Fiat Puntos have the water pump driven by the cambelt. Just had it and the cambelt changed for £98 labour and around £30 parts. The price quoted by Edgware seems crazy to me. Would be interesting to know how much other dealers would charge.

well you live and learn seems like bad engineering to me putting anything else on the cambelt but its obviously done for a reason but if a cambelt change exposes it then surely you are only looking at the waterpump and another hours labour max

Had my water pump changed at woodford that was just over £520 that was £98 + vat an hour

total  :tsktsk:  rip off  :angry:

Why did you have to get yours changed?

had it done as part of a service no noise they said it was leaking but it never used any water in 10 months

I dont trust woodford if they know it's under warrenty they try and bump up the bill

the water pump is driven by an accessory belt NOT the cambelt! it is on the LH side of the engine ( when facing car) and at the front.

the water pump leak is common but it leaks from one of the tubes at the top, a new tube and seals are only a few pounds.

the water pump is driven by an accessory belt NOT the cambelt! it is  on the LH side of the engine ( when facing car) and at the front.

the water pump leak is common but it leaks from one of the tubes at the top, a new tube and seals are only a few pounds.

:) well that has cleared that up ,but why the massive quote to fit a waterpump . :unsure:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links