Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Has anyone moved from an IS to a GS? I would be interested in your thoughts about the two cars and the pros and cons of either. Currently drive the IS sport (2000) but have always admired the GS.

I just do local country 'out of town' driving with the few long hauls.

Thanks

I have had two IS200's, and switched to a GS430 sport in september. I liked the IS, and was quite happy with mine. But, I wanted a more powerful car - and I was also becoming less impressed with the IS becoming so common on the roads (and the state of some of the IS's on the roads).

without a shadow of a doubt - the GS is a better car. I am very happy with mine, and when I get an IS as a courtesy car from Lexus - I am glad to get back into the GS. The IS is entry level Lexus, and the GS is next level up - and you can tell.

Its more comfortable - nice big leather seats, with a huge padded arm rest with loads of storage space in it.

its "nicer" inside - not as much black plastic.

of course its quicker - but you cant compare the 3.0 or 4.3 litre engines to the IS's 2.0. What is noticeable is how much more smoother and refined it is, and how subtley it puts the power down.

I had a GS300 for a weekend, and bough a GS430. Initially, in both cars I was quite inapproptiately speeding (45-50mph in a 30 :blush: )simply because its not so apparent that you are going that fast.

They are very quiet - you can cruise at motorway speeds, with a CD / radio on the background - and talk at a normal volume.

The downside is the suspension / handling. The IS does handle better than the GS. Yeah - you can change suspension compenents to improve it (as I am) - but you have to compare stock to stock. If you want to be throwing the car around bends, you'll probably find it doesnt take them as well as the IS.

I would strongly recommend you test drive one. Work out which model you are interested in, and get an extended test drive off Lexus. When I spoke to Lexus Chester, and made it clear I was a definite prospective buyer, I was given a GS300 for a whole weekend to test drive unaccompanied.

See what you think of it. If you have any specific questions about anything, feel free to post them.

Hopefully people like Claire, Colin and Brett will let you know their experiences of swapping models.

You cannot throw the GS around like you can with an IS and whilst the GS300 is faster than the IS200 it doesn't feel like it and lacks a bit of excitment, which is where the GS430 comes in :)

Also be prepared to spend more on fuel.

I have had two IS200's, and switched to a GS430 sport in september. I liked the IS, and was quite happy with mine. But, I wanted a more powerful car - and I was also becoming less impressed with the IS becoming so common on the roads (and the state of some of the IS's on the roads).

without a shadow of a doubt - the GS is a better car. I am very happy with mine, and when I get an IS as a courtesy car from Lexus - I am glad to get back into the GS. The IS is entry level Lexus, and the GS is next level up - and you can tell.

Its more comfortable - nice big leather seats, with a huge padded arm rest with loads of storage space in it.

its "nicer" inside - not as much black plastic.

of course its quicker - but you cant compare the 3.0 or 4.3 litre engines to the IS's 2.0. What is noticeable is how much more smoother and refined it is, and how subtley it puts the power down.

I had a GS300 for a weekend, and bough a GS430. Initially, in both cars I was quite inapproptiately speeding (45-50mph in a 30  :blush: )simply because its not so apparent that you are going that fast.

They are very quiet - you can cruise at motorway speeds, with a CD / radio on the background - and talk at a normal volume.

The downside is the suspension / handling. The IS does handle better than the GS. Yeah - you can change suspension compenents to improve it (as I am) - but you have to compare stock to stock. If you want to be throwing the car around bends, you'll probably find it doesnt take them as well as the IS.

I would strongly recommend you test drive one. Work out which model you are interested in, and get an extended test drive off Lexus. When I spoke to Lexus Chester, and made it clear I was a definite prospective buyer, I was given a GS300 for a whole weekend to test drive unaccompanied.

See what you think of it. If you have any specific questions about anything, feel free to post them.

Hopefully people like Claire, Colin and Brett will let you know their experiences of swapping models.

Thanks ScarFace, Matthew and Colin must say I've admired the photo's of Matthews car for some time now - shows what a real beauty the GS is!

I was going for the GS but my 15 year old daughter diverted me towards the IS as the car is used to drive her to school - more street cred I suppose. I am in agreement with all the point you raise and the only question mark I have is to do with size. Does the GS feel as large as it looks when driving - it appears a lot bigger than the IS. I find the IS a pain when reversing - is the GS the same or is it something you just get use to?

The driving ability of the IS is very good but swinging it around the lanes is not on my priority list. Sure if I need to get from a - b fast then ok but not as a matter of driving style.

Anyway I think the IS is a great car - my first Lexus and very impressed - it's just that I have this little niggle in the back of my mind telling me I should have bought my daughter a corgi model of the IS and me the full size GS.

Thanks once again

pete

I was very happy with my IS, it was my first REAL car, but moving upto the GS is another Level for me, Im a big lad, 6'2" tall and almost as wide and the GS just suits my frame so much better, I had to have the moon roof inner flap open for my head to be comfy in the IS, Driving the car feels around the same as the IS size wise and I think I can actually see better out of the rear window on the GS to better judge parking, I have a 99 sport model which came lowered with Xenon headlights and 18" wheels, front spoiler and boot spoiler, so it looks a little more sporty than a standard SE model. I do agree with the handling, on a motorway the GS wins hands down but on a twisty road the IS is just a little bit flatter, nothing some sway bars and aftermarket suspension couldnt handle.

The GS has a few more toys too such as the rear view mirrors turn dark green when there's a dazzling light behind you, infact the only thing it doesn have is electric folding mirrors.

By the way you didnt make it clear if it was an older GS or one of the brand new GS's you were looking at?

if its a new GS then I think its a giant leap up.

The GS does feel a lot bigger, can be a pain to park.

The Mk.2 is easier to park than the Mk.1 though, as you can see the edge of the boot lid on the Mk.2 - with the Mk.1, you can see out the back but you know there's at least a foot more car out there that you can't see!

Of course, I've added parking sensors now and it's even easier!

The GS does feel a lot bigger, can be a pain to park.

I'd disagree there Col.

It is bigger - agree there :D

but I've never had any trouble parking either an IS or GS.

I always back into a space, and the only "problem" I had was initially on getting the IS.

Moving from a front wheel drive car to a rear wheel drive one, it "pulls in" in much less space - when I first got the IS I was going much to far past a bay before trying to reverse in.

I was very happy with my IS, it was my first REAL car, but moving upto the GS is another Level for me, Im a big lad, 6'2" tall and almost as wide and the GS just suits my frame so much better, I had to have the moon roof inner flap open for my head to be comfy in the IS, Driving the car feels around the same as the IS size wise and I think I can actually see better out of the rear window on the GS to better judge parking, I have a 99 sport model which came lowered with Xenon headlights and 18" wheels, front spoiler and boot spoiler, so it  looks a little more sporty than a standard SE model. I do agree with the handling, on a motorway the GS wins hands down but on a twisty road the IS is just a little bit flatter, nothing some sway bars and aftermarket suspension couldnt handle.

The GS has a few more toys too such as the rear view mirrors turn dark green when there's a dazzling light behind you, infact the only thing it doesn have is electric folding mirrors.

By the way you didnt make it clear if it was an older GS or one of the brand new GS's you were looking at?

if its a new GS then I think its a giant leap up.

HI Brettster,

When I first went to the Lexus garage to compare an IS to the GS they had a couple of new GS's there - they look a lot nicer in the flesh than in photo's - a real stunner. Although I agree that the whole package appears to be a giant step up, there is something classic about the shape of the previous model I like. It has a quite presence on the road - a bit like the Bristol 411 when they came out in the 70's. You know, quality and individuality combined. I also think they are incredible value for money when you look at the 3-5year prices of the cars.

Owning new is not something I normally go for - I have a thing about depreciation on new cars and the new GS would have to hit the 25- 28k mark before I got tempted. I have been driving around in a 17 year old volvo 340gl for the last six months, got me from a - b and turned me off buying the big bucks cars. Can't see the point now, especially when you have the quality and comfort of Lexus around at such reasonable second hand prices.

I went from the IS200 Sport to a 99 model GS300 Sport. It was the perfect combination for me as I wanted the looks and needed the size. It's my version of a sensible family car!

I thought I'd find the GS harder to park than the IS, but it's amazing how quickly you get used to the size, and it's really never been a problem. It provides a great drive although as has been said, if you want to fling around corners, it won't be the car for you.

The majority of my driving is in-town which pushes the petrol consumption up, but I find it worth it as I like the comfort relating to an auto. On the odd-long haul motorway drives I do, I get out the other side still feeling refreshed as if I've had a quick drive to the shops.

I think the majority of the plus points have been covered but for me now, the GS wins over the IS hands down. It's a good combination of luxury and looks and suits my family needs (although the sport being slightly lower can be a pain in the bum - I grounded my car on my grandparent's steep drive and the car is now relegated to the road when I visit them!)

I went from the IS200 Sport to a 99 model GS300 Sport. It was the perfect combination for me as I wanted the looks and needed the size. It's my version of a sensible family car!

I thought I'd find the GS harder to park than the IS, but it's amazing how quickly you get used to the size, and it's really never been a problem.  It provides a great drive although as has been said, if you want to fling around corners, it won't be the car for you.

The majority of my driving is in-town which pushes the petrol consumption up, but I find it worth it as I like the comfort relating to an auto. On the odd-long haul motorway drives I do, I get out the other side still feeling refreshed as if I've had a quick drive to the shops.

I think the majority of the plus points have been covered but for me now, the GS wins over the IS hands down. It's a good combination of luxury and looks and suits my family needs (although the sport being slightly lower can be a pain in the bum - I grounded my car on my grandparent's steep drive and the car is now relegated to the road when I visit them!)

Thanks Claire - yep its the luxury and looks part which I am being drawn to, must also add its reliability reputation.

Anyway I think the only way to address that little niggle of mine is to try one out. I will give the IS sport another month so that it's character sits a little better in my bones and in the meantime keep my eye open for a good GS to try.

regards,

pete

I have a 5 year old GS300 and twice now they have lent me a new IS200 as a courtesy car.

I am always pleased to get back in the 300. Now I'm going to upset the IS lovers. I think it's as flat as a fart. I can't believe how little it has got until you get close to 6000rpm. The GS just takes off at any rev range.

Also if you drive legal you will find that in top gear (6th) at 75-80 on the motorway, there is an annoying reverberation - I think it's from the drive shaft. It's easily cured by dropping down to 5th but of course it will push up the consumption. I too am disappointed by the bumping banging and crashing of the GS300 over rough roads - the IS is much better, but there is more general engine noise.

I also much prefer the decor of the GS - the IS seems very brash in comparison.

Mike

I have a 5 year old GS300 and twice now they have lent me a new IS200 as a courtesy car.

I am always pleased to get back in the 300.  Now I'm going to upset the IS lovers.  I think it's as flat as a fart.  I can't believe how little it has got until you get close to 6000rpm.  The GS just takes off at any rev range.

Also if you drive legal you will find that in top gear (6th) at 75-80 on the motorway, there is an annoying reverberation - I think it's from the drive shaft.  It's easily cured by dropping down to 5th but of course it will push up the consumption.  I too am disappointed by the bumping banging and crashing of the GS300 over rough roads - the IS is much better, but there is more general engine noise.

I also much prefer the decor of the GS - the IS seems very brash in comparison.

Mike

Thanks Mike - I very much agree with you about the flatness especially in 5/6 gear. When I first came across it I thought the engine had fallen out. Having said that when I have had to go a little faster on the local winding roads, the holding and drive is very very good in 2nd to 4th gear above 4/5k rpm. Don't know what it does to the consumption though.

Ok you may think that I am easily impressed as I jumped out of a 17 year old volvo 340gl into a Lexus IS Sport but six month earlier I was driving a 993 and before that a 996. So for what it is, the IS Lexus does a great job in the lower gears higher revs thing -can't understand why they were happy with the power trough in the other areas. There must be a reason.

The other thing of interest, is your mention of the ' bumping, banging and crashing of the GS300 over rough roads'. Somehow I though the GS would be more friendly in this area - unless your talking about farm tracks.

regards

pete

The other thing of interest, is your mention of the ' bumping, banging and crashing of the GS300 over rough roads'. Somehow I though the GS would be more friendly in this area - unless your talking about farm tracks.

regards

pete

No I'm talking about ordinary urban roads - lumps and bumps, grates, changes in surface, all produce thumps and a jarring in the GS300. I understand it's supposed to be better in the latest version but mine is dreadful compared to my previous BMW 7 - which I thought was pretty bad compared to a big Jag saloon I had before that.

As I say the IS200 seems better insulated from the jarring and thumping than the GS300 (Mk 2)

By the way on Monday they lent me an RX300 and I was very impressed with the quietness of the ride in that - also the (relative) lack of roll for such a high car. Performance was very acceptable too although it was a bit noiser than the 300. It also seemed 'skittier' - in other words I seemed to be getting rocked about left to right and forward to back, but not in a lazy rolling kind of way like a big American car - does the RX have a shorter wheelbase than the 300?

Mike

Mine was the MkII GS300 - I like the 2JG engine (also in the older Supra models) and gives good acceleration on straight expressways ... even when launched from stationary ... which the IS200's 1G-FE engine cannot match ... perhaps the IS300, which uses the same 2JG engine as the GS300.

However,

My present IS200 thrills me everytime on tight bends at speed. Nothing beats it ... not even a BMW 318i (2L Valvetronic E-46). I say this based on numerous test drives I have done on both cars, before I bought the IS200.

Its steering response is so direct and its weight distribution is so balanced.

p.s. From auto circles 'in the know', the IS200 is really an reincarnation of Toyota's classic Trueno / Levin.

Mine was the MkII GS300 - I like the 2JG engine (also in the older Supra models) and gives good acceleration on straight expressways ... even when launched from stationary ... which the IS200's 1G-FE engine cannot match ... perhaps the IS300, which uses the same 2JG engine as the GS300.

However,

My present IS200 thrills me everytime on tight bends at speed.  Nothing beats it ... not even a BMW 318i (2L Valvetronic E-46).  I say this based on numerous test drives I have done on both cars, before I bought the IS200.

Its steering response is so direct and its weight distribution is so balanced.

p.s.  From auto circles 'in the know', the IS200 is really an reincarnation of Toyota's classic Trueno / Levin.

I agree Astrid, the IS 200 is very well balanced in tight corners at speed. It really surprised me when I came across it. I think it is one of the cars strengths and certainly a lot of drivers enjoy that particular aspect.

pete

got back in my GS the other day and it felt great.. smooth and the power was great after driving something slower.

GS has bags more room than the IS and I prefered the GS over the IS.. Especially the interior

Only bit i liked was the handling of the IS... I never worry too much over fuel costs... if your gonna ride first class then dont expect to pay economy class. Its not that bad anyway

got back in my GS the other day and it felt great.. smooth and the power was great after driving something slower.

GS has bags more room than the IS and I prefered the GS over the IS.. Especially the interior

Only bit i liked was the handling of the IS... I never worry too much over fuel costs... if your gonna ride first class then dont expect to pay economy class. Its not that bad anyway

General question - would you buy a 2003/4 GS430 SE or put a few more grand together and buy a new model gs 300? Seems the diff is around 3/4k?

General question - would you buy a 2003/4  GS430 SE or put a few more grand together and buy a new model gs 300?  Seems the diff is around 3/4k?

Definitely go for the new one if you can afford it, it is a great drive :)

General question - would you buy a 2003/4  GS430 SE or put a few more grand together and buy a new model gs 300?  Seems the diff is around 3/4k?

Swings and roundabouts mate.

The used GS430 will be quicker. But thirstier. But - someone else will have have taken the big depreciation hit.

The new GS will probably be more economical. And it will be new - gotta love the new car experience. But then you will face the drop in value the second you drive it out of the delivery bay.

I say test drive them both - extensively. Get insurance quotes. Make your on decision based on your own objective criteria (not having a pop at you bud - just saying, we dont know what you want from a car. Test driving them will allow you to make your decision based on the factors that are important to you :) ). And of course - keep us up to date on your progress :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links