Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220d Arrives

Hey Jamboo. Congrats. Looks really good. Wish we had a choice of Red down here. Bit slack here in Oz and no diesel option either.

Noticed you have the manual. How have you found the gears?

I feel that 1, 2 & 3 are a bit "clunky" and sometimes feel like not meshing properly, and getting back into first is sometimes difficult.

Congrats Jamboo, spookily I have ordered the exact same spec (220d mesa/black with MM) and its due early june! Glad to finally hear some positive views as the current spate of negativity was getting me down a bit... Keep us posted on the mpg fron as thats what worries me at the moment...

Haf

Jamboo,

FINALLY!!! I bet you are chuffed to bits with it and it does look stunning. Just given mine a good clean and I keep making extended toilet breaks while in the office so I can take another look at her (sad I know!).

The manuals are another thing altogether. I gave up in the end as they are not a very riveting read. Must revisit them as a few people have asked me what certain signs mean on the sat nav and I haven't a clue :blink:

Keep us updated on your progress, I'd be interested to know what the fuel consumption is like.

Jamboo,

So finally after all the waiting, whingeing, frustration et all, you are the proud owner of the best car in its class.

Congrats, and enjoy. The colour looks great. As with the other posts, would be interesting to know what your fuel consumption is over time.

After 3 months I'm Still smiling :D , despite my rattle problem, now sorted.

Incidently my dealship took photos of the innards with the dash removed to send to HQ with a report letting them know how to sort the rattles out, which were traced to a series of clips that need to be secured properly, being dislodged travelling over very rough roads etc.

The newer cars should have no problems. Keep us posted on that issue.

Guys,

thanks all for the vote of confidence.

I'm still using a pre-booked hire car, but have completed 150 odd miles over the weekend. She's sweet!

I will be compiling my MPG stuff, suffice it to say, it shows "Tank Ave" of 28.8mpg! But it's had more idling than I would have liked...

So I'm not looking forward to it at all!

Guys,

I'm still using a pre-booked hire car, but have completed 150 odd miles over the weekend. She's sweet!

I will be compiling my MPG stuff, suffice it to say, it shows "Tank Ave" of 28.8mpg! But it's had more idling than I would have liked...

you see, it works. You like her so much, you already started making excuses for her :-).

the car looks great. How are you getting on with the manuals. It took me about three weeks to get to grips with them properly. I "think" I'm up on at least 90% of what the car can do (I've got the IS220D SE).

The Sat Nav is really amazing.

Guys,

you see, it works. You like her so much, you already started making excuses for her :-).

Not quite had a chance to get too p'd off yet...

I am actually annoyed at the MPG....that's the lowest I have ever seen in a diesel after 150 miles of a brimmed tank...ever!

I've done 10's of 000's in differnt diesels. This is the worst... :angry::crybaby:

So I am now hoping it improves big time...but from experience, it won't improve much beyond 10-15% over 5-10000 miles...unless they have it EMU'd to do this early in it's life.

kind of interesting, I went over to Swiss lexus forums, and ppl there are getting averages above 41 MPG, with long trips on two lanes at 50 MPG, which is what I would expect from consumption in Toyota's that I know.

I...will.....be....patient.....

1,2,3,4.... :shutit:

It'll get better I'm sure, but no one from Lexus will tell you anything...that's what I find infuriating. I did not expect this, especially with how wonderful their Customer Service is supposed to be...

:yawn:

but what are they supposed to tell you? car is working fine, there is nothing to fix there...

If you came to my service center, I would tell you to drive in higher gear. As long as fuel isnt leaking, there is absolutly nothing that dealer can do. They can not do any modifications or anything similar... They could replace the ECU but it is not malfunctioning :-).

No, you've missed the point:

Lexus claim an MPG figure for the deisel that appears not to be achievable. No matter how you drive. Whereas the Petrol appears to be able to, and is more economical than the diesel in some conditions.

6th Gear is useless unless you break the speed limit.

That's the problem. Nothings broken (except the speed limit if you want to use 6th comfortably!!), we've just been misled! That's not what you expect.

We can hope it improves over time. But I want Lexus to tell me that! My dealer has no clue.

It is not impossible that there is some software issue with the ECU. I remember the early runs of the new Toyota Avalon (US model only) suffering from gearbox indecision were found to have had faulty software installs. These were subsequently solved at the dealer. However this process took time during which owners and test drivers thought there was a fundamental fault with car.

but again, its goverment mandated test. its not lexus doing anything. They are not inventing anything. they have to put whatever they did on the test.

Yes, and I do agree in part. But as I drive the car more, I'm getting to the stage where I don't really care. It's actually a small problem in the grand scheme - the car's so good! I find something new everyday...

Back on item:

I'd like to know what to do/how to hit the figures, which no "mortal" in the UK can currently/regularly. That's all. Whether it's government mandated or not, it's the manufacturer that we need the details from. It is possible that these tests are either commissioned in a Lab/theory, actual driving conditions or just a rolling road.

Driving in a higher gear? Well if you drive the 220d you will see that it's not that simple. Gearing is very tall. The owners handbook states what gears you should drive in/change in, and even if you follow that religiously, it still makes not a jots difference...page 113. Incidentally those speeds are the same as the 250, but the 250 has a different gearing ratio, and is not labouring then from my memory at all.

Driving in a higher gear is "uncomfortable" for the car in so many conditions. There is little performance, and true it could be down to a tight engine. If you switch to current MPG, the histogram suffers...so it cannot be helping.

The ECU/EMU issue is a distinct possibility, especially as people in Sweden are getting closer to the stated figures. The UK ECU could have a bug in it (what designers call "Design Intent" :winky: to stop egg being chucked into their mugs)...

Like I say I'm still drafting the note, but I need a few miles under the belt before I can submit it with some data (I want to see what happens over the next few months and whether it does "fix" itself...)

Given that I have an april build date I am hoping that any s/w or ecu issues may have been fixed to get the elusive 50mpg.... either that or Jamboo will have done a few thousand miles by then and no doubt will be giving lexus a hard time for answers!

Given that I have an april build date I am hoping that any s/w or ecu issues may have been fixed to get the elusive 50mpg.... either that or Jamboo will have done a few thousand miles by then and no doubt will be giving lexus a hard time for answers!

You'll love it mate. I managed 50mpg after resetting the trip on an A road, for a few miles last weekend, so I think it might be possible, but today it's showing 29mpg for the tank so far (32 since the reset on the trip) ...175 miles on the ODO...and the fuel guage approaches half a tank...

Over half of those miles were done on fast A road and dual carriageway.

But overall I am so pleased I didn't buy another Audi or a BMW, it's so much better all round. Like the video you posted... :)

there is probably some info on some gov site about how they calculate mileage. I think main difference is that speed that they are going at are lower than normal speeds on highway...

Tests have to be done in exactly same conditions for every car, so they probably do it somewhere specific, then average results based on weather conditions. Tests are mandated so they can be repeated, and 10 out of 10 times, they have to show same results...

there is probably some info on some gov site about how they calculate mileage. I think main difference is that speed that they are going at are lower than normal speeds on highway...

Tests have to be done in exactly same conditions for every car, so they probably do it somewhere specific, then average results based on weather conditions. Tests are mandated so they can be repeated, and 10 out of 10 times, they have to show same results...

My SE-L auto is still averaging 28 mpg...sorry :) :) :) :) :whistling:

If anyone is interested the official fuel consumption figures are based on the following:

FUEL CONSUMPTION TEST (Directive 80/1268/EEC as amended by 2004/3/EC)

The new test has been agreed internationally and provides results that are more representative of actual average on-road fuel consumption than previous tests. There are two parts: an urban and an extra-urban cycle. The test cycle is the same as that used to determine the official exhaust emission classification for the model of vehicle in question.

The cars tested have to be run in and must have been driven for at least 1,800 miles (3,000 kilometres) before testing.

Urban cycle

The urban test cycle is carried out in a laboratory at an ambient temperature of 20°C to 30°C on a rolling road from a cold start, i.e. the engine has not run for several hours. The cycle consists of a series of accelerations, steady speeds, decelerations and idling. Maximum speed is 31 mph (50 km/h), average speed 12 mph (19 km/h) and the distance covered is 2.5 miles (4 km). The cycle is shown as Part One in the diagram below.

Extra-urban cycle

This cycle is conducted immediately following the urban cycle and consists of roughly half steady-speed driving and the remainder accelerations, decelerations, and some idling. Maximum speed is 75 mph (120 km/h), average speed is 39 mph (63 km/h) and the distance covered is 4.3 miles (7 km). The cycle is shown as Part Two in the diagram below.

Combined Fuel Consumption Figure

The combined figure presented is for the urban and the extra-urban cycle together. It is therefore an average of the two parts of the test, weighted by the distances covered in each part.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links