Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Another House Question

Fidgits

hi guys,

sorry, but another house question, mainly because you were so good on the last one!

I'm considering putting in an offer on a house which, well, could do with 'freshening up'.

It looks like it hasnt been touched in about 10 years, and although only the hallway is wallpapered, every room will need repainting (3 bed house), it will need a new kitchen and bathroom.

can you give me an idea of how much it would cost to do this? I know it can vary, but working on the principal i want something reasonable, that isnt too expensive, that will look nice.

Just looking for a ballpark to whether i could take on this house or not...

The floors are okay, and the windows just need rubbing down and protecting.

thanks in advance...

kitchen roughly £2000,can be done cheaper but with lower quality units .bathroom suite will be around the £400 range for a half decent one .you can double the price on both if you need someone else to fit them .i would budget for around 8 grand to do a nice job but tbh its a ball park figure as prices realy varie on quality etc .looked at a small house myself the other day but it needed tons of work so went for a new apartment in maidstone instead as the thought of more diy made me feel a bit ill :D

yeah, i had a look at kitchen prices, but its almost impossible to work out how much it would cost...

assuming the current one has a good carcass, could i just replace the doors and surface? I guess that would be a lot cheaper, and even I could manage that (I think)

yeah, i had a look at kitchen prices, but its almost impossible to work out how much it would cost...

assuming the current one has a good carcass, could i just replace the doors and surface? I guess that would be a lot cheaper, and even I could manage that (I think)

Now your getting it :winky:

How old is it? If kitchen & bathroom need doing then what about electrics and plumbing ( if an old house ).

If carcases are OK then doors and tops is a quick and cheap root, but again depending on age they may be non-standard sizes. There are places that will make & fit them for you, but don't assume you can get them off the shelf if not metric sizes.

the house is mid to late 80's I'd say. Maybe early 90's - kitchen and bathroom just seem like they havent been changed since it was built.

My issue with Ikea is the whole 'follow the path, see everything' approach... the stuff is good, just hate the crowds and the shuffling through the store...

okay, cheers...

also - another question (figured better than having 2 threads on the subject).

Does number of bathrooms have a significant effect on price?

you see - i'm interested in 2 similar houses, which i think i could get for a similar price. One is moderised, with a single family bathroom, and the other is the one in need of updating, but has bathroom, en suite, and downstairs wc?

okay, cheers...

also - another question (figured better than having 2 threads on the subject).

Does number of bathrooms have a significant effect on price?

you see - i'm interested in 2 similar houses, which i think i could get for a similar price. One is moderised, with a single family bathroom, and the other is the one in need of updating, but has bathroom, en suite, and downstairs wc?

in my opinion en suite does make a difference in the price as it comes in handy if you have a family. also the downstairs toilet makes a difference. Don't have to keep hiking up the stairs when you need the loo or if one loo is busy.

If you have never had a en suite you don,t know what you are missing. Once you have had one you can,t live without one, well the wife certainly can't anyway.

Go for the ensuite and extra loo as all new houses have them and you will be able to sell alot quicker if need too.

Fidge if this is house 1 go for it :P hehe

You can always back out at the last minute, better than recieving news that someone else has bought it..

also.... get your mum to go to ikea for you. They love it!

Fidge if this is house 1 go for it :P hehe

You can always back out at the last minute, better than recieving news that someone else has bought it..

also.... get your mum to go to ikea for you. They love it!

Matt, my Mum lives about 7 hours from me... :lol:

hi guys,

sorry, but another house question, mainly because you were so good on the last one!

I'm considering putting in an offer on a house which, well, could do with 'freshening up'.

It looks like it hasnt been touched in about 10 years, and although only the hallway is wallpapered, every room will need repainting (3 bed house), it will need a new kitchen and bathroom.

can you give me an idea of how much it would cost to do this? I know it can vary, but working on the principal i want something reasonable, that isnt too expensive, that will look nice.

Just looking for a ballpark to whether i could take on this house or not...

The floors are okay, and the windows just need rubbing down and protecting.

thanks in advance...

We bought our 4 bed Victorian Terrace 3 years ago. It had been lived in by the same couple for 30 yrs previous so was in need of complete modernisation. We have finished just this week.

Approximate break down of work:

Rewire, replumbing, new central heating system, damp proof course, new kitchen floor, new fitted bathroom, new fitted kitchen, removal of 5 1930's fire places and makiing good, replastering of bathrooms and kitchen, patch platering throughout, double glazing, fitting of Victorian Fire place, removal of asbestos garage, complete garden landscaping, stripping and polish of all floors, complete redecoration through out.

In total we have spect in teh region of £40 - £45k :sick:

However house has since doubled in value :D

Always use local builders and decorators. get a fancy kitchen co to design the kitchen free of charge then use their design to buy kitchen from Ikea. We saved £10k doing that!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links