Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dvd Writer For The Pc

Colin P

As the topic says I was gonna get a DVD writer for my PC but don't really know what to look out for in the specs other than a multi layer one? what minmum buffer sizes, brands, speeds etc etc

oh btw, internal or external I dont really mind.

off to watch "The Crow, The - Wicked Prayer" then "Donnie Brasco" with a few stellas so will check for updates later!

Colin

As the topic says I was gonna get a DVD writer for my PC but don't really know what to look out for in the specs other than a multi layer one? what minmum buffer sizes, brands, speeds etc etc

oh btw, internal or external I dont really mind.

off to watch "The Crow, The - Wicked Prayer"  then "Donnie Brasco" with a few stellas so will check for updates later!

Colin

As others have said there are a lot of good ones out there. If you are going to do a lot of intensive writing then speed will be a consideration. An external one is far handier although they are usually a bit more expensive.

aha didnt realise there were Lightscribe specific media, still, it's not a huge amount to pay for CD's and DVD's so i'll probably give it a go.

now..... where's my swicth card

I won't be writing a lot Kent

Ive always had good results with pioneer dvdrw drives

a friend of mine is a naughty lad and is always writing dvds and he's been using a pioneer for years and its never let him down. more important is the type of discs you use, Ive always used -R discs that use the Ritek dye, as they seem to be very reliable and compatible with anything i want to use them on. lightscribe i think is a cool idea, but you can only print in monochrome, I use an epson printer that can print in full colour onto printable dvdrs in photo quality, they look very impressive.

Yeah the Pioneers are alright, I had an A03 when they first came out and it lasted a few years before packing up, didn't actually write that many DVD's though, I cane this Lite-On as I don't have a telly so I just burn anything I want to watch and take it downstairs :D

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago and found that the BenQ Writers although cheap, are the fastest and produce the least amount of "errors"/"jitter" on written media. The Plextor PX716 series of drives come in second, but they offered certain other features like:

GigaRec - burn upto 900mb on a standard 700mb CD

SecuRec - protect your burnt CD's/DVD's with a password

VariRec - Change the "strength" of the laser being used to burn the media

I'd definitely check out the BenQ DW1640 and the Plextor PX-716 though :). If you want more information on them read up on club.cdfreaks.com.

Ive always had good results with pioneer dvdrw drives

a friend of mine is a naughty lad and is always writing dvds and he's been using a pioneer for years and its never let him down. more important is the type of discs you use, Ive always used -R discs that use the Ritek dye, as they seem to be very reliable and compatible with anything i want to use them on. lightscribe i think is a cool idea, but you can only print in monochrome, I use an epson printer that can print in full colour onto printable dvdrs in photo quality, they look very impressive.

We have a DVD authoring studio, and write very many DVD-R's. We found that although Samsung, Lite-On, Sony, Aopen, Plextor etc. work fine, but only the Pioneer A05/A07/A09 give consistent compatibility with all our client's DVD-Video players. And we prefer the Maxell 8-Speed DVD-(minus)-R discs for them.

The A09 will do dual layer too, but not many DVD-Video players react well at the layer break, only recent Sony players don't seem to problems with these DVD-R9's.

Hope that helps,

RX-Men-8

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links