Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Two New Tyres - Switch Them Round?

The other good news (see other thread) from my service today is that I need two new tyres on the front. The rears I bought last year and have done about 7k.

Is it a good idea to put the new ones on the rear (i.e. drive) wheels and switch the others to the front?

Any advice very welcome!

Thanks

Chris

In my experience if the car is properly set up, alignment, pressures etc, and the car is driven properly ie used but not thrashed, the rear tyres wear fastest.

Therefore personally, I would put the new ones on the rear, let them wear naturally together and they should all need replacing later as a set, but you as the present owner will get the best benefit from them.

Regards,

Chris Vince

I used to work on the basis that I'd rather have new rubber on the front since, if a blowout were to occur, then better the back than the front. However, this logic has never been tested since (touch wood) I've never had a blowout.

These days, tyre rules mean they have to be changed before they get too worn, so I don't bother now.

IanB :D

I used to work on the basis that I'd rather have new rubber on the front since, if a blowout were to occur, then better the back than the front. However, this logic has never been tested since (touch wood) I've never had a blowout.

These days, tyre rules mean they have to be changed before they get too worn, so I don't bother now.

IanB :D

ah...the magic of Citroen suspension meant that a blow-out happened.....no change! You just steered to the side at leisure as the suspension levelled the car! You could actually drive with one wheel in the air! Spooky!

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!

So, I make that one vote for the front wheels, one for the rear, one for whichever is going to get a blowout, and one for getting a Citroen instead . . .

Now where's that coin?

:D

The industry demands the new tyres are moved to the 'rear'..... reason

1: new tyres fitted to the front could promote 'over steer'

2: Most puncture's occur on the rear so deeper tread might belay penetration.

3: The worst position to have a blow out is the rear......? reason is you have no opportunity to directly steer the car.

4: Oh there is no four?.... at the end of the day the position is what you desire and how you could cope with any eventuality's.

And it's a late swing to the rear - so that's where they are going!

Thanks all.

Chris

keep us up-dated? tell us all what you think and feel about the positions, remember there is no absolute law so many here would value your findings!

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!

So, I make that one vote for the front wheels, one for the rear, one for whichever is going to get a blowout, and one for getting a Citroen instead . . .

Now where's that coin?

:D

I think it's a DICE you need? Four sided coin? :D

Easy solution is to buy two more........ :D

Ok lets look at this logically......... Pro's and Con's

Put them on the back...... more grip and safer--------- Will wear out faster so you will probably have the cost of replacing the four next time

Put them on the front ...... better turn in especially on a front heavy car----------- Less grip on the back, lead to oversteer ( but that can be fun, depending on the driver)

Your decision, personally i always put news tyres on the Drive wheels..... :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links