Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Info On Buying An Altezza

Realitycheck77

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I would like some advice on buying a lexus altezza. The car that i have seen is an S-reg champagne silver, i'm told its done 65 thousand km but there is no history from Japan. There is a slight crack on the left side rear light and a slight vibrartion where the exhaust is touching the body. The seller has assured me that these minor faults will be sorted. The vibration from the exhaust he said is because he hit the exhaust as he was coming of a kerb, which in turn is now touching the body. The car seems to be in good condition and it does have the SVA paperwork and the seller is willing to give me three months warranty. I am very keen to buy the car but i would like some advice on what i need to be asking and looking out for, while in the process of buying, also can the front grill be changed into the lexus grill, in stead of altezza and is there even the slightest difference in the shape of the body compared to a V-reg UK IS200 sport? I would be very happy if you can help me out. Thank you.

The most important things to check .....

the engine needs regular oil changes, ensure this has been done.

if the exhaust is hitting the body, it has been bent a long way!, it is more than likely hitting the rear subframe.

Make sure the log book, says TOYOTA , it should not have been registerd as a Lexus(even though technically they are the same car)

as for everything else, theye are the same as an IS200 so a search on this site will reveal what to look for on the IS200

The most important things to check .....

the engine needs regular oil changes, ensure this has been done.

if the exhaust is hitting the body, it has been bent a long way!, it is more than likely hitting the rear subframe.

Make sure the log book, says TOYOTA , it should not have been registerd as a Lexus(even though technically they are the same car)

as for everything else, theye are the same as an IS200 so a search on this site will reveal what to look for on the IS200

Thanks, what does it mean if the log book says Lexus rather than Toyota? and he is willing to change the exhaust aswell as a very large spoiler on the back which i forgot to mention. When he removes the spoiler will the body work be effected?

If its the RS200 i.e. 3SGE engine it will have about 50 bhp more than the IS sport. It's a less smooth yamaha/BEAMS 4 cylinder engine.

You will also have less luxury inside such as leather seats and some other bits (unless you have a rare one)

Other than those main differences the car is bascially the same.

If you end up buying it let us know what the grill is like :P as I would like one for my altezza........

The car is in West Midlands, I went to have another look at it.

It does have a few glitches like the passenger side electric window does not work, vibration from the rear when you pull off ariel missing, but the seller asures me these are minor problems and they will be fixed. I do like the car. i also asked for 12 months warranty and he said he would put me with warranty holdings if i wanted 12 months, can any one explain how this works.

Also if i wanted to have a lexus key because at the moment it's got the key and the plastic casing is a toyota case, i would like to know if i could get a lexus key with remote controll options, how much would this cost.

Finally if i wanted to put the IS200 sport electric seats in how much would that cost and how much would it cost to get the original altezza interior re upholstered in leather?

i would be very grateful for your help, thanks

warranty holdings are in recievership.

I've been told that the Uk spec key and the Jap spec are very different so having a Lexus key may not be possible.

You could probably wander down the scrap yard to find the seats - I was quoted 1200 for all of them incl door trims. The electrics are there but I doubt the fuses are....

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links