Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Buying A Lexus

I am interested in buying either a 200 or 400, but am concerned over the cost of running a 400. I do around 12 to 15k per year, mostly reasonable distances. I have been driving a Toyota Avensis 2.0 CDX for 7 years now and have been impressed with the reliability, 32mpg and servicing costs.

I am looking at a 400 at Lexus Guildford, £14,995 which has 65k on the clock. Does this represent value for money?

Any other advice you can give a Lexus novice?

Two cars a world apart though. An IS is more of a hard drive. Sporty some would argue, but the LS is a proper luxury drive but think the mpg would be most off putting. I own an IS200 and average around 28mpg mainly short distances though.

No doubt others will be along shortly to offer advice. Good luck with whatever you decide. Welcome to LOC. :D

When I bought my LS it was because I was looking for a top end motor, XJ6,Mercedes etc. I came across the Lexus and fell in love. One of the best cars I have ever owned. Only got rid of her 'cos she was getting old. But the car was bought to suit my needs.

The differences between an iS and LS are vast. If fuel consumption is an issue then forget the LS in comparision to an Avensis.

The iS and LS are totally different driving experiences. The LS drives itself !

The iS is much more of a drivers car. Have you considered the GS range?

Your driving needs should determine your choice. Make a list of priorities of what you need the most. Luxury ? M.P.G. Drivability,bootspace etc. Then find the Lexus model that ticks the boxes. There will be one that does.

I run an LS430 and most of my travelling is motorway. On a long run the LS gets between 26 and 28 mpg and this drops to about 17-18 around town. Very comfortable quiet car compared to IS. I had IS200 auto whilst the LS was being serviced and got about 28 mpg on a long run so running costs are about similar on the motorway. The big difference (other than the size) is the LS is very quiet, soft riding luxury and the IS is much more hard riding and noisy, although by no means bad.

My suggestion is to take the LS for a long motorway drive and be blown away.

Hi,

I can only comment about my old mk1 1991 LS400 and my bosses IS200 SE Auto to compare each.I believe the new the LS400 or LS430 the better it will be on fuel :unsure: correct me newer LS owners.Around town my LS would do roughly 18 to 20 mpg,my bosses IS is a little better may be 20 or 22mpg.Its the starting the engine from cold where you will see a bigger difference,the V8 will use alot more to warm up,alot of short trips it will drink it.Once the V8 is warm theres little between the two models around town,on a run my LS would do around 30mpg give or take how hard you drive it.Handling the IS wins hands down,performance the LS is sooo much quicker than his IS auto.The newer LS models even quicker.There both well made cars but the LS is fair better performance for around the same mpg.

Im just telling it how i see it,so no offence to be taken guys.

The parts/labour are expensive for both models.

What ever model you go for get FLSH.

Hope thats of some help.

Cheers chips.

Depreciation is a bigger cost than fuel even with the massive taxes we have to pay in the UK.

Riding in other people's cars, they seem harsh riding and noisy compared to an LS or even the IS. I'd go for the LS.

Thank you for all the responses. I am having a test drive next Monday (Lexus Guildford) in both so will see which I prefer. They will also give me some idea of servicing costs (which I will treat with due respect). I incline towards the LS400 mainly because I would like a bit of luxury in my old age. The petrol consumption is not such a problem if I don't have to use the car for work (all stop start) which I do at present. I may be changing jobs shortly (fingers crossed) and if so will not need to use the car.

I would keep the car for some years, so hopefully the depreciation will not be such a problem.

I may be changing jobs shortly (fingers crossed) and if so will not need to use the car.

I would keep the car for some years, so hopefully the depreciation will not be such a problem.

You could go for a high milage car if your not going to be using it that much and if your keeping it for a while the depreciation shouldnt be to bad as you wont be piling on the miles....just make sure the history is up to date ;)

Also dont pay the asking price,how ever much you like the car,no cars are really selling very well of late,ive been trying to sale my LS400 for 3 or more months now and im only looking for less than 2 grand,or a near offer :yawn: so haggle hard if you go for a LS,its a buyers market at present,you could always make me a offer :D and save £13 grand ;) or more!! :lol:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=22750

cheers chips.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links