Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Should We Keep The Revs Low To Save Petrol

EZZ

I know there have been plenty of topics on petrol prices and mpg’s a Lexus does but me and a few friends were discussing this and a few questions arose:

Q1.Would driving in a higher gear say 4th or 5th but doing less then the recommended speeds (20-40mph) help stop the Lexus tank run dry? I guess the answer to this would be yes, but

Q2. Will this damage the engine in anyway in the long/short term? Some of us said yes and some said no. Anybody confirm this or advise on this.

Thanks in Advance :)

Ezz

I know there have been plenty of topics on petrol prices and mpg’s a Lexus does but me and a few friends were discussing this and a few questions arose:

Q1.Would driving in a higher gear say 4th or 5th but doing less then the recommended speeds (20-40mph) help stop the Lexus tank run dry? I guess the answer to this would be yes, but

Q2. Will this damage the engine in anyway in the long/short term? Some of us said yes and some said no. Anybody confirm this or advise on this.

Thanks in Advance :)

Ezz

The answer to the first Question I would say is definitely Yes. I had a Veedub with a trip computer and you could see the difference between feathering and flooring the accelerator on the mpg's.

Hmmm. Question 2 I would presume would be a yes to damaging the engine. If you compare it to cycling, you would cause more strain on your legs and body if you were to try pedaling slow in a higher gear, and possible the chain would come off ! :crybaby:

if you want to save fuel, you need to drive completley different...

the best analogy is to pretend there is a raw egg between your foot and accelerator.. so you are very gentle on the throttle.

Change up before 3k revs.

Think ahead - try and avoid using the brake pedal, let the car gradually slow (do not coast, leave it in a gear as it slows)

Also you can ease up on the throttle a tiny bit with no difference to speed. If you sit and cruise in a lane and keep plenty of space in front of you then you don't have to keep reacting to the speed of the car in front. Keeping to the speed limit obviously helps too. If I do this long distance and try and keep the MPG needle around 40 if I can then overall I seem to end up with 30ish mpg.

Also you can ease up on the throttle a tiny bit with no difference to speed. If you sit and cruise in a lane and keep plenty of space in front of you then you don't have to keep reacting to the speed of the car in front. Keeping to the speed limit obviously helps too. If I do this long distance and try and keep the MPG needle around 40 if I can then overall I seem to end up with 30ish mpg.

That bloody mpg needle made me soooo paranoid when I first bought the car that I wanted to put something over the top of it. I feathered the accelerator everywhere I went ! :shutit:

That bloody mpg needle made me soooo paranoid when I first bought the car that I wanted to put something over the top of it. I feathered the accelerator everywhere I went !

Sometimes I just sit there staring at it and sometimes I thrash the car to within an inch of its gaskets.... :driving: :arrrggg-matey: :nuke:

These are exactly the same kinda conclusions we came to when chating away.

The reason i brought a Lex was to be able to cruise around in style and comfort (and to be able to burn rubber when absolutly necessary).

Gonna try and treat the Lex like a sexy lady and drive it smoothly and carefully to see what MPGs it does next time i fill it up. :D

Well I went from a Subaru STi which was returning 18 - 20mpg depending on how I drove it, I was filling up every 3 days, so getting in my Lexus and flooring it every where is still mega economical in comparison! LOL

I do find though with the IS200, no matter how I drive it I seem to always get the same miles to a tank, unless I go on a very long motorway journey I always seem to get 350miles to a tank.

no matter whati do i always get 380-400 miles out of a tank of fuel

but i usually drive on the motoway to and fro work

and the Needle still gets me trying to get it to 40mpg (in the middle)

But i think the best way to save money on petrol is ................. MR BROWN & MR BLAIR LOWER THE BLOODY TAX,

dont we pay enough with with Road tax and Fuel tax, now the :offtopic:

we all wonder why our tyres wear out and tracking is always out, just look at the roads, now ask where does the road TAX Fund go, with the amount we pay over here we would be driving round on a new surface every 10 years

AHHH Glad i got that off me chest

but i feel like the government/Petrol companies will force me to sell the Lexus

but then there is the catch 22 who will buy it as they will look at the cost to fill with fuel :angry:

Cheers All

Matt

I wish they hadn't put that mpg needle on the car...i will crash one day watching it and urging it to creep over the 40 mark!!!

I try not to watch it now as it depresses me...i knew what the fuel economy was when i bought it so i am determined not to drive like the blue rinse brigade in a car with a beautifull sound above 3500k revs :driving:

but then there is the catch 22 who will buy it as they will look at the cost to fill with fuel  :angry:

Cheers All

Matt

is doing a auto gas conversion not an opition

but then there is the catch 22 who will buy it as they will look at the cost to fill with fuel   :angry:

Cheers All

Matt

is doing a auto gas conversion not an opition

looked in to that (company in Birmingham HKL Gaspower) have quoted around

£1700.00 but like the guy said there, you would need to be doing serious milage to recover that sort of money.

The company i work for has its Headoffice in Belgium and they pay half the price of our Autogas, & petrol is around .92Cents around 50p a litre

But as someone pointed out to me if i trade it in i will have to pay extra for another car

and i DONT want another car so as all the rest of the country i will have to put up with it B :tsktsk: ards

Here is one to Think of If the government change the way we pay fuel tax and then we have to pay road travel TAX, yes they say they would remove the Tax on Fuel but do you think the petrol companies will sell it for 20p a Litre :whistling:

I dont think so they are used to charging 80-90p so they will still do the same.

Sometimes I just sit there staring at it and sometimes I thrash the car to within an inch of its gaskets....  :driving:  :arrrggg-matey:  :nuke:

:D :D It's not only me then

The game is to see how long you can keep the MPH on 0 in 5th. Good Game Good Game

:lol:

its all very well driving around with the car in low revs but as Scarface pointed out to me on a drive it can actualy be dangerous to be undergeared.

imagine if you had to take evasive action to an unforseen incident requiring you to accelerate away, you wouldnt be able to because you would be bogged down in the revs etc....

something else to think about!!

PS never get a advanced driving lesson off scarface as it makes you think far too much about what could happen!!! (nah its realy worth it!!)

think about this, the diesel was originally invented by rudolf diesel in 1890's, to run on oil derived from peanuts, he intended to use a natural fuel to replace the demise of horses as transport and farming tools. we was found dead less than 20 yrs later under suspicious circumstances, (petrol was big business even then, and diesel threatened the future of petrol sales). any diesel engine can and will run on natural crop oil, rapeseed, sunflower etc., even high performance diesel engines would need little re-developement to cope. yet we see a token gesture of a few outlest selling biodiesel (which is a joke, it is a mix of about 90% fossil and 10% bio) at slightly lower prices than fossil oil derived diesel, most of us on here drive cars which pale into significance performance-wise compared to some of the latest common rail diesels. the 330d does upto 50mpg and reaches 60 in less than 8s with 228lbft at 1750rpm...Audi a8 has a 4.2 v8 tdi with 320bhp & 479ftlb between 1600-3500rpm. 0-60 is 5.9s and it does 30mpg....................whilst i'm on the subject of cheap energy search the web for 'searl effect generator' a truly 'free' power source, the pioneer, john searl, had his work destroyed allegedly by the US government................ if the worlds oil production suddenly became redundant?

5 Straight Vegetable Oil in the fuel-tank, is not so easy to get fire when an accident happens.

6 Straight Vegetable Oil in the fuel-tank is environment friendly.

7 Straight Vegetable Oil is good for lubrication in the diesel-engine.

8 Straight Vegetable Oil is good for farmers and ground for the sake of variety in the rotation.

9 Straight Vegetable Oil is is good for skin and good for the health.

10 Straight Vegetable Oil get no Greenhouse effect to the earth. The most problem on earth

11 Straight Vegetable Oil is very clean so you can eat it up if you be hungry.

im sorry but if you have to think about saveing on Petrol all the time, when you are out in your Lexus......................why did you get one ;)

some off you only do about 5000 miles a year, and some do less than that ;)

I do more miles than most off you.................i have had my IS 2 years now and i have put 50,000 miles on it in them 2 years

i love useing my IS so what is there to think about................. :driving: :D

no need to apologise,

i have an is200, the mpg is not particularly poor, nor is it particularly good, so owning a lex does not mean you have chosen a gas guzzler and therefore shouldn't complain about the spiralling cost of fuel. :winky:

im sorry but if you have to think about saveing on Petrol all the time, when you are out in your Lexus......................why did you get one ;) 

i love useing my IS so what is there to think about................. :driving:  :D

I agree totally with that Marcus. We all know that Lexus drink the petrol but i'm certainly not going to drive around conservatively :whistling:

I agree totally with that Marcus. We all know that Lexus drink the petrol but i'm certainly not going to drive around conservatively :whistling:

i can see your point it's just difficult to take it when we were paying 78p and 79p just 6 months ago.

i must admit its a great discussion :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links