Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Should I Or Shouldn't I?

saracen

I just took delivery of an SC a few months ago, considered the usual suspects, and settled on a deal with hatfield. 02 reg, 7k miles, great price.

Delighted and convinced I made the right choice.

I am all over the country and since June I have seen only 4/5 similar models on the road, so there is a bit of exclusivity.

As for costs, get about 340 miles from a full tank.

Go for hit

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, thanks for some great feedback. I am pretty much (95%) made my mind up to getting the SC430. Had some interesting information from a couple of dealers which puts the servicing costs very close to the IS. Plus the fuel consumption is not that much of an issue (i.e. I've managed to convince myself that 300+ is great economy for a car with that engine size...)

My current car is due to go back in March next year so I have a bit of time to find the perfect model, although if I see what I'm looking for then I would do a deal tomorrow!

I had a look at the import model from Jem but call me a snob but it had a Toyota badge on it! :yack: :whistling: Just kidding, I didn't fancy the idea of having to pay an additonal £2K to get the sat nav to work over here.

In the meantime if anyone sees for sale a good example of an SC in Platinum ice with low mileage please let me know :driving:

Aquanuke, I notice in your "garage" that you have the Luxlink remote top and starter, is this something that was easy to fit?  Did it come with full instructions? Would a Lexus dealer fit this for me?

Please bear with me as I am a new member and this is the first time I have ever posted on a bboard so if I do anything wrong or breach any protocols feel free to correct me!!

I traded my Jag S-type last weekend for a 2002 sc430 and after reading all the comments on this board I decided to take the plunge. The car has only done 19000 miles so I am hoping my ownership will be trouble free. I am also interested in the remote starter and top and have tracked the supplier down in the States, he advises that a reasonably competent fitter should be able to complete?

The problem is I have the Lexus 12 month warranty and don't want to jeopordise it, does anyone have any comments on this aspect? The obvious solution would be if a Lexus dealer would fit?

The Luxlink is made by Luxurymotorworks.com so you can only buy it there. I would doubt very much if any UK dealers have heard of it let alone fitted one.

I have the remote top and remote start on the same module it comes with instructions and I think he even offers a DVD showing installation.

If you have the remote starter as well then it requires disabling the imobiliser.

I would suggest you do what I did and just have a local car audio fitter install it, the Luxlink is very discreet (size of a matchbox) so I dont think anyone would notice it in a insurance claim or warranty claim.

I dont see how it would effect warranty much like if you put an aftermarket radio in then that wouldnt void the cars warranty.

If you live nr south london then I can recommend the car that fitted mine.

As for the Luxlink itself, its a very neat gizmo and turns alot of heads when they see the roof going up and down on its own!

The only way a warranty can be voided in this respect is that, in the event of a component failure, the dealer must prove that it failed as a result of an aftermarket part or modification.

The onus is on the dealer to provide the proof.

So, if I were you, I would go along to am independent garage or fitter and save yourself a bunch of money!

BTW welcome to LOC :D

The only way a warranty can be voided in this respect is that, in the event of a component failure, the dealer must prove that it failed as a result of an aftermarket part or modification.

The onus is on the dealer to provide the proof.

So, if I were you, I would go along to am independent garage or fitter and save yourself a bunch of money!

BTW welcome to LOC  :D

Many thanks for all your help, I will be ordering the roof soon and have found a fitter for £75.00 :D

BTW The new Luxlink comes with additional features, I believe thats why it says on the site their out of stock.. im pretty sure they stopped selling them whilst the new one was being tested.

Anyway I would try and get the new one. The only thing I know about it is it also operates the rear quarter windows.

BTW The new Luxlink comes with additional features, I believe thats why it says on the site their out of stock.. im pretty sure they stopped selling them whilst the new one was being tested.

Anyway I would try and get the new one. The only thing I know about it is it also operates the rear quarter windows.

Thanks for the tip, I will hold for the new version, I see you have DVD facility is that only possible with the Soarers or do you know if the UK spec cars can be converted for DVD or TV? If so any contact details gratefully received :question:

I see you have DVD facility is that only possible with the Soarers or do you know if the UK spec cars can be converted for DVD or TV? If so any contact details gratefully received :question:

I dont see why you cant change a UK one, as I dont have one cant really say how though. Any good car audio installer will should be able to do it and charge you by the hour for labour.

As for mine, the Japs come with TV but its NTSC. So the TV tuner was removed, replaced with a standard PAL TV tuner and then the monitor had to be converted to PAL to work.

Once the TV tuner was in I had 2 pairs of AUX AV inputs extra on the TV tuner. One I used to connect up the DVD/MP3 changer and the other for a line in for my Ipod. Plus there was an extra AV input on the DVD changer, so I have another spare input for a playstation, camera etc..

The hard bit was converting the monitor to PAL.. you wouldnt have to do that, so in theory it should be easier for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Having read all the comments and having had the test drive I bit the bullet and bought one ….. This is day 1 …. Brilliant so far ……. I have had the big BMWs and the fast BMWs not to mention many other models, but this is super ….. Big grin so far …

Having read all the comments and having had the test drive I bit the bullet and bought one ….. This is day 1 …. Brilliant so far ……. I have had the big BMWs and the fast BMWs not to mention many other models, but this is super ….. Big grin so far …

Congradulations and I hope you have many miles of fun! I know you will just from the reactions the car seems to invoke, I was astounded yesterday when in traffic a middle aged lady crossing the road stopped half way across pointed and said nice car (the top was down with kids in the back)! I have owned various vehicles including a couple of traditional sports cars but none have drawn so much attention, I should have bought one when I was young free and single :D

Adding UK TV to a UK supplied car is not a problem - it is just done a bit different to that of a Jap import. As has been stated, a Jap import has a TV tuner feed in place.

You may like to check my pictures here http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=26760

Wow superb (did you buy that shirt off the shopping channel)? :lol:

Seriously I must try and get mine converted any good contact numbers much appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...

Well it had to happen, I've made my mind up and realised that I wouldn't be able to find a suitable SC430 that I was 100% happy with and so will be picking up a new IS 250 SE-L on March 1st next year. Thanks guys for all the help and advice.

I guess in the end the head won over the heart!

• 1 year later...

UPDATE!

I bought a new IS250 in 2005 and I did like it but in the back of my mind I kept wishing I'd bought an SC. A chance chat with the guy who sold me the IS revealed that a low mileage SC in my spec (Silver with black) was available but he hadn't seen it. Had a look and a test drive and the long and short of it is I am the proud owner of 2003 SC with less than 15K on the clock. :driving: Pick her up on Sunday - can't wait!!

Too bad the worst rain for decades is happening at the moment - I'll be itching to get that roof off at every opportunity!

Yep.. you have to keep looking until you find the right one!

I spent 2 months last fall, looking at about 10 in the end... some were looking very much like what you'd expect of a used car with 20 - 40K on the clock.. on the 9th I was in Birmingham and rather than drive home, told my wife to have a little kip & dream of her new car; drove up to the Scotland border where I thought there was a "mint" one.

11,000 miles with the clock and the look/feel of a car that's never left the showroom.. all at a price £5K under others of a similar reg... the joys of making a low offer 5 days before christmas out in the middle of no-where..!!

Although on the drive back to Berkshire I was wondering if I was wise to hand over my debit card for so much of an instant cash drain... within days I knew that it was one of the best decisions I'd ever made.

Am looking at a Maser or Gallardo for myself.. MCGUS.. your comments make me start to drool at the thought of actually committing to one... ( may take another year to build up the bank balance )

But within it's own right, in my opinion, you can't do better than the SC 430.

soo smooth, such a pleasure.. 7 months later, the feel good factor is there time and time again... we look at each other on our way into the big city and both say "such a nice car :) " have left clubs in the wee hours wondering if it's been nicked.. so far, so good.

...started looking at alloys again.. as these are ones that were sitting in my garage and happened to fit... think I'm going to kick down and pimp my ride a little, Thinking 5-spoke Chrome 19inch...

Wow you drove from Birmingham to Scotland to look at a car! I just had to nip to Leicester - a round trip of about 30 miles! Regardless of distance its a great feeling when you find the right one!

As you say the car is a dream, bullet proof reliability and that roof, just love the feeling as it glides over head. I had read reports of a poor ride with the SC but I've never understood what is meant by this. The car rides perfect to me. :driving:

Yep.. you have to keep looking until you find the right one!

Am looking at a Maser or Gallardo for myself.. MCGUS.. your comments make me start to drool at the thought of actually committing to one... ( may take another year to build up the bank balance )

But within it's own right, in my opinion, you can't do better than the SC 430.

soo smooth, such a pleasure..

interesting to see this thread still going! I just popped by to say a sad cheerio......for all that I didn't use the forum regularly it was nice to pop by and hopefully my eulogising post has prompted a few further waverers to buy into the SC.

It still seems to get rubbish reviews but for what it is at the price point I reckon it does the job extremely well........all that said, sadly (or happily!) I couldn't put the Maser out of my head so on Saturday I pick my Spyder up.... :yahoo:

I'll be sorry to leave the Lexus mark for the timebeing but after three cars and about 8 years of ownership I reckon I may be back!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links