Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Advice?

hey guys, im new on here and this is my first post. Well Hello :)

im buying an IS200 SPORT model on saturday and was just wondering what advice you all can give me to look out for? any common problems etc. its a 2001 model with 51k on the clock and full lexus s/h... Cheers!

Just one more thing lads, ive seen this one and it looks mint. just worried about the red stuff on top of the manifold would anyone know what this is?is it normal??cheers

does the engine bay look ok??

100_0493.jpg

im buying an IS200 SPORT model on saturday and was just wondering what advice you all can give me to look out for? any common problems etc. its a 2001 model with 51k on the clock and full lexus s/h... Cheers!

I'm also new here,seanf.

I just sold my is200, same age.. 2001. Had no probs at all with it, so u should have yourself a good car there. Like the others say, think they had an issue with some alloy corrosion - they changed mine under warranty, no quibble. Other than that - 60k of problem free motoring. :whistling:

Ive just come across from Type R Hondas owning the Civic, Accord and an import DC5 all amazing cars but for sheer luxury, ease of use and problem free driving the lexus beats them all hands down, i dont even miss the performance, although the IS200 is nippy and handles amazingly well for a heavy saloon and as for the rear wheel drive it can be a real hoot in the right conditions.

The only negative i can think of is the thirst, £50 of petrol circa 320 miles (ish) my 300bhp DC5 used to take £40 and i could see 300 miles out of a tank and that was a 2l with a turbo :blink:

I havent looked back and am planning on purchasing the IS250 or IS220 in the next couple of years :blush:

I still to this day dont understand how the IS drinks so much fuel unless it enjoys p!ssing it away on the roads.

DC5 nice car. Civic type R is part of the chav uniform. Ugly things.

Welcome

Ive just come across from Type R Hondas owning the Civic, Accord and an import DC5 all amazing cars but for sheer luxury, ease of use and problem free driving the lexus beats them all hands down, i dont even miss the performance, although the IS200 is nippy and handles amazingly well for a heavy saloon and as for the rear wheel drive it can be a real hoot in the right conditions.

The only negative i can think of is the thirst, £50 of petrol circa 320 miles (ish) my 300bhp DC5 used to take £40 and i could see 300 miles out of a tank and that was a 2l with a turbo :blink:

I havent looked back and am planning on purchasing the IS250 or IS220 in the next couple of years :blush:

Welcome to LOC :D

Buy a Tezza or an IS300 and the Type R performance is there already :D

MOrning Sean, I have only been a Lexus 200 (se) user for 3 weeks and I love it. Yes it is a bit thirsty but hey, you can't have everything.

I got my car from a Lexus dealer, and it had, had a RAC 180 point check, before I collected it.

However on getting it home I decided to load the CD player with CD's ( waiting for the green light etc), it was when putting the 4th CD in that the problem started. The player started making a scrapping noise, so I tried to eject it, although on the screen it said it had ejected , it hadn't this was the same with CD 3 and 2, it did eject the 1st CD, but then the ERR3 message appeared.

Lucky for me the car had a full warrenty so the dealers have removed it and it's currently being sorted. However I understand that it could be very expensive if not under warrenty, and it seems from reading the forums that its a common fault, so if you are buying private, ask the guy to load the CD player with 6 CD's, and then eject them. Then atleast you wont get the nasty suprise when you get home.

:)

MOrning Sean, I have only been a Lexus 200 (se) user for 3 weeks and I love it. Yes it is a bit thirsty but hey, you can't have everything.

I got my car from a Lexus dealer, and it had, had a RAC 180 point check, before I collected it.

However on getting it home I decided to load the CD player with CD's ( waiting for the green light etc), it was when putting the 4th CD in that the problem started. The player started making a scrapping noise, so I tried to eject it, although on the screen it said it had ejected , it hadn't this was the same with CD 3 and 2, it did eject the 1st CD, but then the ERR3 message appeared.

Lucky for me the car had a full warrenty so the dealers have removed it and it's currently being sorted. However I understand that it could be very expensive if not under warrenty, and it seems from reading the forums that its a common fault, so if you are buying private, ask the guy to load the CD player with 6 CD's, and then eject them. Then atleast you wont get the nasty suprise when you get home.

:)

If its a 2001 you should be OK on the CD. Just check if the CD slot is over the tape slot and then you will know it's the newer unit without the problems.

I still to this day dont understand how the IS drinks so much fuel unless it enjoys p!ssing it away on the roads.

Welcome

The IS is a very heavy car, so power to weight ratio is not brill. But my mums Omega 2litre is not any better and is far slower than mine.

If its a 2001 you should be OK on the CD. Just check if the CD slot is over the tape slot and then you will know it's the newer unit without the problems.

Obviously not so, as mine is above the cassette !:blink:

Just one more thing lads, ive seen this one and it looks mint. just worried about the red stuff on top of the manifold would anyone know what this is?is it normal??cheers

does the engine bay look ok??

100_0493.jpg

It looks like the sort of dust you'd find in a sprayshop !, it's also on the hose on the right hand side :blink: and possibly on the top of the Battery. Just my thoughts

Welcome

The IS is a very heavy car, so power to weight ratio is not brill. But my mums Omega 2litre is not any better and is far slower than mine.

Time to start chucking out the spare wheel then. What other unnecessary stuff is there?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links