Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250 Review In Today's Irish Times

I don't agree with the comments about Lexus not putting passion into their vehciles. I think their attention to detail is second to none. Im also getting a little tired of heraing about how shoddy the previous IS was!! :angry:

How can they say that the "old" IS200 was a shameless copy of the 3 series BMW ? They are nothing like each other. :angry:

And as for the "spot the Toyota bits" - I had a look at an Aston Martin DB7 Vantage the weekend (not to buy as I am REAL poor when it comes to Aston Martins), and I was playing spot the Ford buttons. I seriously believed after seeing the Aston Martin that my IS200 had a better interior. Even the dials were all black (boring), and the steering wheel was totally black with just the Aston Martin wings embossed in the centre. I was completely disappointed, as it did use to be my favourite.

It sounds to me like the person who done the review in that Irish paper hasn't really experienced the "old" IS200.

They fail to review cars from the passenger's perspective all the time.

Ask a passenger whether they'd rather be pampered in a Lexus or in the back seat of a Beemer?

BMWs are lovely, but they are designed pretty much around the driver, whereas a Lexus will typically mollycoddle the driver and the passengers.

The reviewer moans that the centre console has been lifted straight out of a GS. Well, that's impressive because a GS is a much more expensive model!!

Oh, I'm being totally objective here ;-)

Oh, regarding Lexus quality. Look at an old LS400 and see how well built they are. There was a recent article in some UK car magazine, where the author said if had £2500 to spend on a luxury car, it would be a LS400, and he would be too frightened to touch an old S class or 7 series at that price range. They relegated that article to the middle of the magazine!!!!!!!

I have test driven everything in this category before deciding to go for the Lexus, and I was not a Lexus fan until my test drive!

Guys, believe me - I drove the 3 series SE and an IS250 SE back to back, and I have to say the BMW was totally uninspiring to look at, be in and drive. When driven hard, it did give you a sense of "connectivity to the road" that the IS just misses, but like I say, it's only when you drive it really hard...It's so minor, that you will rarely notice it.

It was as plain and boring as you can get. Typically dull german engineering and aesthetics - if you don't believe me go and drive one. The 320d engine was smooth however...and even when you revved it's pants off, it was OK.

The ride was harsh (on standard run flat 16"), jittery, and my 2002 Audi A4 (on 16") which rides much better is more inspring to drive (which again always comes second to the BMW in journo tests, who say it's dull).

The Lexus (and I have never owned a Lexus before) IS250 was inspiring, exciting, fantastic to drive. It handles well, and yes there is definately some road noise, but it actually sounds quite good...and if you drive the base IS, the road noise issue is not there. I have also driven a base auto, and it was fab (currently what I have ordered - base IS220d with MM). That IS auto is the best available...

In the past Toyota has been accused of "over styling", but this IS is just plain gorgeous, and anyone who see's one in the flesh will be impressed.

I dunno what sooped up versions of the beemers the journo's drive, but they ain't the ones we poor bods drive, that is for sure. I reckon they must be paid...

I am looking forward to my IS220d test drive this week. Chris Holmes has promised me a drive this week (Leic Lexus), so I am expecting a call...I know their car has arrived 'cos I saw it there (In beautiful Caspian) at the weekend, when I took my cousin for a snoop...he wants one too now!

The next issue is about the Diesel engine - everyone who has driven one so far (except journo's) say it is fantastic...

I have driven over 100k miles in 4 years in different diesels and have tested everything upto £30k budgeted cars, including Honda Accord, MB C/E Class (the worst 4 Cyl Diesel I have ever com across), Jag, BeeEm etc etc etc, and whilst I am no anorak on diesel engines, I think I now know what is good and what is not....so this week I feel like a kid who's about to get his first ever Scalextric race!!

They fail to review cars from the passenger's perspective all the time.

Ask a passenger whether they'd rather be pampered in a Lexus or in the back seat of a Beemer?

BMWs are lovely, but they are designed pretty much around the driver, whereas a Lexus will typically mollycoddle the driver and the passengers.

The reviewer moans that the centre console has been lifted straight out of a GS. Well, that's impressive because a GS is a much more expensive model!!

Oh, I'm being totally objective here ;-)

Totally true - I had a look at Beemers the weekend (and Mercs) to try and decide what car I would go for next. And the answer was neither :lol: I just didn't feel as thought they had spent the same amount of time in detailing the interior as they maybe did on the exterior. The seats in the Merc looked like something out of Toy Town. I've ended up considering an Audi TT next. But that won't be until the end of this year.

Until then I will still be loving my Lex. :D

It's more of a social class/snobbery thing here I think. Part of the reason Lexus has made it in the US market, is that they are not that bothered about social class, and more interested in the car doing the job very well at the right price.

Plus, the level of service of Lexus dealers in the USA has made it into the teaching schedule of Harvard Business School.

What a shame the UK dealers are nowhere near the US folks for level of service.

I have today placed an order for an IS250 with all the trimmings including Mark Levinson MM, 17" wheels, PCS and ACC. Basically everything except 18" wheels and sport suspension. Being over 50, the harder ride and the cost of replacement tires are not appealing compared to the ride comfort of softer suspension and tires.

I took a cursory glance at the 325i and did not consider an Audi. I am thrilled with my decision. Delivery is end of Feb and I can't wait to join the ever growing band of Lexus owners.

I have today placed an order for an IS250 with all the trimmings including Mark Levinson MM, 17" wheels, PCS and ACC. Basically everything except 18" wheels and sport suspension. Being over 50, the harder ride and the cost of replacement tires are not appealing compared to the ride comfort of softer suspension and tires.

I took a cursory glance at the 325i and did not consider an Audi. I am thrilled with my decision. Delivery is end of Feb and I can't wait to join the ever growing band of Lexus owners.

I sat in one of those the weekend at the Lexus showroom. Must admit it, I didn't like the new IS's when they were first revealed, BUT they certainly have grown on me.

Nice buy you lucky &%*£(" :D Enjoy yer ride

Is Lexus IS250 really that bad comparing to BMW325 ? Since I have not driven these two cars don't know much about it.

The interior was too Toyota, the dynamics weren't up to par and the range was limited to just one engine and transmission for most of its lifecycle. The new car is less of a BMW knock-off:

though I will say that in terms of stance and proportion, the BMW has the measure of the Lexus. The Lexus lacks originality, too. The bonnet shape; the way the grille's positioned and even the kink in the rear quarter-light all indicate that the 3-Series influenced its design. Buyers want an alternative to the 3-Series; not a clone of one.

The BMW's interior is the epitome of Teutonic simplicity, un-encumbered by BMW's i-Drive and devoid of any superfluous garnish. The Lexus isn't quite as sober

The IS isn't nearly as playful and is much less eager to change direction, with a slower steering and you can't even turn the stability control off.

More significantly, the Lexus' drivetrain is a mess, with a flywheel so big it won't let the revs drop between gear-changes, while the shift action wouldn't feel out of place in an '83 Transit

Overall, I'm disappointed in the new IS. I'm tired of the BMW 3-Series being the class leader, but it seems that no other carmaker is capable of building a better car.

HI TO TONYDOWNUNDER

Im from brisbane and now have my IS250 with sat,nav and ML audio mind blasting sound deep blue mica sports the suspension is very firm but thats the way i like it for a few more years 49yrs old lots of lookers love the design of the car looks awsome from the back with 18'' and wide tyres a big step forward from my IS300 in queitness and interior

(don't like the interior of the BMWS makes me feel sick.)

Absolutely agree with the comments made about lexus customer service over here, its appalling.

BMW were quick to help me, aranging a test drive of the 330ci & 325ci sport coupe's before i bought the lexus. Good job my mind didnt need making up or BMW would have had another customer.

Now lets see if i can get a drive of the IS250...hmmm

HI TO TONYDOWNUNDER

Im from brisbane and now have my IS250 with sat,nav and ML audio mind blasting sound deep blue mica sports the suspension is very firm but thats the way i like it for a few more years 49yrs old lots of lookers love the design of the car looks awsome from the back with 18'' and wide tyres a big step forward from my IS300 in queitness and interior

(don't like the interior of the BMWS makes me feel sick.)

Hi Gary

I made an excuse to go into the dealer today just to look at the IS250s on the floor. Mine is confirmed for 26-Feb. Yes, Lexus of Brighton is open on a Sunday, how keen is that!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links