Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Scraping Ice From Windscreen

Moffet

After complaining about having to chisel my way into the car this morning someone at work told me about this: http://www.webasto-hotshot.com/

It's a screen wash heater so that warm screen wash is sprayed onto the windows which is better for cleaning and also melts ice. Looks like a good idea to me. Anyone heard of it/seen it/have one?

i find a tape cassette box is a great scraper (the cover/opening part, its pretty handy to hold and you can always find one lying about). As for that 'hotshot' device my one concern is that ice ruins wipers and as it wont cover the entire windscreen with hot water your wipers will suffer and need changing eventually.

otherwise hot water or de icer are what i would use if i had access to either.

Hot water does the job good enough.

Watch out with hot water!

I've seen many a windscreen cracked on a cold morning by the over zealous application of hot water :blink:

Hot water does the job good enough.

Watch out with hot water!

I've seen many a windscreen cracked on a cold morning by the over zealous application of hot water :blink:

Yeah I knew someone who shattered a screen with boiled water !!

I have a very expensive scraper, its the "door" of a variable speed inverter - cost to replace the inverter was about £ 1800. Don't know how a piece of the old one ended up in the car, but it does a good job :D

I get dressed...strt to cook brekkie.....turn on car...eat brekkie.

Get in a de iced car

Or have no car to get into if someone nicks it :D, and your insurance company will probably have a clause that doesn't pay out if the keys are in the ignition - mine does.

Get in a de iced car

Or have no car to get into if someone nicks it :D, and your insurance company will probably have a clause that doesn't pay out if the keys are in the ignition - mine does.

yeah - someone nicks it, doesn't clean the screen, knocks someone over -dead, and ins co doesn't pay out becaue the screen was not clear :duh: you locked up - (suppose you would not need the car then though :hehe:

I find that the liberal application of de-icer, combined with a few choice expletives normally does the trick.

Or

Turn the car on, wait inside while I make my packed lunch for the day (all the time keeping a beedy eye out for any miscreants looking for a 'Joy'ride - mind you the old lady next door is normally around at that time and she could scare Death away, and probably does!)

If the car is not quite de-iced I hunch over the steering wheel like an old granny and peer through the bottom of the windscreen that has inevitably cleared first. I find it more of a challenge to drive this way :driving:

Get in a de iced car

yeah - someone nicks it, doesn't clean the screen, knocks someone over -dead, and ins co doesn't pay out becaue the screen was not clear :duh: you locked up - (suppose you would not need the car then though :hehe:

This is where Remote Starters work a treat..... :winky:

Get in a de iced car

This is where Remote Starters work a treat..... :winky:

Really miss that..........

Get in a de iced car

Crazylex - have you been smoking ? :winky: :lol:

Get in a de iced car

Crazylex - have you been smoking ? :winky: :lol:

:D

Just found out a customer who had an insurance repair done by us, is strugling to get his cash back from the ins co (its a printing press not a car), so ins co's are not my favourite topic today.

Now where did I put that lighter :whistling:

if tis cold enough to freeze the windows its normally cold enough to freeze the water in the washer jets, so by the time the water heater had melted that, your aircon would be well on the way to de-frosting the windows, in my opinion it wouldn't really be worth it, just a thought :unsure:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links