Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Vs Is250

NetOne

The problem I see with the IS250 is that while it's quiet and luxurious, and has lots of goodies like the reversing camera, its looks are very bland and boring.

As always, opinions differ. I have been driving an IS250 for 4 days and have never driven a car before that has so many people stopping to stare. And the comments in car parks are fantastic.

Bland and boring is far from the truth and coming from Gen 1 IS owners is beginning to sound like sour grapes. Lexus are making real progress and the price point is making a very clear statement about where they want to be.

A friend of mine has had 2 C class Mercedes and has had nothing but problems. He was really up for buying an IS250 as he has always liked the 3 IS200's that I've had (and have been no bother).

Anyway, he's ended up buying a BMW 320 as the IS250 just worked out sooooo expensive. I've driven an IS250 for a day when my IS200 went in for it's 3rd service. It was a lovely car, but as my Is200 has only done 15k miles the new car did seem *that* much better so didn't really make me want to change.

I hope that the posts on here about dealers getting rid of salespeople don't relate to the big price hike. I think I'm going to end up with a 250, but I'll wait until my IS200 is a year older - hopefully, I will have been on the depreciation curve a bit longer and at 4 years old it won't hurt so much to shell out for a 250!!

The problem I see with the IS250 is that while it's quiet and luxurious, and has lots of goodies like the reversing camera, its looks are very bland and boring.

As always, opinions differ. I have been driving an IS250 for 4 days and have never driven a car before that has so many people stopping to stare. And the comments in car parks are fantastic.

Bland and boring is far from the truth and coming from Gen 1 IS owners is beginning to sound like sour grapes. Lexus are making real progress and the price point is making a very clear statement about where they want to be.

No Sour grapes just observations i think people are entitled to an opinion. I agree the IS250 looks bland without modifications. The old one stood out more for me always. Give you some rotten apples if you want dude :D

My two pennies worth...

I reckon the IS 250 has the looks of a more executive car. I reckon it's supposed to exude luxury and understated class.

The IS 200 on the other hand... has a more sporty appearance, appealing as more of a drivers car than the 250.

Whether these characteristics are matched by the performance of the cars is not really important. The salient point is their aesthetic appeal.

Personally I love the IS 200. It looks the business.

I don't agree with what some are saying about the looks on the new IS, in my opinion it is the most beautiful small saloon money can buy - what else looks better in standard form?

I also don't understand everyone saying the IS is expensive. Its only expensive compared to the old IS, compared to the competition, its cheap! :blink:

Opinions differ as stated before… but claiming that the new IS looks dull I just cannot understand – especially not compared to the old one.

And comparing the interior of the both cars, the difference is incredible with the new model being way ahead on quality feeling.

As one of the biggest car magazines in Sweden stated: “the new BMW 3-series has never looked so bland as when placed next to the new IS” :)

Oh yeah, and the ride on 18 inchers is not noisy and not disturbingly hard IMHO.

I had a 250SE-L MM for 24 hours last month while my SportCross went in for a service.

It was a totally different driving experience to the old IS.

It felt huge inside, looked huge outside, was faster, smoother and more comfortable, than the old one.

I imagine its was probably closer to driving an LS than an old IS, although I haven't driven an LS.

And with all the new toys (6 x DVD changer, reversing camera and lights everywhere) its a great car.

Unfortunately, now with 2 tiny mouths to feed, it'll be a while before I own one!!!

Matt

Having owned an IS200 Sport for three years and am currently the very proud owner of an IS250 SE-L, I find the new car light years ahead in every way. Yes the 200 was a great car with fantastic looks but the 250 has it beat in every way. I just could not imagine going back to the old car now.

Compare the new IS to its peers (BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Saab) on looks alone the IS has them beat hands down.

is the new 220 and 250 any better in the snow or is still really very poor as the is200

Just had opportunity to do a direct comparison in the snow. See my post here. (Q: How do I link directly to my post in that thread? used to be able to do it but can't seem to find it now)

New Lexus is marginally better in the snow - probably just because of the extra weight - but still pretty awful! However, dealer pointed out that all rear wheel drives are awful in snow and said that he still thought it was better than BMW's or Mercs. Cant say as I haven't driven them myself. Of course if you check http://www.lexus.com/models/is/index.html you'll note the Americans get an AWD version. And just to rub it in to us ripped off Brits, if you follow the "Build your Lexus" link on that site, (use this zip code: 88005), you can buy an AWD250, with the Sat nav and reversing camera etc, for $37,619.00. That's £21,432 :tsktsk:

As to your list, my opinion is that the new model is superior in every way. Agree, however, that it's not quite as sporty looking as the old one. It's a much more substantial car and looks feels way more expensive. As others have said - this is definitely a Lexus, whereas old one is just a rebadged Toyota.

Only thing I wasn't impressed with was the plastic used on the dash. Still looks cheap and nasty and lets down the luxury look of the rest of the interior. But I definitely still want one. Will have to move to the States I guess :winky:

you can buy an AWD250, with the Sat nav and reversing camera etc, for $37,619.00. That's £21,432 :tsktsk:

I agree that there should be an AWD option over here as well, but I don't think the prices on the website include taxes, so the price difference is not actually that large....

Thanks all, you guys are definitely more experienced in driving IS than myself and all the comments are terrific. To conclude, I would say that only 30% of people still like the old IS while 70% are going for the new IS. It sounds like I should keep the IS200 a little longer and enjoy its good characteristic before I lose it. Besides, IS250 has missed out the door pockets on the rear doors which is quite convenient that I need it sometime.

Besides, IS250 has missed out the door pockets on the rear doors which is quite convenient that I need it sometime.

In the new IS you get a much more useful large centre console in the front and the rear. Rear centre console/armrest is nice and large with integrate cup holders that glide in/out when you press them :)

The door pockets in the front are better too as they will take large drink bottles.

• 7 months later...

1 - Comfortable

2 - Smoothness

3 - Performance & Handling

4 - Feel of luxurious

5 - Fun to drive

1 less wind noise, less engine noise, same amount tire noise

1 - more comfort on suspension

2 everything is smooth......... maybe the care was brand new :)

3 the 250 performance better and handling is different........

4 its a lexus not a toyota anymore.......

5 the is200 is still more fun to drive....... it gives u the right feel.......

As my IS250 is my first Lexus, I was not aware of how an IS200 drove...until I was given one for 2 days whilst the seatbelt recall was carried out.

There IS NO COMPARISON! The IS200 reminded me soo much of my old Toyota Corolla - hard plastic dash, thin steering wheel, rough auto-gearbox with a delayed kick-down. Noise levels were much higher - even the a/c compressor could be felt cutting in and out. I am sure at its release, the IS200 was comparable with other qualtiy cars but comparing it to the IS250 is like comparing an apple to mango. One is refreshing but often eaten on the run when you've run out of other food wheras the mango gets better with each savoured bite - just like my IS250! :D

I must admit that the new is is better due to better technology being readily available however the old is200 looked better with its smooth curves and is now no longer an old mans car whereas the new is250 or whatever has now got the "old man image", i hate change!!

Hi, I'm from italy, I can just give to you my opinion about the is220d vs the is200, I haved 2 is200 and now from march I got a is220 luxury and MM, the big difference, apart the interior (another world from the old one) is the engine, I was afraid to change from a 6cyl to a 4cyl diesel, the difference is big, honestly, but just under 1800 rpm 230 kmh with my old one, if just fake, I never saw

sorry for the english :P

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links