Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Is220d Or 320d?

JFB2

Hi Folks,

Really enjoying reading all the banter on this site - so thought I'd give it a go before placing an order.

Been thoroughly indecisive about whether to replace current Merc CLK with an IS220d or 320d. Very impressed with local Lexus dealer who is attentive and helpful, and the IS looks better than 3 series inside and out. The drive of the 3 is better to be totally honest, but the IS is cheaper.

The big letdown is no Auto available on the IS 220d, plus there's no auto recirculation on the climate control (whereas there is on the 250 bizarrely enough), and the dealer doesn't seem too keen to fit rear parking sensors. The BMW comes with whatever weird option permutations you could possibly want!

The 220d gearbox is not the best - 6th is next to useless as on the motorway it keeps revs at the engine's roughest point, and 1st is obstructive when changing down.

Making me wonder if I should go for a 250 with auto and pay for the extra fuel?

Also, heard that MM will be worth £700 when trading in, so what happened to the other £2000?

Any thoughts?

JFB

Hi Folks,

Really enjoying reading all the banter on this site - so thought I'd give it a go before placing an order.

Been thoroughly indecisive about whether to replace current Merc CLK with an IS220d or 320d. Very impressed with local Lexus dealer who is attentive and helpful, and the IS looks better than 3 series inside and out. The drive of the 3 is better to be totally honest, but the IS is cheaper.

The big letdown is no Auto available on the IS 220d, plus there's no auto recirculation on the climate control (whereas there is on the 250 bizarrely enough), and the dealer doesn't seem too keen to fit rear parking sensors. The BMW comes with whatever weird option permutations you could possibly want!

The 220d gearbox is not the best - 6th is next to useless as on the motorway it keeps revs at the engine's roughest point, and 1st is obstructive when changing down.

Making me wonder if I should go for a 250 with auto and pay for the extra fuel?

Also, heard that MM will be worth £700 when trading in, so what happened to the other £2000?

Any thoughts?

JFB

If you was to go the BMW way dont get the 230d get the 330d lots better engine.

if its lexus 220d or BMW 320d then the lexus wins :D

Hi there JFB ( not John Frederick Barker is it... ) and welcome .

I too was gonna have the 320d - I was very impressed with the test drive of it. I fancied the new Lexus 220d, but like yourself, was dismayed to see no auto option ( mistake by lexus me thinks ). I then drove the new 250 sel with all the toys, and was smitten.

I thought sod the petrolbill...this is just sooooo nice, I gotta have one :D

Only concerns now are a some initaial disappointments from the so called " Lexus experience" of dealers etc.

Also, depsite being told when ordered in December "March delivery should be no problem" It is now being suggested it might be May before she arrives :o

It's not just about price of the MM (being wirth £700) at trade in...the Lex comes with Leather, keyless, heated e/seats etc....

To get a reasonably spec'd BM would cost you thousands more. At trade in time, you get back a percentage of base list plus a small return on the factory fit extras...you would lose £000's on the Bm.

True the gearing is a bit strange, and no auto, but the Bm will be as common as muck and not as well built.

Lexus all the way. The closest in terms of quality is the Audi A4, but with a new model around the corner and a bland interior the Lex wins. It's so much modern metal for the money...

This makes interesting reading! I too am in this dilemma as my IS200 is due for a replacement. I test drove the IS250SE auto last week and was smitten by the auto box. If the 220d is manual then I too will probably go for the auto is250.

The new 3 series looks too clinical for me, the interior is just boring and reminds me of the old 3 series, not much progress there then! The new IS interior is just amazing! It's inviting and a joy to be in.

And the 3 series is a big favourite on company car lists and you will be a mere number on the motorway, on the otherhand the lexus will still be unique I reckon!

I went through a similar process and decided on 220d. 3 series is visually rubbish and every other car you come across seems to be a 320d. Company car cost of 250 auto was way to high and I found i got used to the gearing on the 220d after a few days...

mesa red 220d se with MM due April 12th - counting the days

I went through a similar process and decided on 220d. 3 series is visually rubbish and every other car you come across seems to be a 320d. Company car cost of 250 auto was way to high and I found i got used to the gearing on the 220d after a few days...

mesa red 220d se with MM due April 12th - counting the days

Haf, you are right, you do get used to the gearing. Sixth gear is fine on the motorway from 80 mph onwards and does lead to a very relaxing refined cruise.

....there's no auto recirculation on the climate control (whereas there is on the 250 bizarrely enough.....

Just noticed this - is this really true? I thought it was a standard fitment across the piece...

Hi Jamboo, for some reason it hasn't fitted to the diesel. The first my dealer found out about it was when he tried to demo it to me when I picked the car up. Both of us were suprised to find that it wasn't fitted, so no smog detector for us :ph34r:

Both of us were suprised to find that it wasn't fitted, so no smog detector for us :ph34r:

Could it be that the oil-burner makes so much smog itself that the detector would be working overtime :lol::tomato:

Cheers Scott/Tony, I could have sworn I saw something in the test 220d...looked like a switch with the "roundabout" sign.

I suppose it was built for London...seeing that none of us live in London it's OK...but I take it that there is a manual switch for switching "re-circ" on or off...

PS sense of humour on this forum gets better and better...

Scott - what MPG are you showing now? (AND have you stopped smiling yet?)

Both of us were suprised to find that it wasn't fitted, so no smog detector for us :ph34r:

Could it be that the oil-burner makes so much smog itself that the detector would be working overtime :lol::tomato:

Cheers Scott/Tony, I could have sworn I saw something in the test 220d...looked like a switch with the "roundabout" sign.

I suppose it was built for London...seeing that none of us live in London it's OK...but I take it that there is a manual switch for switching "re-circ" on or off...

Hmmm, you probably don't want to know the mpg ... it's showing 35 mpg after 500 (mostly motorway) miles :angry: I'll see where I am after 2000 miles, if it's still showing low 30s then there will be a conversation with my Lexus dealer, cos at that rate I might as well have bought the 250.

But, I'm still chuffed to bits with it :D

Hmmm, you probably don't want to know the mpg ... it's showing 35 mpg after 500 (mostly motorway) miles :angry: I'll see where I am after 2000 miles, if it's still showing low 30s then there will be a conversation with my Lexus dealer, cos at that rate I might as well have bought the 250.

But, I'm still chuffed to bits with it :D

Interesting...so I wonder where the 44.7 comes from...down hill with engine off? :shifty: I will not be very happy if I can't get >40MPG...that's the least I would expect.

But then it is tree huggingly green with all that emissions reducing technology... :luck:

AND....can you reset the MPG readout easily on it's own or does it reset "trip odo" and other things too?

PS Sorry for the hijack...the 220d is still better than the 320d :whistling: 35MPG or not....

AND....can you reset the MPG readout easily on it's own or does it reset "trip odo" and other things too?

I believe you can - I tried and failed so will need to read the manual :blush: There are two MPG figures, MPG since the car was made (?) and an MPG for the current tank of petrol. I tried to reset the tank figure as I've just filled up.

I believe you can - I tried and failed so will need to read the manual :blush: There are two MPG figures, MPG since the car was made (?) and an MPG for the current tank of petrol. I tried to reset the tank figure as I've just filled up.

I'm pretty sure that the MPG for the tank resets every time you fill up. I did notice something in the manual about resetting it, I guess I will have another read - RTFM I guess, but it is not the most exciting read, I find myself falling asleep. :sleeping:

Cheers Scott -

I found a manual check much more accurate than the trip computer on previous cars...

My old car normally showed 56-58 MPG on a fastish commute/motorway run from Leics to south east and back (AC on, 230 mile round trip), but when you brimmed the tank against the miles covered etc, it was closer to 53 MPG actual brim to brim, so a 10%ish over reading (largely due to it going to 99MPG when you lifted off).

On the test drive the 220d had 1/4 tank of diesel and the range showing was 155 miles...which is not bad...mind you the car had a total of 80 miles on the clock, so am not sure what it was forecasting against :huh:

One thing to remember (I think I mentioned it before) is the Oil level - diesel engines do "use" more oil than a petrol, and you need to keep a watchful eye for the first 10,000 miles especially. Don't be surprised if you find you need half a litre to a litre for the first 1000 miles...

Also, fuel consumption will improve by up to 10% from my experience of VAG and Peugeot diesels over 10,000 miles.

Back on original topic (sorry to hi-jack - - :iraqi-info-minister: )

Check the BMW paintwork, sheen and lusture. Notice how in the showroom light it looks very "orange peel" and distinctly not mirror like. Compare to the Lexus - any model - in the show room. Black is best...there is hardly any "orange peel" ripple on the paint - it's flat and glossy how it should be. It's like a mirror. No amount of polishing can totally remove the orange peel effect of a badly painted car (I worked in a body shop for a while a few years ago). Also notice the underside of the bonnet and boot (possibly). On the BMW there is no lacquer...

Also, look at not just the quality of the materials in the BMW, but their fit and finish. They are pretty good, but then compare to the New IS or an Audi A4 - which are both on a different level.

The Merc C Class improved alot in 2004 (with that facelift) but the fit and finish is still not very good (for the money IMHO).

Whilst it looks OK, the metallic plastic around the gear stick, the shaft, gear knob and gaiter look cheapy on the IS - I wonder if the Auto's knob would fit...the aluminium insert adds a dash of contemporary, yet modern style...IMHO! On the SEL you don't get this, but you do get a wonderful piece of Yamaha piano wood!! Superb...

How does that compare to a german car's interior...the new IS is on a different level!!

PS I wonder if you can swop out the plastic trim, ashtray etc for the Yamaha wood on an SE in the New IS range...there's a thought...might need a hacksaw to get the gear knob in... :D

My old car normally showed 56-58 MPG on a fastish commute/motorway run from Leics to south east and back (AC on, 230 mile round trip), but when you brimmed the tank against the miles covered etc, it was closer to 53 MPG actual brim to brim, so a 10%ish over reading (largely due to it going to 99MPG when you lifted off).

I even turned off the AC in the hope of improving the figure - made no difference!

On the test drive the 220d had 1/4 tank of diesel and the range showing was 155 miles...which is not bad...mind you the car had a total of 80 miles on the clock, so am not sure what it was forecasting against :huh:

155 miles on a 1/4 tank is more like what I should be getting.

One thing to remember (I think I mentioned it before) is the Oil level - diesel engines do "use" more oil than a petrol, and you need to keep a watchful eye for the first 10,000 miles especially. Don't be surprised if you find you need half a litre to a litre for the first 1000 miles...

Also, fuel consumption will improve by up to 10% from my experience of VAG and Peugeot diesels over 10,000 miles.

Thanks for the tip on the oil, I will keep a watchful eye. I think at the moment I need to do some more miles ... just when I was looking forward to some long trips I get to work from home for two weeks. So not much driving going on.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links