Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Heat Shield & Cold Air Box

Mr Morse

Before so say.........yes it's home made! :lol:

But this is a serious attempt to resolve the high intake air temperature on the IS300 fitted with K&N Typhoon induction.

Two problems:

The decatted manifold runs very hot, despite being heat wrapped and the filter is very close to the radiator fan.....result.....

at 30mph the intake air temp was double the ambient air temperature and it wasn't until >60mph that the IAT came down to ambient.

What I've done here is to take some insulating foil and to screen off as much of the intake as possible. I've done a few runs already and the foil handles the manifold heat and the radiator fine. The foil is glued in place with silicone sealant.

To use a more quantatative approach, I'm planning on installing a thermocouple somewhere inside the intake and will record the delta T under various driving conditions and speeds.

If it all looks good, we'll go into production with a more asthetic version! :D

gallery_8450_122_19063.jpg

gallery_8450_122_20002.jpg

gallery_8450_122_7411.jpg

I am thinking of lining my engine bay with some off them NASA heat tiles. Like the ones that came of Discovery and Columbia.

I am afraid of having an anomaly during my re entry into the driveway at night time. :P

Seriously though! its a good idea Mike.

thats a realy good idea, maybe use fibreglass as the backing/framework to adhere the insulation to?

will keep costs down and also aid the swift manufacture!

good going!

Looking good Mike, looking forward to hearing how she goes, should make a big difference looking at those temps?

Is it worth wrapping the K&N instake pipe as well mate to stop that getting too warm?

Just been out for a good blast to check it all out - It's all solid, nothing has moved!

The forward part of the Typhoon intake is STONE COLD whereas the engine side of the foil was very hot!

Bingo!

But let's wait for the scientific results first :whistling:

Just been out for a good blast to check it all out - It's all solid, nothing has moved!

The forward part of the Typhoon intake is STONE COLD whereas the engine side of the foil was very hot!

Bingo!

But let's wait for the scientific results first  :whistling:

Looks like scrapheap challenge he he he he, good idea mike hope u can put it in to production, are u thinking bout doin the is200 or is this not a problem on that car?????

All you need now is the Turkey to wrap up in all that tin foil ! :lol:

Would like to see some figures ......... see if there is a difference though, as I need to get a heat sheild too !

I like the look of the TDi one ........ carbon fibre ..... hmmmmmm

Mr Morse: See if you can get the whole filter element "enclosed", with the front nozzle being utilized as the cold air intake source. Just finished a home made "prototype" induction box (fibreglass) and it's made quite a difference on the Aristo, so no doubt it will do the same if not more on the IS300.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links