Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Started My Airflow Headlight Today

TheDon

Well i have been threatening to do this for a while and was feeling a bit engergetic today. have to say its not the easiest thing i have ever done, but im determined to get it done for JAE.

heres the photos so far -

gallery_2966_134_76886.jpg

with just the fibreglass skim over polyurethane foam

gallery_2966_134_81831.jpg

with a little bit of filler to make good the corners etc,

when completed the indicators will remain intact and working along with a fully working sidelight.

question is - would this be street legal? its mostly gonna be for shows but would be easier if i could fit at home, drive up then take off when at home

pretty sure it would be illegal to have thm on whilst on the roads bud, you need to have a main and dip beam headlight on the car for an MOT, so i guess it's the same principles.

Looks good tho bud, keep posting up your progress!

Stu

well i have adapted it so it only needs on singe bolt to attach rather than the 2 it started with.

Cant wait to have it finished as its been on my list for over a year now.

Not bad Chris, though not street legal ...........

Me personally, would have cut out the "holes" in the headlight .......... so it matched the other side, only "hollow"

If that makes sense ? ....................

Keep us posted ! :D

I got a couple of old motorbikes with no lights at all and that includes brake lights. As far as the MOT goes "if they are fitted they must work", they give you a "daytime only" MOT so perfectly legal as long as you are not out after lighting up time. Would assume a car is the same but not too sure.

would have done the twin "hole" air intake but the monster already owns a set he made and had to re-think my plans!

The do-luck skyline has a set that were so sexy that i had to base my designs on em.

will only realy use them for show purposes or if i ever get round to taking it up the strip or a track day then im sure it will be useful!

or could always loan it out to special members for the strip.

I got a couple of old motorbikes with no lights at all and that includes brake lights. As far as the MOT goes "if they are fitted they must work", they give you a "daytime only" MOT so perfectly legal as long as you are not out after lighting up time. Would assume a car is the same but not too sure.

That is correct, a car requires for daytime highway use,

working brake lights only, preferably indicators, however, as you should know Hand signals, ( as shown in the Highway Code) indicators are still not required for a daytime MOT, neither are wipers, however a Horn IS required as this is a means to indicate your presence

well i have layered another 3 layers of fibreglass matt on the areas needed as i want it to be super strong.

I also filled in the last areas with fibreglass filler and have sanded everything down so its 80% smooth.

so its nearly ready for paint! have to say i cant wait to see this on the car!

well i have layered another 3 layers of fibreglass matt on the areas needed as i want it to be super strong.

I also filled in the last areas with fibreglass filler and have sanded everything down so its 80% smooth.

so its nearly ready for paint! have to say i cant wait to see this on the car!

AHHHHHH i love it get it on your car asap, i wanted to do this to mine after seeing a scoobie with one done in japanese performance mag.

How do u cut the head light out or does it just unclip, any info like web page etc would be good.

What filler you using?

Also pictures would be great you said the monster has some already on it ????????

ohhhh race race race! altho i have seen the finished one the moster has!!

As for filler, i used the standard fibreglass filler from halfrauds. The fibreglass resin was from a bodyshop supplies shop and cost £20 for 2.5 litres plus the liquid hardener. much better than the ******* from Halfords.

ohhhh race race race! altho i have seen the finished one the moster has!!

As for filler, i used the standard fibreglass filler from halfrauds. The fibreglass resin was from a bodyshop supplies shop and cost £20 for 2.5 litres plus the liquid hardener. much better than the ******* from halfords.

Hows it going any progress any pics of it on the car

unfortunately got back from work late and it was raining so no progress so far but i think i should have it finished by sunday. need to get me some more filler for the final finish then primer and paint!

Can see me getting very picky, and hope i can actualy get it finished and not keep nit picking it!

unfortunately got back from work late and it was raining so no progress so far but i think i should have it finished by sunday. need to get me some more filler for the final finish then primer and paint!

Can see me getting very picky, and hope i can actualy get it finished and not keep nit picking it!

cool get some photos on a soon as u can

cool get some photos on a soon as u can

has anyone tried putting a ducted bonnet or roof scoop on yet as i would be loathe to disassemble a headlight mind you will be very interesting to see the final result

working brake lights only, preferably indicators, however, as you should know Hand signals, ( as shown in the Highway Code) indicators are still not required for a daytime MOT, neither are wipers, however a Horn IS required as this is a means to indicate your presence

Actually incorrect:

If the vehicle has switchgear for lights(on a m/bike) you have to have them,but not if the s/gear is taken off. :D

Actually incorrect:

If the vehicle has switchgear for lights(on a m/bike) you have to have them,but not if the s/gear is taken off. :D

Ah, yes, have an old trials bike and it has to have an electric horn cos it was registered after 1970 something. Got away with a bulb horn for years. Anyway had to refit the L/H handlebar switch for the horn push but took out the light switches to pass the MOT.

Actually incorrect:

Ah, yes, have an old trials bike and it has to have an electric horn cos it was registered after 1970 something. Got away with a bulb horn for years. Anyway had to refit the L/H handlebar switch for the horn push but took out the light switches to pass the MOT.

Have u got it on your car yet ????

the paint is drying as we speak...

Bloody halfrauds mixed paint in a can caused me ***** loads of trouble, but after my show tomorrow i am taking it off and handing it over to my mate at the bodyshop and have it sprayed in 2 pack.

Will try and get some photos up tomorrow as its getting fitted to the car prior to the show.

but it does look good! lets hope it helps get some more cold air to the engine bay!

the paint is drying as we speak...

Bloody halfrauds mixed paint in a can caused me ***** loads of trouble, but after my show tomorrow i am taking it off and handing it over to my mate at the bodyshop and have it sprayed in 2 pack.

Will try and get some photos up tomorrow as its getting fitted to the car prior to the show.

but it does look good! lets hope it helps get some more cold air to the engine bay!

Sounds wicked get some piccys, are u going to the JAE cos i might buy a head light and start it but if i get into a pickel was wondering if i could bring along and maybe get some help. Let me know.

Cheers

gallery_2966_134_68769.jpg

gallery_2966_134_11637.jpg

here are a couple of pics with the first load of paint on.

Going to re-do the indicator section with LED's next time though so it will be a little more interesting

On a trip down the A13 at legal speeds it definately felt good!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links