Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Knock Knock

GALLA_4

Over the last few days when I have been driving around I haved noticed a "knock" noise from the front right wheel. It happens when I turn left and the wheel is at a certain point.

I dont think its the caliper spring. I have done a search and have read about the ball joint issue. This knock noise only seems to happen when I am turning left but I am not braking when turning. Its only a single "knock" and then thats it!

Possible causes??

Hmm, I really don´t now. But I have the same problem, came after the lowering of the car.. It knocks when i turn/brake and sometimes it sqeeks, hope someone knows what it is..

don't know what GALLA's noise is, although it could well be balljoint or susp bushes

ebay balljoints

yours sounds like worn pads, as they can click/clonk when pads are low as the pad moves slightly in the caliper.

I had a mechanic friend of mine check out the car and he couldn't really see too much wrong. Although when he drove it he heard the "knock" when turning left aswell. He said it may well be a ball joint about to go! but he doesn't think its the shock as you would have a "knock" noise everytime you went over a bump or pothole on the roads.

He didnt have a ramp but the car is booked into be looked at by the garage on wednesday so hopefully they will sort it.

I had a mechanic friend of mine check out the car and he couldn't really see too much wrong. Although when he drove it he heard the "knock" when turning left aswell. He said it may well be a ball joint about to go! but he doesn't think its the shock as you would have a "knock" noise everytime you went over a bump or pothole on the roads.

He didnt have a ramp but the car is booked into be looked at by the garage on wednesday so hopefully they will sort it.

Keep us up-dated on the outcome :winky:

Guys took the car back to the garage today and they checked it out.

They said the ball joints were fine

The shocks was ok

They oiled the bushes?

and tightened the anti roll bars.

I was happy enough and drove to a nearby supermarket car park and did a tight turn to the left on full lock to satisfy myself that the noise was gone and again I hear the lovely "KNOCK" sound from the front right! I'm mad now because i really dont think they did very much to the car at all!!!

I need to get them to start replacing things guys! I think its a ball joint myself! Can you tell me what parts are usually replaced on situtaions like this? I want to go back armed with ideas too help the clowns out abit!

Went back to garage and they said that they dont seem to know what it is that causing the knock. I took a mechanic for a spin around the back of the garage forecourt and I was able to make it knock twice while doing two left turns. Kinda seems like it happens if your turning left and go over a very slghty incline of ground.

Could a ball joint be defective but not be visible to the eye ie wear?

They taking the car on Tuesday and might start ordering in parts reluctantly! Besides ball joints what else should they order in which could be causing this noise?

After going back to the dealer this morning they are now replacing the top bushings and top ball joint for me. This was only after creating a bit of a scene on the forecourt. lol

There was the threat made of landing a Nissan Pathfinder in through the main dealership window half joking half serious lol

If after all this the knock is still there then the bottom ball joint will be replaced. Hopefully though the new bushings and top ball joint will do the trick! Watch this space

Picked the car up from the garage AGAIN today. They replaced the top bushings and top ball joint on the front drivers side. Driving home and my fisrt turn left I hear "Knock" I felt like smashing the bloody steering wheel. This is really annoying me now! No better off than I was two weeks ago! Its going back!!!!!!!! The problem is its a BMW dealership as I bought the car there second hand. Should I cut my loses and tell them I want it to go to Lexus?

Sorry to hear that Owen. I hate it when you get these annoying problems that don't have a simple known soluton. :crying:

I noticed that mine seems to do it too, more so in reverse and when driving over poor uneven roads.

Thanks for the updates. :D

At last the car is finally goint to a lexus dealership garage this wednesday for a none expense spared checkup! This is what should have been done from day one. So I have a good feeling the end of the knock is nigh!!!

• 3 weeks later...

*********UPDATE***********

Finally got the knocking sound resolved today. It was the bottom right ball joint which I had suspected from day one! The whole front end of the car feels much firmer now.

Lesson learned from all this???

Yes if you take your car to a dealership with a knocking sound coming from a footwell area and they check out the bottom ball joints for you and tell you they "look fine" chances are there is something not right and tell me to replace it. especially if your car is 50000miles +

They replaced bushings, top ball joint and said "No No the bottom one is grand" ehhhh Noooo its not! as today just proves. They admitted well maybe it was on "its way out"

Long story short just because theres not much play on a ball joint or "it looks" fine doesn't always mean it is!

Finally got the knocking sound resolved today. It was the bottom right ball joint which I had suspected from day one! The whole front end of the car feels much firmer now.

Yes if you take your car to a dealership with a knocking sound coming from a footwell area and they check out the bottom ball joints for you and tell you they "look fine" chances are there is something not right and tell me to replace it. especially if your car is 50000miles +

They replaced bushings, top ball joint and said "No No the bottom one is grand" ehhhh Noooo its not! as today just proves. They admitted well maybe it was on "its way out"

Long story short just because theres not much play on a ball joint or "it looks" fine doesn't always mean it is!

Glad its all now sorted out,Shame the Lexus Experts couldnt find and fix the right part in the first place.There working on a common range of cars all day everyday so you would have thought they should know what commonly wears out :yawn:

Glad its all now sorted out,Shame the Lexus Experts couldnt find and fix the right part in the first place.There working on a common range of cars all day everyday so you would have thought they should know what commonly wears out :yawn:

Think you will find that his problem was with the BMW dealership from which he bought the car from and not from Lexus.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add that I've also had the occasional clonk coming from the front passenger side of my car. I managed to get both front ball joints off eBay for £70 and had the pair changed over yesterday. There was play in both ball joints, but only one was knocking. New ones fitted and the car feels much better at the front.

Just need to get the rear coilovers sorted now! ;)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links