Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dvd On The Move

I have just ordered an IS250 Sport with the Multimedia upgrade, which looks fantastic. Never had a Jap car before, only ever bought German (VW, Audi) with a breif flirtation with Fiat (Very bad move). Looking forward to the new experience. I was so blown away with the looks and specification of the car that I simply had to have one! :offtopic:

GET ON WITH YOUR QUESTION!!!!!!!!! :crybaby:

Does anyone know of a mod to allow me to play DVD's while on the move. I have read a few posts on this topic but have not read any definitive answers.

Hope someone can help.

B)

I have just ordered an IS250 Sport with the Multimedia upgrade, which looks fantastic. Never had a Jap car before, only ever bought German (VW, Audi) with a breif flirtation with Fiat (Very bad move). Looking forward to the new experience. I was so blown away with the looks and specification of the car that I simply had to have one! :offtopic:

Does anyone know of a mod to allow me to play DVD's while on the move. I have read a few posts on this topic but have not read any definitive answers.

Hope someone can help.

B)

Just don't let the rozzers ever see it methinks :)

If it is this easy, why don't Lexus make the unit so that this is a normal way to use the unit. Does it knock off the sat nav or something. Or is it illegal or something to have a working DVD player on while the car is moving?

Its a safety feature and i think it is illegal to have dvd in the drivers view whilst in motion usually its earthing a wire thats taken off the handbrake that makes the dvd operate full time.

Will say though that most dvd kits come with a lead to put on the handbrake so it must be a legislation somewhere

It is Law, here and in the states.

And for good reason.

Sorry to sound alarmist, but I reckon you'd get banged up if you knocked someone over! Whether you were watching it or not...

PC Plod would take a dim view if the feature was bypassed and he got to know about it. Put it this way, how many people think driving with a hand held is bad? How many do it...?

And for good reason.

Sorry to sound alarmist, but I reckon you'd get banged up if you knocked someone over! Whether you were watching it or not...

PC Plod would take a dim view if the feature was bypassed and he got to know about it. Put it this way, how many people think driving with a hand held is bad? How many do it...?

It is an offence for the driver to be able to see the screen, hence it's OK for them to be in the headrests for rear passengers.

There was a case in Coventry recently where the guy was fined £80 for watching The Invisible Man. He'd already been caught once and had to pay a £30 on the spot fine. He didn't get any points though. :unsure:

As for driving with a mobile in your hand, seems most London Taxi & Bus drivers do it, hence it must be OK. ;)

And for good reason.

It is an offence for the driver to be able to see the screen, hence it's OK for them to be in the headrests for rear passengers.

There was a case in Coventry recently where the guy was fined £80 for watching The Invisible Man. He'd already been caught once and had to pay a £30 on the spot fine. He didn't get any points though. :unsure:

As for driving with a mobile in your hand, seems most London Taxi & Bus drivers do it, hence it must be OK. ;)

if he was watching the invisible man how did the police see it :blink: :D

Hi,

On the subject of DVDs - has anybody worked out how to make the DVD player multi-regional? Mine seems to be locked to Region 2 :o

Seem to have problems playing MP3's directly from DVD - do they have to be in a specific format?

Cheers

Hi,

On the subject of DVDs - has anybody worked out how to make the DVD player multi-regional? Mine seems to be locked to Region 2 :o

Seem to have problems playing MP3's directly from DVD - do they have to be in a specific format?

Cheers

Hmmm.... good one, need to find out who makes them.... Research hat on--->

Hi,

Cheers

Think I've found something, but it'll have to wait until I get my 220 on Friday before I can test it.

MP3's are awful through the ML Sound system anyway.

You can hear all the compression artifacts at 192kbps. Using a higher bit rate might remove some of this but then whats the point.

Actually whats the point of paying for top end hifi and putting an mp3 through it???

MP3's are awful through the ML Sound system anyway.

You can hear all the compression artifacts at 192kbps. Using a higher bit rate might remove some of this but then whats the point.

Actually whats the point of paying for top end hifi and putting an mp3 through it???

Hi

I agree with the above - MP3's are awful.

I spoke with my dealer(TWells) regarding the DVD. He said its possible to do, but Lexus doesnt recommend this due to safety issues. I said to him that there is a guide on how to do it, he said Lexus doesnt recommend and hence the dealers wont do it. Also, if something goes wrong with your MM, you are not covered under Lexus warranty! The risk is yours.....

Javeed

I did try burning a cd of mp3.

Ignoring the sound I also wasn't very impressed with the interface.

All that screen real estate and they dont list every track (full name) in a small font on the screen at once.

I play MP3's on CD's, and unless you're a serial audiophile, it'll be fine. The DVD's don't play, as the system is designed to play "DVD Audio", which is better. I believe this is no compression so you don't lose any of the digital data.

Ain't tried that yet...

Thanks for the feedback re: MP3s. I have got an Ipod, just haven't bought the cables yet.

Javeed - I can't see how making the DVD player multi-regional voids the warranty so I assume you're refereing to the "one the move" mod.

btw - just changed to Lexus after 7 years with Mercedes. In a word "chuffed!"

PeeAyre. The iPod (MP3) connection works well and fairly easy cable to get off most audio electronics stores. The only thing is that it is the iPod/MP3 player playing the music. Hopefully ML will make changes in next IS release to add a connection (e.g. mini USB) to external media and play by their system.

As for MP3 on DVDs, have tried to do it and not been successful. Went to ML themselves and they were investigating, but haven't got back to me. They did respond about watching DVDs while moving was a safety thing that they had to implement.

Playing Music DVDs, as you would expect, are no issue. They are, after all, DVDs and not MP3 sound.

I play MP3's on CD's, and unless you're a serial audiophile, it'll be fine. The DVD's don't play, as the system is designed to play "DVD Audio", which is better. I believe this is no compression so you don't lose any of the digital data.

Ain't tried that yet...

I think DVD Audio is Multi channel and Higher bitrate than CD's so should sound fantastic on the ML. Not as high as SACD though

Ain't tried that yet...

Thanks for the feedback re: MP3s. I have got an Ipod, just haven't bought the cables yet.

Javeed - I can't see how making the DVD player multi-regional voids the warranty so I assume you're refereing to the "one the move" mod.

PeeAyre - Sorry, I should have made it more clear, I was referring to "on the move" mode.

Javeed

Why do some manufacturers link the video to the handbrake? In mercs it only responds to speed, so in a traffic jam, it becomes more useful

If its legal in mercs, surely it would be legal for everyone else as well ;)

Hope someone can help.

B)

The problem is there are enough prats driving around using a hand held mobile phone, oblivious to what's going on around them. There would bound to be some idiot who would think it was ok to drive around while watching the DVD at the same time. To be honest anyone that stupid should just have their license taken off them for good.

The problem is there are enough prats driving around using a hand held mobile phone, oblivious to what's going on around them. There would bound to be some idiot who would think it was ok to drive around while watching the DVD at the same time. To be honest anyone that stupid should just have their license taken off them for good.

I second that..

I keep thinking of borrowing the company van and delibrately causing the next t****r I see talking into a mobile phone whilst driving to collide with me; extreme I know, but it really annoys the s**t out of me!

I think it's my pet hate :angry:

There is no excuse, most mobiles come with a basic earpiece these days, and you can pick up simple hands free kits from petrol stations for about a tenner.

Ain't tried that yet...

PeeAyre - Sorry, I should have made it more clear, I was referring to "on the move" mode.

Javeed

Hey - No probs!

If you have enough capacity on your iPod then you can always copy them over using the apple lossless format, that way you save space (50% I think) without losing quality - better than mp3 or aac.

I have imported my music collection into iTunes as lossless and aac. I put the lossless on my 20gb and the aac on my shuffle. The shuffle is for the gym and the 20gb for the car.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links