Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How Long Does It Take To Diagnose A Fault?

My GS300 mk2 has been with a Lexus dealer for close on 2 weeks now and they cant tell me why it wont run.

It appears that it wont idle and or that it is only firing on 2 cyclinders!

The last I heard was that it maybe the Catalytic converters, but that was 4 days ago.

Lexus Customer Service phoned the dealer for me! Not really much service.

I would welcome any suggestions on how to get the dealer to do something?

My GS300 mk2 has been with a Lexus dealer for close on 2 weeks now and they cant tell me why it wont run.

The last I heard was that it maybe the Catalytic converters, but that was 4 days ago.

A failed cat won't make it fire on only two cylinders, if it was blocked restricting flow it would only run at low revs. It should take a decent tech about an hour to establish if it has

a spark at each cylinder

compression

and fuel pressure

suck squeeze bang blow , if it has spark compression and fuel and it's all hapening at the right time it should work. if any of these are missing that's when the problems start . Electrical faults can take time to find and repair.

A failed cat won't make it fire on only two cylinders, if it was blocked restricting flow it would only run at low revs. It should take a decent tech about an hour to establish if it has

a spark at each cylinder

compression

and fuel pressure

suck squeeze bang blow , if it has spark compression and fuel and it's all hapening at the right time it should work. if any of these are missing that's when the problems start . Electrical faults can take time to find and repair.

a spark at each cylinder

compression

and fuel pressure

Lexus UK inform me (note it has not been the dealer) that they think its a bent valve. They had already told me that the compression was fine!

I am getting very disheartened!

It's got six cylinders , one bent valve would make it idle a bit lumpy you probably wouldn't notice it at higher revs, and how did it get bent ? I would go to the dealers and talk to the service manager . Find out WTF they are doing. Essex Ford gave me all sorts of BS about my wife Galaxy until I mentioned Watchdog, suddenly they couldn't do enough for me

The latest is that the cylynders are scored and thats why it doesn't have any compression.

Let you know how it goes

The latest situation is that cylinder 3 or it could be 4 has a pourous lining and they may need to re-bore (surely that cant cure it) or it will need new linings! All in all it would be better to have a new small block (apparently these are only £8k).

The valves are not bent as previously thought.

I cant believe that 1 cylinder down would stop a 6 cylinder engine from firing!

Help!

Sounds like total BS to me, and if it's pourous boring it will probably make it worse not cure it. Are you an AA or RAC member ? if you are I would talk to them because if what you are relaying is correct this garage knows nothing.

Seems like they have 5 solutions already. Hope you only end up paying for the correct one.

Hopefully they will be able to show you the final problem that will fix it all before they do the work. Would be interesting to see what they have done to show the porous liner.

Even with a porous cylinder, it should still run. It will probably push a lot of steam out of the exhaust and the spark plug for that cylinder should be nice and clean

The cyclinder boring machine cant be used in place on my engine!! I wonder what sort of engine it would need?

The Lexus dealer has given the head to a third party company (the one that was going to do the rebore) so that they can pressure test on the bench as that is more acurate.

Be cheaper to stick another engine in. If its a 2JZ-GE engine I know where there is at least one if not 2 really low milers, one came out of my old car when the guy put a TT lump in. In fact for 8k you could bang a boxed 400bhp boxed engine in.

Also a bent valve will make the car cut out. I had one bent inlet valve on a V6 omega it would start up and run but would cut out and not go above 2000 RPM. Am endoprobe should be able to diagnose the fault though.

Be cheaper to stick another engine in. If its a 2JZ-GE engine I know where there is at least one if not 2 really low milers, one came out of my old car when the guy put a TT lump in. In fact for 8k you could bang a boxed 400bhp boxed engine in.

Also a bent valve will make the car cut out. I had one bent inlet valve on a V6 omega it would start up and run but would cut out and not go above 2000 RPM. Am endoprobe should be able to diagnose the fault though.

I last heard from the dealer on Thursday 8th September, when a message was left on my phone saying that only 2 valves create a vacuum (interesting) and that they were ordering a gasket set! He then went on to say that he wouldn't be able to speak to me as he had a meeting to go to, but would speak to me tomorrow (9th September).

I have been away for a week now and return to no news from the dealer! No e-mail (I was asked for my e-mail address as that would be easier and I even sent one to the dealership so that they didnt have any problems with the spelling).

This is begining to be beyond a joke! The search for perfection is obviously very tricky.

If anyone is still interested in this topic it is nearly 7 weeks now and I dont have a car, even after the assurance that my car would be ready today as they were 99.9% certain that it would work, I have to phone them.

Just to recap, the head went away to have the valve's reseated and skimmed. The head returned on the 19th. I was told on the 19th that it would be ready by the end of the week. I went to the dealership on the Friday and they hadn't even started it.

After the previous diagnostics I insisted they do a compression test before putting it all back together.

I once again phone the dealer (perhaps they are not allowed to dial out) only to be told cylinder 6 has no compression.

Is there a prize for a car thats been at the dealership for the longest?

Can anyone beat this?

After the previous diagnostics I insisted they do a compression test before putting it all back together.

?

Well they are going to be good if they can. You need the head on the block and the cam belt on to test compression.

You can pressure test a head off the engine but that will only show up cracks.

You must have the patience of a saint, there would be blood and body parts all over that stealership if it was my car.

:offtopic: I'm thinking of flying out to Florida to kill the mismanagement company that are supposed to be looking after our house

The saga continues....

On doing the compression test cyclnder 6 now has no compression, further tests reveal 2 bent valves on cyclinder. These never showed up before so was it the dealer when refitting or the engineering company when they did there bit?

In theory my car will be ready next Monday 3rd October.

I was thinking of running a sweepstake to see if anyone can guess the right day or month or maybe year?

I hope you have a diary of all this and when they present you the bill you take the diary and bill to Trading Standards - unless they are reasonable over it.

Have you put your concerns over their abilities and timescales in writing to the dealership and Lexus GB?

I hope you have a diary of all this and when they present you the bill you take the diary and bill to Trading Standards - unless they are reasonable over it.

Have you put your concerns over their abilities and timescales in writing to the dealership and Lexus GB?

Lexus GB and the dealership are aware!

The worst thing is that I still dont think I will get the car back on Monday!

It must be a nightmare, must be hard to keep your cool,  I would of lost it by now. :shutit: totally.

Tuesday 4th October, car wasn't ready yesterday but will be today I was told.

We wait and see.

It must be a nightmare, must be hard to keep your cool,  I would of lost it by now. :shutit: totally.

Tuesday 4th October, car wasn't ready yesterday but will be today I was told.

We wait and see.

Well I just checked Sky news and BBC News 24 no reports of blood shed in Bournmouth Sooooooooooooooooooo is it done ?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links