Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

A Cautionary Tale

panda

I am probably the only member of this forum who could get into this mess - but if this helps anybody to avoid damage to their car I will be pleased. Today I had to take my car for a new windscreen on insurance to a national fitter. I have never had to do this before. The windscreen was a genuine Lexus one. I arrived and handed over my keys just like I do at the garage - where I don't of course expect to have to walk round the car and check what scratches or dents there are on it. That was a big mistake. I went about my business, intending to return about 3 hours later. About an hour after I had left I got a phone call from the fitters to say that they were just about to fit the windscreen and were doing a 'check for scratches etc' and did I know that my car had quite a few scratches on it? Given that I had only had it S/H for about 4 weeks I though I knew exactly what scratches it had. I went back and was shown a couple of scratches above the drivers door which looked fresh to me but which of course I could not definately say were not there before I brought it in. They also said there was some abrasion on the rim of the bonnet in front of the nearside wiper - I was shown it looking down on it outside the car and it didn't look much. I signed the papers to say that any scratches shown on the work sheet were there before the work was done and left for home with my new windscreen in. While driving home, with the sun behind me illuminating the rim of the bonnet I was horrified to see that the lower part of the rim had had the paint taken off to the metal over about 5 inches - that definately was not there when I took it in. I got home and began to look more closely - there were scuffs and scratches all over the place round the windscreen! Fortunately most will be able to be done up by a mobile repairer at a cost I expect of about £160. Having signed for the car I am of course in a difficult position in trying to make a claim - so I am not about to get myself stressed out with it. By the time I have done it would probably have been cheaper to forget the insurance and take it to the Lexus dealer to have it done. The moral of this story is clear I think.

sorry to hear bud, you should try a claim no ask no get

Well as it happens the sheet I signed doesn't show halfof the scuffs they put on it so I might have a go. The funny thing is that when they called I was in a Lexus garage with my wife. The first thing she and the salesman both said was - "that's suspicious"!! How right they were - what really niggles me is that the fitters knew they had c***ed up and just decided to pull the wool.

Dont use those mobile repairers/scratch wizards as they are **** ****. After a few washes the scratches will be visible again. I have used them on my previous car and the work was ok until i washed the car. Went looking for the ****** as well, very eager to take the £100 not eager to sort it out. So it was either a fractured skull & hospital time or pay me back. He took the latter

It will probably need a re-spray by a professional body shop to remove the marks/scratches.

Dont use those mobile repairers/scratch wizards as they are **** ****. After a few washes the scratches will be visible again. I have used them on my previous car and the work was ok until i washed the car. It will probably need a re-spray by a professional body shop to remove the marks/scratches.

I agree!

Used them to do a bumper scuff and 9 months later the paint had faded so bad I needed a re-spray

I think with windscreens it's best to get them to come to you ( mobile ) or stay and watch them. Not much use as advice now though.

Did you buy the car from the Lexus dealer? if so mat be worth getting them to confirm what wa sans wasn't damaged. Did you take any pictures when you bought it to show ii off on here? if so they may be useful too.

Good luck.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links