Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Not Funny Any More....

terdancam

The wife and I love our is200---its a reliable, classy workhorse that we can spot easily in a carpark given that its not a vw/bmw/merc/audi.

Over our 1.5years of ownership we have gotten used to its desire for the black stuff, and because we have no self-discipline that engine really gets a workout--virtually all the time.... :crybaby:

However, now that petrol is touching the £1 mark, filling up at the pump isn`t a humourous experience anymore, and has forced us to reconsider our driving requirements.

The Mrs quite rightly argues that you can`t put a price on the fact that when you put the key in the ignition and drive off the car just WORKS. We`re not listening for bits breaking, weird noises, or keeping the RAC on speed dial; there`s a lot to said for that, given the fact that every car i`ve had has died spectacularly.... :angry:

But being leaden footed (because the Lexus loves it :shutit: ) it is causing a big dent in the wallet now!

So what do you all reckon, resist the temptation, ease off on the pedals and keep the car..................................OR...................................have a look at gettting a more practical car that is far cheaper to run? Who else is considering this now?

And yes, i caught myself looking at a ~Suzuki SWift :ohmy::crying: :shutit: :sick::ph34r:

Now that fuel costs are huge, with the uk going to be a net importer of fuel by 2007, no fuel strikes, and no doubt an increase in the budget (notwithstanding the fact that fuel companies are swallowing some of the rises at the moment anyway),

is it time to get sensible, or are you all earning enough so that fuel costs don`t really matter? (theres a word for people like that :D )

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope - i'm the same - everytime i near the pump i start thinking about Prius's and small diesel hatchbacks...

and just like you - with that six-pot i just cant help enjoy the engine..

I wouldnt want to sell the lex for a derv, but if prices dont come down, i might have to! :crybaby:

Selling your car then buying another (less reliable ) car could work out more costly than running the Lex. With depreciation values etc.

Also what you would lose, like performance style and comfort.

Personally I would persevere and take my foot off the gas occasionally.

You will be sat in a traffic jam in your "ordinary" car looking at the Lex along side you thinking.

" We should never have parted with her"

I see your point. But someone like me only covers around 5k a year so the fuel bill isn't wallet smashing. If you do 20k a year, I can understand.

I'm exactly the same - I only live 2 1/2 miles from my workplace so I can keep the miles down, but I do still notice a HUGE difference in the fuel prices.

I did have a VW diesel before this, so I was on a course of anti-depressants when I first bought this car :D (it was after all costing me £8 per week in the Bora, compared to approx. £14 in the IS)

I just wanna know when the prices will stop soaring ! :angry:

I am fortunate enough to claim back pretty much all the mileage I do at 40p per mile. Even if I didn't, I still wouldn't get rid of the car.

There is nothing else for the money that I like that isn't as juicy or more so. Haven't driven my car for the past 5 weeks as it is having a bit of work done. In this time I have been driving Tanya's 1.7 Civic Coupe. Whilst it is a nice car - she has had it chipped, lowered, kitted, etc it doesn't eat the miles as easy as the Lexus. Tis not as quick, nor comforatble or refined.

The only car I am considering next is an M5 provided my car allowances increases.

yep i noticed the price rise at the local BP when i filled up i failed to notice that it was £1.05 a litre till i had filled up from nearly empty at this rate i will be going back to 95ron for a while to keep the price of running the GS as low as i can i keep looking at these fuel catalysers too that claim to boost the ron of normal petrol when plumbed into the line anyone seen these or can say if they work :huh:

hurts putting optimax in  :sick:

Yup same here in the Tezza but at least it only has a 50 litre tank so filling up is cheaper than filling the IS. Psychologically it don't hurt as much.

Just changed the O2 sensors, it is early days but I seem to be getting about a 15% improvement in mileage so that helps a bit.

I try to use the supermarkets as much as possible but getting 97 RON is difficult, Tesco's do money off vouchers for fuel if you shop there and their fuel price is generally competitive. I got a voucher for 5p a litre off but my local one does not do super unleaded.

As for selling the car, the car market is dead right now, have a mint Pug 307 SW on the market at below book price for over 2 months and had 1 call despite spending nearly £500 advertising it, and that length of time the book value has fallen about a grand :crybaby: Just look at the deals the mass manufacturers are offering on new cars. So by the time you flog the car petrol prices will probably have come back down.

Looks like we just need to "bite the bullet" and get on with it.

Since the cost of petrol has been going up recently, I've decided to catch the train into work, I'm only driving the IS on the evenings/weekends now, rest of the time the IS is parked up in the garage at home. Before I used to spend £30-£40 a week on petrol, but I now spend this amount per month now.

I'm also in the process of buying a house (need to save up for solicitor's bills, stamp duty fees, :offtopic: but what a rip off stamp duty is!, furniture etc), so I've decided to cut back on my fuel bill by using the train to/from work.

I've also found that running for the train is keeping me fit!

Lastly, I don't want to get rid of the IS, but if the current petrol price trends continue, I may have to consider giving up the IS :sad:

I'm paying £58 per month for a train ticket, like someone has said it fair bit of wad to pay upfront, but I can use any train and bus in the specified zone. Without a monthly train ticket, I'd be paying £20 return as well, per day.

How much does the train cost you. Anytime I want to go anywhere I am looking at a minimum of 20 quid return.

get yourself a scooter or a push bike for those short, but heavy fuel consuming trips, being unemployed for so long I had to leave my car parked up in the street and use the bus or walk most of the time. not fun, but deffo cost saving...

Off to a funeral of a bike rider on Thursday - killed on his bike -I wish he'd driven is LS.

Got to admit, Its getting frustrating watching the needle dropping.

I've tried driving at a steady acceleration and can't do it.

I'm like Sipey get 40p back per mile, but its my company, so I am paying anyway.

Would never down grade - so have to shut up and put up in my case.

Not looking forward to getting mine and having to fill up. The tank was only half full when the car died, was thinking off keeping her off the road now and only using her a few time a month, anything to keep the feul bill down. The prices in MK are 101.9 for BP Super and 96.9 for Unleaded. It's going to cost £68 for Unleaded and £72 for Super :sick::sick::sick: Think I'll stick to the Fiesta for a while longer.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links