Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

430s came in late 2000 but the sports pack didn't appear until a few months later and the real sport came out in 2003.

How do you mean the real Sport?

I think he means one that was sold as a 'Sport' with all the goodies added, rather than a GS430 with optional bodykit added

I presume it has rear privacy glass, 18" alloys for a start?

As far as I know none of the GS range (all Series) come with factory tinted windows unless the dealer uses a local tinter to be able to offer that option.

Lexus were going to release the 430 sport and therefore kitted out a bunch of SEs but they were unhappy to use the old sport suspension due to poor performance.

However it took Lexus another 2 years to come up with a solution and in the mean time the kitted out SEs were sold off with standard suspension.

In 2003 they finally have a solution they were happy with and therefore started to modify SEs again but this time with the full upgrade and officially released the Sport.

It has modified springs, shocks and anti-roll bars over the standard SE. The old sport (1999-2000) only have modified springs.

Lexus were going to release the 430 sport and therefore kitted out a bunch of SEs but they were unhappy to use the old sport suspension due to poor performance.

However it took Lexus another 2 years to come up with a solution and in the mean time the kitted out SEs were sold off with standard suspension.

In 2003 they finally have a solution they were happy with and therefore started to modify SEs again but this time with the full upgrade and officially released the Sport.

It has modified springs, shocks and anti-roll bars over the standard SE. The old sport (1999-2000) only have modified springs.

I see. So in summary the only difference in a 1999 - 2000 GS430 SE and Sport is the 18" wheels, rear spolier, front lip and lower springs?

Guys

I may be considering upgrading to a GS430 Sport and I was just wondering when the 430 was first available?  I presume it was 2001?

Cheers

Gavin

Hi Gavin,

Just to add confirmation, my last car was one of the first GS 430s, it was an SE, and was first registered in November 2000. It was a demonstrator, I bought it when 6 months old. Sat nav, etc but the demonstrators lacked one item - memory seats. When I bought mine in May 2001, there were several for sale, perhaps one at each dealer, all minus memory seats, so if looking and testing you can tell which ones these were.

The earlier ones also had very bling chromed alloys.

It is a fast car, very smooth and quiet, great sat nav, not the greatest cornering car.

I do not know exactly when the 430Sport was launched, but a search on What Car or Parkers site might give you an answer.

Regards,

Tony

• 4 months later...
Guys

I may be considering upgrading to a GS430 Sport and I was just wondering when the 430 was first available?  I presume it was 2001?

Cheers

Gavin

Hi Gavin,

Just to add confirmation, my last car was one of the first GS 430s, it was an SE, and was first registered in November 2000. It was a demonstrator, I bought it when 6 months old. Sat nav, etc but the demonstrators lacked one item - memory seats. When I bought mine in May 2001, there were several for sale, perhaps one at each dealer, all minus memory seats, so if looking and testing you can tell which ones these were.

It is a fast car, very smooth and quiet, great sat nav, not the greatest cornering car.

I do not know exactly when the 430Sport was launched, but a search on What Car or Parkers site might give you an answer.

Regards,

Tony

As a new member, I thought I might be able to help out here. I've had a few GS430 SE's and just changed my 2001 GS430 Sport for a 'true' 2003 GS430 Sport.

Bottom line is if your budget doesn't stretch to the 2003 'true' ones, a 2001 430 sport is a really different drive to the standard 430SE and is much improved. It handles a lot better and externally is identical to the 2003 model complete with the same 18" alloys and sport decals along with the spoilers front and rear.

2001 models also have the seat memory and the 100k cam belt change along with all the other 430 nice bits (like remote audio controls on the steering wheel) - my one also had sat nav which was the DVD model but the early version without the route preview and calendar capabilities. Lexus dealers also sell the 2001 version as a sport model and price it accordingly - it may only have different springs but it makes a surprisingly large difference to the handling.

The 2003 true GS430 sport is even tauter than the 2001 sport I had and handles better still. Hope that helps.

Guys

Cheers

Gavin

Hi Gavin,

Regards,

Tony

As a new member, I thought I might be able to help out here. I've had a few GS430 SE's and just changed my 2001 GS430 Sport for a 'true' 2003 GS430 Sport.

Bottom line is if your budget doesn't stretch to the 2003 'true' ones, a 2001 430 sport is a really different drive to the standard 430SE and is much improved. It handles a lot better and externally is identical to the 2003 model complete with the same 18" alloys and sport decals along with the spoilers front and rear.

2001 models also have the seat memory and the 100k cam belt change along with all the other 430 nice bits (like remote audio controls on the steering wheel) - my one also had sat nav which was the DVD model but the early version without the route preview and calendar capabilities. Lexus dealers also sell the 2001 version as a sport model and price it accordingly - it may only have different springs but it makes a surprisingly large difference to the handling.

The 2003 true GS430 sport is even tauter than the 2001 sport I had and handles better still. Hope that helps.

Does the same apply to the GS300 sport - i.e the 'real ones' are post 2003?

regards Pete

mines a 1999 GS300 sport

has 18" wheels, lowered springs rear spoiler front splitter and hid headlights.

Im happy with the way the car drives and handles, but to be honest I havent driven a newer updated sport to compare. afaik non of the newer mk2 gs300's came with hid lights as standard and most of the sports were just SE's with some body parts.

Does the same apply to the GS300 sport - i.e the 'real ones' are post 2003?

regards Pete

The GS300 sport came out in 1999 which was a lowered SE with Eibach springs and these were real sports, although the ride quality isn't the greatest.

When the facelift came out oct/nov 2000 the sport was discontinued. In 2001 Lexus GS cosmetically modified a number of GS430s, and probably GS300 too, thinking the new suspension would be ready very soon however it never came and the cars were sold with standard face lift suspension.

In the middle of 2003 Lexus GB finally came up with suspension that they were happy with and the sport was once again sold as a real model. This car has modified springs, shocks and roll bars compared to the standard SE and is meant to handle and ride better than the 1999-2000 models.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links