Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Porter Polisher !

Bazza

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just ordered one.

What's the power consumption on these, so I know which stepdown to buy from Screwfix?

It's OK, I know now. 110 volts at 3.7 amps, roughly 400 watts. 750VA transformer required is part number 73851 (or you can future-proof yourself by buying the 3kVA unit 16158), plug is 19947, optional 14m extension cable is 16691.

NOTE: when fitting plugs to USA mains cables, the colour coding is not what you'd expect - WHITE=Neutral, BLACK=Live.

Just ordered one.

What's the power consumption on these, so I know which stepdown to buy from Screwfix?

I bought

- this transformer

- this 14m lead - its better to have the transformer plugged directly into the mains, rather than off an extension cable.

- this plug.

cut the standard US plug off the PC, and wire black to live and white to neutral on the purchased plug - there is no earth cable on a two prong US plug.

whats the diff/so special about the porter polisher compared to the other polishers u get????????

Absolutly nothing Rob,they all do the same job.

Nice an shiney. :D

:ohmy:

its all in the random orbit

it doesnt just spin round and round

whats the diff/so special about the porter polisher compared to the other polishers u get????????

Absolutly nothing Rob,they all do the same job.

Pete

please do not give people the impression that there is no difference between a PC and rotary buffer you can get from Halfords.

There is a very real technique to using a rotary buffer, and a very real risk of damaging your paintwork with a rotary buffer.

this post on a detailing forum illustrates exactly what I am saying.

Guy burns through his PAINTWORK using a rotary buffer incorrectly - burns it down to the PRIMER.

This is not a risk with the porter cable polisher - you would have to try very hard to do permanent damage to your paintwork with one. Thats why I paid the extra for the PC, instead of £30 for a Halfords one.

I am not saying do not buy a rotary buffer - I am saying that you must realise the risks associated with using such a tool incorrectly.

If you want to use a rotary, then please do some research into the correct technique for using it, and practise on either a second car you do not cherish as much as your Lexus, or even better, on an old Lady.

assuming the porter is a random orbit  buffer then??

yep

it buffs in a random orbital way :D

mmm same as my 10 euro buffer then! i think i know which one i will stick with.

just read that post above about the guy damaging his paint and there appears to be some confusion here about the type that was being used.

the rotary buffers u get in the US are just that rotary, just like an angle grinder, of course u have to be careful. The buffers u get from halfods and the like are random orbit.

What stuff did you use altogether, Bazza? Bought my Porter Cable polisher, changed the plug and everything, but in the garage I only have various bottles from TripleWax and Autoglym, plus a big bottle of T-Cut Metallic.

Searching for Meguiars brings up a bewildering array of polishes and waxes, I don't know where to start!

What stuff did you use altogether, Bazza?  Bought my Porter Cable polisher, changed the plug and everything, but in the garage I only have various bottles from TripleWax and Autoglym, plus a big bottle of T-Cut Metallic.

Searching for Meguiars brings up a bewildering array of polishes and waxes, I don't know where to start!

wouldnt use the t-cut , little bit too abrasive i think

i used a combination of

meguires:

clay bar

swirl remover

stage 1 body cleaner

stage 2 polish

then

auto glym:

high gloss resin polish

back to

meguires:

carnuba wax paste

generally you can use the three stage meguires treatment

although its allways worth using the clay bar, to get a silky smooth feel :D

I used the T-cut about a fortnight ago (one of the swans outside our offices decided to have a go at the back wing), didn't do an awful lot, there are some marks still there.

Time to go shopping at Autopia again, methinks!

What stuff did you use altogether, Bazza?  Bought my Porter Cable polisher, changed the plug and everything, but in the garage I only have various bottles from TripleWax and Autoglym, plus a big bottle of T-Cut Metallic.

Autoglym stuff should be OK with a polisher.

Triplewax I am not sure of.

T-Cut is very harsh - coupled with a polisher - may take off a bit more paint than you want.

Time to go shopping at Autopia again, methinks!

I would recommend the Sonus Perfect Shine Base Kit

shampoo, claying system and polish.

I would strongly recommend cleaning and claying the car as preparation, especially for the first time you use the polisher - you want your paint surface as clean and smooth as possible.

Meguiars scratch x - which is excellent for removal of slight swirling and oxidation.

You also get klasse all in on polish - which is an excellent polish (there are a few guys using it on here now).

It is not abrasive - so wont remove any swirls or scratching, but does contain fillers, so can improve the cosmetic appearance of them.

This kit will make your car look really good - and will not do any harm to your car.

As your progress, and improve the paint work - you may find you need more abrasive products - but these are a nice safe set to start with ;)

I wouldn't dare use T-Cut with a polisher, might as well use a belt sander!

Was looking at Bazza's list, I assume the following would be correct (and in order):-

08033014918e4fffef4184cb342aa17f.150.180.5c4ebdab0042ed957b185f9185706a73.JPG£10.07

58085bcf134c91874eac2c0ec9ae2bf7.150.185.e58462f8616413ea8cd236e83e716898.JPG£7.56

97eb7e74cbdba2943d3feae18720ba7d.150.180.15cb31fbd52f24669aef345c0d8c8802.JPG£6.71

3fa8c3a0493cc40564780f7aa49cae55.150.200.d21ef3b4e01f9d1ffb8c9e4ed43ed964.JPG£6.71

d1f9056ce22e34e663c328413da8d902.150.150.abfde49a9c05f4a173ffd64175764187.JPG£6.06

6eb444ef43b85a872c6544cda525d945.150.194.b09dbdba297b22babaca4867277bf090.JPG£6.71

Prices from www.socket2me.co.uk

I hear you Matthew, I'd just like to run this past Bazza first.

no worries mate :D

of that list - the scratch X and auto glym seem redundant.

the stage 1 paintwork cleaner contains abrasives, and with a polisher - this should get rid of most swirls etc.

you already have the megs polish - so no need for autogylm too.

save a few bob ;)

I wouldn't dare use T-Cut with a polisher, might as well use a belt sander!

Was looking at Bazza's list, I assume the following would be correct (and in order):-

G1116th.jpg£11.99

G10307th.jpg£8.99

A3016th.jpg£7.99

A2116th.jpg£7.99

265.gif£13.00 (1 litre)

A2216th.jpg£7.99

almost correct :lol:

the Autoglym was the extra gloss protection

and the carnuba wax was the paste version, i prefer the paste as it seems to last longer and is easier to apply

i will be trying the autopia polishes as soon as i need to stock up again

different polishes will work better or worse depending on colour and paint type, so its allways worth experimenting a bit :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links