Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Tyres 225/40x18 Dunlop Or Pirelli?

MattCook

I'm looking to replace my two back tyres on my stock styling kit 18" wheels.

Torn between the Pirelli P0 Rosso Asimmerico and the Dunlop Sport SP 9000

I've read quite a few threads comparing different tyres and giving different opinions. I've had 20K out of the rear Pirelli P0 Rosso Asimmerico's I've got on at the moment and the only complaint I've got is handling in the wet and I've heard good things about the Dunlops (taking into account the bad noise when they wear thin), Opinions anyone?

Pirelli P ZERO ROSSO Asimmetrico 225/40 ZR18 92Y XL ohne P ZERO Label (So) £86.90

or

Dunlop SP SPORT 9000 225/40 R18 ZR mit Felgenschutz (So) 86.90 £86.90

Thanks in advance...

Goodyear Eagle F1s

they beat the ***** out of both the Dunlops and the Pirellis for wet weather handling and they look the business

but I think they cost more than the tyres you mentioned

Goodyear Eagle F1s

they beat the ***** out of both the Dunlops and the Pirellis for wet weather handling and they look the business

but I think they cost more than the tyres you mentioned

^

what he said.

Of the choices you listed - I would have to say Dunlop, as I have just got rid of my Pirellis, did not like em at all.

too much wheelspin for my liking, not just in the wet, and not under heavy acceleration either.

I changed to Goodyear Eagles

Of the choices you listed - I would have to say Dunlop, as I have just got rid of my Pirellis, did not like em at all.

too much wheelspin for my liking, not just in the wet, and not under heavy acceleration either.

Thats one of the things that drove me mad about the Pirellis. It took nothing to induce wheelspin. Also, they were much noisier than the Goodyears and the wet weather stability was not the best especially with surface water.

Taking into consideration that the only reason we do not run our road cars with slicks (as these would give the best grip in the dry) is the tread pattern for wet weather. The Goodyear Eagle F1 won all the tests in this category - Autocar tested them on a Vauxhall Monaro and the difference in grip over the other brands in wet conditions was significant

Okay I've had another look at the prices...

Goodyear EAGLE F1 GS-D3 225/40 ZR18 92Y XL BSW (So) 83.80

So they are actually cheaper than the Dunlops and Pirelli. Unless I get a flood of 'don't do it' style replies I'll order them tomorrow and give the local garages a call to see what fitting costs are.

I know most people will reply about lengths of string, but I got 20k out of the Pirelli tyres, will I get roughly the same out of the Goodyears?

Thanks guys...

Okay I've had another look at the prices...

Goodyear EAGLE F1 GS-D3 225/40 ZR18 92Y XL BSW (So) 83.80 

So they are actually cheaper than the Dunlops and Pirelli. Unless I get a flood of 'don't do it' style replies I'll order them tomorrow and give the local garages a call to see what fitting costs are.

I know most people will reply about lengths of string, but I got 20k out of the Pirelli tyres, will I get roughly the same out of the Goodyears?

Thanks guys...

Matt

did you have a look at the gold member tyre discount?

the dunlop 9000 is the old design,  the new one is sport maxx and this has recieved many good reviews in the german and swiss tests.

Aha, thanks for that info!

more options...

Dunlop SP SPORT MAXX 225/40 R18 ZR XL mit Felgenschutz (So) £83.90

or

Dunlop SP SPORT MAXX 225/40 ZR18 92Y XL mit Felgenschutz, BSW (So) £93.00

What is the difference in speed rating between a 92y and a zr, only links i can find seems to imply the 92 is a load rating and Y speed. Does that sound about right?

i am ordering mine tomorrow and have had pirreli s for the last 30k .will be putting toyos on this time as the pirrelis were far to skittish in the wet and pulling away in the wet was a joke ,no grip at all .

i bet they wont be anywhere as good as the Goodyears nor will they look as good  :winky:

I ordered the Goodgears, I went for this threads recommendation!

...although I was really tempted by the new dunlops, I've always had 165/60x12 dunlop rubber on my classic Mini and it is the best out of all the tyres in that size.

I have the Sport Maxx Dunlops on my 19s... (225/35 and 255/30s) they are flawless!! Very very gripy in the dry and i have alot of confidence in the wet.

Only issue i had was more road noise... but then the wheels are huge, rears almost 10x19" :lol:

i got a set of the sport maxx this afternoon 225/45/17 and they are fine, a lot quiter than my old dunlops and also seem a bit softer, these are made in germany and the other were from japan.

not had a chance for a proper drive but so far so good and at just on £100 a corner fitted i cant complain

I have the Sport Maxx Dunlops on my 19s... (225/35 and 255/30s) they are flawless!! Very very gripy in the dry and i have alot of confidence in the wet.

Only issue i had was more road noise... but then the wheels are huge, rears almost 10x19" :lol:

I cant get my head round having dunlop tyres on my car - the name dunlop in my mind is associated with dodgy trainers and old austin maxis rather than formula 1 and cool cars :winky:

go have a look a them , u might be pleasantly surprised, just as good as the rest out there, i prefer them to conti/pirelli etc.

sure i have seen dunlop of F1 cars before, but its totally irrelevant anyway as its total different technology.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links