Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Pot Hole Advice

This happened to me once, it buckled my alloy, wrote to the local authority who said the water board were responsible for the ditch and was told to write to them :tsktsk: couldnt be bothered so just went and bought a new rim :angry:

Something similar happened to me a couple of years ago. Read Here

I wrote several letters and they were being sent around various dept's of the local council, water board and the highways people and they all claimed it was the others responsibility. I came to a dead end and just gave up. :crybaby:

Could you not legally have "demanded" that something be resolved about the matter within a period of time, as the road on which you drove was not safe, and as a result has caused you unnecessary expenses and wasted alot of your time!

Why is it that we as vehicle owners must maintain our vehicles to satisfy the MOT test and keep other road users and pedestrians safe, but the roads themselves cannot keep our cars safe!

(Corrupted, deceiptful and two-faced is my gut feeling)

*Do not mean to offend anyone who works for the council, local authority, or government!*

Christmas time I hit a pothole in the Mk1, this thing was THREE FEET end-to-end! Blew out the front wheel, buckling the alloy inside and out, also buckled the back wheel. Already needed one new tyre so ended up buying a complete set of four. Asked Newport council to shell out for the two THEY were responsible for, they claimed that they'd been notified about it a few days before, yet because they hadn't had a chance to fill it in it wasn't their fault. Thieves!

Last time I ruined a tyre hitting a pot hole I got a friend to report it, waited 7 days..checked it was still there, and at that point reported I hit it. that way the councils can't use the excuse that they did not know about...... eventually I got a cheque for 2 new tyres :D

This happened to someone down here Hit a pothole and buckled two alloys on his new b*w.

He complained to the Council,Their reply was that they knew about the hole,and were wating to get it fixed.

Made the local papers,and apparently if it has ,normally, white paint lines around it, the council know about it and the repair is imminent.

He had to fork out for two alloys himself

I thought if they had been informed and painted around the hole then they were laible. They are insured for it anyway so just ask for their insurers details.

someones bound to be liable under health and safety just go straight down that route either that or start complaining about every bit of bad road surface you see that way it costs them more

Woo hoo St. Helens council. The same thing happend to me and they refused to pay! Good luck. St. Helens would rather spend money on speed bumps than repairing the pot holes. it is worth a try.

The way i see this is the same as a business owner if you have a frontage with uneven slabs on it and someone trips over one then as the business owner you are liable.I always thought in british law that ignorance was no defence, if they have a duty to keep the roads in good repair then they should be checking the roads or at least have a department who does it.

If you get no joy that way you could try small claims court and represent yourself. If all else fails then i would just try and cause as much damage as possible there are quite a few councils that now use ISO9000 accreditations if they have a department that deals with roads who haven't spotted a fault ask for whatever they call a quality occurance report form (anyone can do this under the rules of the ISO accreditation) anyone with the ISO hates being QOR reported as it causes them no end of hassle chasing it up and it will go up the chain. It may seem alot of trouble but it will give them more of a headache than you

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links