Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Sony Or Pioneer Hdd/dvd Recorders

Mr-Lex

Sony or Pioneer...???  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Sony or Pioneer...???

• Sony RDR-HXD910
    • Pioneer DVR-930H-S
    • Another make, if so which one?

Peeps'

Need little help in deciding which one to choose?

Both are similiar but Pioneer has 400GB minus free Digital Terrestrial Tuner, which Sony got. Sony 250GB.

There is a h3ll of a price difference between both of them. The cheapest I have seen so far is; Sony (Multiregion) just under £600 and Pioneer (Multiregion) just over £800.

I know few members got HDD/DVD recorders but what would you recommend from above or even possibly another make :question: :duh: :unsure:

I need minimum 250GB hard drive with HDMI interface, multiregion and has the capabilities to record more than 1 programme at a time!

Pioneerdvr930hs_detailpage.jpg

SonyRDR-HXD910_HEADON_im.gif

I have a pioneer and have no troubles with it at all. mines a few models down mind you. 430 something or another, cant remember at the moment. The pioneer has a good range of options to mess about with for recording quality and the dvd playback is spot on. Your best bet is to stroll into your local hi-fi store and mess about with them, i'm sure there wont be much difference between the two when put side to side.

I have a pioneer and have no troubles with it at all. mines a few models down mind you. 430 something or another,

I did look into that, but if I remember correctly it doesn't have HDMI interface :question::unsure: And h3ll of a cheaper than 930!?!?

i was gonna have one of these for xmas.. but opted for the Freeview with hardrive.. half the price but the best bit was it had twin tuners... so i can watch something else while its recording.. something i dont think the dvd writers had.

I got the sony hxd 910 and its awesome, the upscaled pics via HDMI are very nice indeed on my 50" hdtv

but it only has one tuner

so you can only record one channel at a time

Oh also it has most of the features of Sky+ it can be set to record the same program each week or day or whatever automatically and has a very nice epg. can pause live tv and other such tricks and the DVD output looks very good scaled all the way upto 1920 x 1080 res.

but if u really need twin tuner then I think the yet to be released rdr hxd 1010 is the one for you.

Thanks guys for all your info :winky:

Decided not to get none the above :blush::crybaby:

Why you may ask :o :question: after speaking to some of the dealers and points made on this thread, I am now waiting on the HDDVD, that is if it does come out this year :duh: Really surprised none of the manufacturer do that yet...especially HD broadcast round the corner :iraqi-info-minister: I already have HDTV and soon sky will be launching HD broadcast, and what will be the point if I cannot record/play HD on dvd player/recorder :blink:

So just matter of waiting and hoping it won't be that expensive when it does come out :arrrggg-matey: :question:

Anyway if I was to buy the DVD recorders as I mentioned above, then I think I would have gone for Sony...seems a better option, value, features etc. :whistling:

it looks like it could take a bit longer sonys system is ready for release but has run into problems they are trying to launch first there blu-ray system is having problems with the disk they have managed to get 50gig onto a dl dvd (i think thats amazzing) toshiba's system is ready to go but has not got the big movie companys behind them (they only get 30gig on a disk) it's Betamax and vhs all over again

Ade

• 1 month later...

Getting something delivered and installed tomorrow, which at the moment seems much better than the above two and Sky+.... :shifty: :shutit:

It can record 6 different channels at the same time on 250GB HDD (has capacity 300GB)....with 400+ channels (including adult channels :winky: ) for one off payment. Plus my normal sky channels (which I continue paying my monthly subscription) all in ONE box :shifty::rolleyes:

Features, more or less unlimited....plug your CCTV on it as well....has DAB and has the facility to be accessed from the net (if away)....transfer files to PC/Laptop using USB2....

Seems an awesome unit...(well at the moment anyway ;) )

Can't wait :wub::yahoo:

Getting something delivered and installed tomorrow, which at the moment seems much better than the above two and Sky+.... :shifty: :shutit:

It can record 6 different channels at the same time on 250GB HDD (has capacity 300GB)....with 400+ channels (including adult channels :winky: ) for one off payment. Plus my normal sky channels (which I continue paying my monthly subscription) all in ONE box :shifty::rolleyes:

Features, more or less unlimited....plug your CCTV on it as well....has DAB and has the facility to be accessed from the net (if away)....transfer files to PC/Laptop using USB2....

Seems an awesome unit...(well at the moment anyway ;) )

Can't wait :wub::yahoo:

Please tell us what this magical device is....... :blink:

Was going to recommend my Panasonic Hard disc recorder, but now you're telling me I'm out of date! Certainly been fine .Bought it from a mail order firm in Northamptonshire (can dig out details) who were cheapest by far.

Player is DMR E85H

On widersubject. I've been a hi-fi fan for 30 years, with equipment costing about £10,000plus. But the Panasonic SA-XR 70 Receiver is amazing quality at about £400. Fully digital amplification (no d/a, then a/d changes)with great sound quality. I use a DNM Pre/pwr amp that lists at £5K and the Panny is near as good! AND can run surround if needed! Now we can look for the best possible speakers. (Avantgarde Uno.)

I'm in this dilemma - TV's about to go (I keep telling the missus), and those C45 casettes wit the kids "first steps" need to be digitalised...

Think it's been covered, but with HD now almost here in all hardware, it's worth waiting...that way it'll work "in the future" too.

In the meantime if you're desperate, either hire one (!) or buy the cheapo ASDA ones...

As far as products are concerned, if the HD Plasma's are anything to go by, the Pioneer P****s on the Sony IMHO!

I'm in this dilemma - TV's about to go (I keep telling the missus), and those C45 casettes wit the kids "first steps" need to be digitalised...

Think it's been covered, but with HD now almost here in all hardware, it's worth waiting...that way it'll work "in the future" too.

In the meantime if you're desperate, either hire one (!) or buy the cheapo ASDA ones...

As far as products are concerned, if the HD Plasma's are anything to go by, the Pioneer P****s on the Sony IMHO!

It's worth doing the research. For instance, many of the Plasma screens are made by LG, even if they have a different badge on the front!

Inthe meantime if you're desperate, either hire one (!) or buy the cheapo ASDA ones...

Don't touch the Alba ones. Friend got one, DOA, had to take it back. Got a LiteON 5006 now, seems quite nice, especially when I reflashed it with the multi-region, Macrovision-free firmware!

• 1 month later...
Please tell us what this magical device is....... :blink:

Sorry for replying late...bloody net's been down and been decorating the house!!! what a nightmare!!!

Anyway this is it:

kvr-1000dab.jpg

basically the product name for this is Kaon and the model I have is KVR 1000 DAB Digital Multimedia Recorder!

It's a very complex system and has taken a me while to use to it...but one impressive system!

Some of the features:

2 Tuners PVR (DVB-S)

- Simultaneous 6 Record and 1 playback

- Simultaneous Time-shifting & Dual Recording

- Dual Decoding from Live stream or Recorded stream

(PIP: Picture-in-Picture)

- Analog TV Input and Recordable

- MP3(MPEG-1 Layer-3) Transfer & Play from Internet via USB 2.0

- Powerful & Stable Trick mode

- USB 2.0 support for Fast transfer via PC

- Removable Hard Disk Cartridge and Variable HDD size

I bought it from Shebasat based in East London. Please visit their site http://www.shebasat.com/ and click on the relevant drop down list for more info! Or you can directly contact them on 020 8553 3520 or 020 8911 9220. Try speak to Ahmed...who I have dealt with!

Forgot to mention....picks up majority of European and Arab channels...and not the 400 channel I mentioned....more like 1000's++...hard to count all of them...unless you got a week free from doing anything else!!! :duh: :lol:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links