Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Pre-warranty Expire Check

R1nG@

Hi Guys

My SportCross is a month from the warranty expiring and I was going to get it checked over in case theres anything I can get fixed before it runs out.

First question - Can I trust a Main Dealer to check the neccessary things that are prone to need doing. Or will they say its all OK even when it isn't??

Secondly - I want to tell them what to check, but I'm no mechanic - So what do tell them ie, Ball Joints etc????

I already know there is corrosion forming on the alloys, so I'll be in there for those anyway.

Cheers

Matt

I assume that the warranty is the main (from new) one judging by the age of the car.

If a main dealer replaces anything under warranty Lexus GB would pay them, so on that basis they should be straight with you.

Hi Guys

My SportCross is a month from the warranty expiring and I was going to get it checked over in case theres anything I can get fixed before it runs out.

First question - Can I trust a Main Dealer to check the neccessary things that are prone to need doing. Or will they say its all OK even when it isn't??

Secondly - I want to tell them what to check, but I'm no mechanic - So what do tell them ie, Ball Joints etc????

I already know there is corrosion forming on the alloys, so I'll be in there for those anyway.

Cheers

Matt

I had a warranty check done at Lexus Woodford last summer before my warranty expired. I didn't really specify anything in particular to check, so they just checked the car over and told me what needed doing.

I can't remember exactly, but I remember they replaced my ball joints (which also meant a free full geometry), my satnav controller (as one button was sticking), 2 alloys for corrosion (although they were only corroding due to kerb damage) and there may have been one or two other little things. I remember seeing the bill which would have been around £700, but it was all replaced FOC under warranty :D

I don't think they'll try and hide anything that's wrong with the car, as they don't pay for it anyway ;)

Q1). They'll change the parts if after inspecting them they need replacing.

Q2). Here's a few points to check:

Had both front and rear shock absorbers replaced (leaking)

All locks replaced, as ignition was sticking

2nd gear replaced

Front foglights replaced (corrosion)

Boot springs replaced

Sunroof rattle, (to be fixed still)

Checked ball joints

Replaced head lamp washer

Bonnet release cable

Discs replaced (brake judder)

I had all the above replaced. That should keep them busy... :)

Original post

Just before my warranty ran out I had the wheels replaced (corrosion), plus the passenger side mirror glass, which was starting to show a "sunrise" at the bottom of the greenish electrochromic tint. Driver's side one wasn't done as this appeared to have been replaced before I bought the car.

Worth checking the mirrors carefully, jeastham's old LS Mk.3 has this effect pretty badly on one of his mirrors.

Cheers for the replies Guys.

I would hope they would be straight with me.

But I have a voice in my head saying "What if they ignore the problems, then once the warrenty has run out I have to pay for the repairs myself!!! Then they can tell HQ how much money they saved them and consequently made for themselves!!!!"

Just mention to your dealer that the points your raising now, you won't expect to have to replace sometime in the near future.

Most dealers are very helpful and genuine, and will accommodate where they can.

Let us know how you get on :)

Just mention to your dealer that the points your raising now, you won't expect to have to replace sometime in the near future.

Most dealers are very helpful and genuine, and will accommodate where they can.

Let us know how you get on :)

Thats exactly what I wanna be able to do - but I'm not sure exactly what to ask them to check!!!

Say to them, "as your probably aware, the following things (list above) are common faults with the IS. Please can you check these points and replace them as necessary under warranty, as I don't want to have to pay for them to be replaced after my warranty period expires."

I can't see any specific reason why they won't accommodate you.

You Could go to another dealer tell them it out of warranty and then see what thay find :D then hit them with its still under warranty :o and you must have got your dates wrong :D

Yeah, thats a good un, although I reckon they would look it up on a database and find out Reg Date first.

I took my is200 2 weeks before the warranty expired to get a service and mot done. Made sure everything was checked on the car that is under the warranty, the following got replaced under warranty.

Brand new alloys

2 front fog lights

boot springs

lower ball joints and some sort of arms

Make sure you ask them to check everything and anything not 100% get it replaced under the warranty.

Raj

Your reading too much into mate... chillax :winky:

Yeah, probly am!!!! I just dont wanna get hit with a bill for something that could've been sorted for free!!!!

So at the moment I've got:

Front and rear shock absorbers

Ball joints

Gears

Front foglights

Boot springs

Sat Nav Controller

Water Pump

Bonnet release cable

Discs

Anything else mechanical go wrong on an IS???

Cheers

Matt

Leaking water pump was the one that got me. Dealers had the car just before the warranty ran out for MOT. Service was just after the warranty ran out and the water pump was leaking pink gunk so they charged loads to replace it. I'm sure that pink gunk had been there for weeks, before the MOT and before the warranty ran out. Would have been good if they'd spotted it then when they MOTd the car, or if I'd woke up to the fact it meant a leak and got something done about it. Oh well.

Leaking water pump was the one that got me. Dealers had the car just before the warranty ran out for MOT. Service was just after the warranty ran out and the water pump was leaking pink gunk so they charged loads to replace it. I'm sure that pink gunk had been there for weeks, before the MOT and before the warranty ran out. Would have been good if they'd spotted it then when they MOTd the car, or if I'd woke up to the fact it meant a leak and got something done about it. Oh well.

Now thats what I'm talking about!!!!

Conveniently missing something that clearly needs replacing!!!

Resulting in an unneccessary expense that could've been avoided!!!

Sorry they done ya javadude, but I think I'll ring my independent garage mate first thing tomorrow.

Cheers Fellas :winky:

Matt

You Could go to another dealer tell them it out of warranty and then see what thay find :D then hit them with its still under warranty :o and you must have got your dates wrong :D

All service history and warranty for each Lexus is kept within the database. When a Lexus arrives at a dealer for service, they will type in the rego number that will reveal all the detail including warranty expiry date :D

Hi Guys

Cheers

Matt

I had a warranty check done at Lexus Woodford last summer before my warranty expired. I didn't really specify anything in particular to check, so they just checked the car over and told me what needed doing.

I can't remember exactly, but I remember they replaced my ball joints (which also meant a free full geometry), my satnav controller (as one button was sticking), 2 alloys for corrosion (although they were only corroding due to kerb damage) and there may have been one or two other little things. I remember seeing the bill which would have been around £700, but it was all replaced FOC under warranty :D

I don't think they'll try and hide anything that's wrong with the car, as they don't pay for it anyway ;)

Fascinating - an insider at Audi in Leicester told me that they were targeted to reduce the number of warranty claims, and so they would "budget" how many claims they were allowed to "wing" every quarter. What that meant is that you had to fight tooth and nail for anything like corroding wheels...they replaced 3 on my Audi, and the 4th they wouldn't as I had very mildly kerbed it, though the corrosion was no where near the kerbed bit...and the corroded bit was much bigger than the kerbed area!

It was one of the things that put me off buying another Audi...

They wouldn't allow a pre-warranty expire check...no such thing :huh: when I asked them (and yes they would charge me at £85 per hour EVEN if something needed replacing as I couldn't tell them that something was wrong :whistling::sick: ...)

Well I rang Hatfield on Thursday afternoon and asked if they would carry out a check before warrenty expires and also first MOT.

I asked if all known problems could be checked for me and the service guy goes quiet for at least 10 seconds (which is a long time when your on the phone!!) and then says "MMmmmm known problems.........I don't know of any on an IS" !!!!!

I said "I'll bring a list in for you then!!!"

Its going in Tuesday, I've got a feeling they wont find anything conveniently!!!

Cheers

Matt

Just as predicted no major problems found!!!!

Just getting new alloys, calipers, wiper arm and the washer bottle replaced as it leaks.

Thanks for your input guys

atb

Matt

New calipers? Due to a bit of corrosion or something? :blink:

My warranty ran out in middle of January this year, but didn't think/bother to get a "pre-warranty expire" check. Good idea I guess, but to be honest, I bought the IS model due to the amount of positive comments, ratings, owner experiences etc. in that it was a reliable car - not known to have any serious mechanical faults.

Things like corrosion are "expected" to be honest, and obviously wear and tear.

But anyway, like you found, no major problems :)

D.

Had some clicking/knocking recently, dont know what that would be due to.

Where does it seem to come from and during idle or moving ?

Hear it during braking

Check all wheel nuts for lose yourself . If that does not solve get a mechanic to chech the brake and service both front calipers. That will resolve the clicking/knocking issue.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links