Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Water Pump

the water pump is driven by an accessory belt NOT the cambelt! it is  on the LH side of the engine ( when facing car) and at the front.

the water pump leak is common but it leaks from one of the tubes at the top, a new tube and seals are only a few pounds.

thought a cambelt driven waterpump was odd in that case just take the accessory belt off then give the water pump pulley a wiggle if there is play in it then that is where the problem lies

I have driven on dodgy water pumps before and if they let go in the middle of nowhere it will either give you an overheated engine or cost you a fortune in bottled water to keep topping it up to get you home

the water pump is driven by an accessory belt NOT the cambelt! it is  on the LH side of the engine ( when facing car) and at the front.

the water pump leak is common but it leaks from one of the tubes at the top, a new tube and seals are only a few pounds.

:) well that has cleared that up ,but why the massive quote to fit a waterpump . :unsure:

cause lexus dealers a **** rip off merchants

:) well that has cleared that up ,but why the massive quote to fit a waterpump . :unsure:

Banditos ombre................. :ph34r::ph34r:

:lol:

Banditos ombre................. :ph34r::ph34r:

to be honest this is the first car i was going to get dealer serviced as it has a flsh i am seriously going off the idea now looking at posts like these

i know its :offtopic: but anyone know the major servicing schedule ?

Anyone interested in getting their Lexus serviced at an independent should look at Nationwideautovcentre.

http://www.nationwideautocentre.com/services_servicing.asp

Just take a look at what they cover!!!

for my local centre been quoted

£65 for the interim service (including parts and labour)

£130 for a full service (including parts and labour)

£165 for a major service (including parts and labour)

There's a 10% voucher from their website.

Just take a look at the PDF document that tells you what they cover and they give you a full report.

I know they will use third party products but they said I can buy original oil and air filters and they will knock it off the quote.

Is this too good to be true?

Cheers

When the water pump went on my Carina E the timing belt had to come off in order to fit it (it may not be driven by it, but it's certainly behind it!), Toyota in Builth Wells asked me if I wanted to change the belt seeing as it's got to come off anyway. The extra cost? About twelve quid - not bad for a main dealer belt change!

Might be worth trying a local Toyota dealer - some will work on Lexus (Builth one does) and the labour's cheaper - I think the one in Builth charges £40 per hour!

When the water pump went on my Carina E the timing belt had to come off in order to fit it (it may not be driven by it, but it's certainly behind it!), Toyota in Builth Wells asked me if I wanted to change the belt seeing as it's got to come off anyway.  The extra cost?  About twelve quid - not bad for a main dealer belt change!

Might be worth trying a local Toyota dealer - some will work on Lexus (Builth one does) and the labour's cheaper - I think the one in Builth charges £40 per hour!

water pump is driven by acc belt and is nowhere near cam belt, pump is at the front onf the engine on lh side = easy access.

So not exactly a five-hour job, then? :mellow:

seems to be alot of people think that the water pump is near behind or on the cam belt the question is is it from experience or is it from what the garages have told you ?

Probably depends on the engine. I assume on the Carina engine the pump mounting bolts were behind a timing belt pulley or something. What's the engine number in an IS200? Could be worth looking at the EPC, should be able to get diagrams up if the same engine's used in any Toyotas.

EDIT: It's a 1G-FE engine, as far as I can tell it's only used in IS200s and Altezzas. Still waiting for my Japan EPC discs to download, but they're 1997 and won't have the Altezza. Damn.

from what i can make out it is not connected to the cambelt at all ,but sits to the left of it at the front  as fluff stated earlier .

Correct.

Open the bonnet and have a look

mine looks a bit different :)

you have to laugh it was a simple question and now everyones under their bonnets locating the water pump :D

like i said to begin with i haven't done one on a lex but as a rule front left seems pretty generic

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links