Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Heated Seats

Donk

Just a small item, when you read thr owners manual there is not much detail surrounding the seat heaters, just an 'on or off' type statement.

They get nice and toasty but then seem to wane away even though they are still on, so do they lower their temperature, am I getting used to the heat or do they have some sort of thermostatic switch which triggers?

Hmm, it's annoying, isn't it? They do seem to have a thermostat - they get hot, go out, then come back on when the seat gets cool. Not very good in my humble opinion, definitely caused by a thermostat, methinks.

I've only had my V reg IS200 a few weeks, I am well pleased with it apart from the climate control which doesn't do the best job of regulating the temperature (either too hot or too cold), and the seat heaters.

I had a Golf GTi before, the seat heaters kept a constant temperature, which could be adjusted. And the climate control did not have to keep being adjusted to maintain a comfy temperature.

If I can only ever think of these two things to moan about that's not too bad, apart from the the cars a good 'un.

I was wondering if mine had a dicky thermostat, but now I'm not so sure, I think it's bad thermostat design.

Have fun..

Paul

Mine is also a 99 V reg , which coincidentally I have had for a matter of weeks. Most of those weeks it was in a crash repair centre having spun on some diesel spillage and made good friends with an Armco barrier on the motorway (The police had a job wrenching it out with the Isuzu)

My climate works great, mind you I did have the whole lot re-gassed as part of the repairs, I haven't even had to use the air con yet. I don;t mind about the seats cos by the time it gets really hot I want to switch it off anyway.

Pity its not a graduated switch, I spend alot of time in an M3(my boss) and those have a 3 position switch and stays hot!

I've never had any issue with the climate control, I've also used VW's, Vauxhalls and Mercs with Climate control and I think the Lexus is as good as any other (the Vauxhall was terrible). I hardly ever adjust it.

I agree about the heated seats though. I think they have been chaged slightly in the later models, they don't get as hot in the first instance. What I find annoying is that 10 minutes after you had switched them on they suddenly get really hot again.

:hohoho: Mine is a March 2002 IS 200 SE and i must agree that the heated seats are terrible. They come on and get warm and then go off to get cold before coming back on aarrgghh!!

Also can anyone confirm whether it is just the seat base that is heated or is the backrest aslo supposed to be heated - mine isn't.

I have just been in a BMW 318 with heated seats which are much better than the Lexus ones as they:

Are heated in the base and backrest

They maintain the heat constantly

They have 3 stage heat adjustment

Please take note Lexus!! :withstupid:

well i have had the pleasure of an IS200 all afternoon

noticed my backside was hot... man.. i thought these seats are hot to sit in then realised they were heated.

Turned them off because too hot!

Hi again,

I think from what you guys are saying the seat heaters seem to do the same thing in most cases. I may speak to my dealer when I go in next - the fact that they get very hot, go off for 5 or 10 mins then try to cook me again is starting to niggle me - Boy, do I miss my 5-setting ones in the Golf.

Sounds as well like maybe my aircon is a bit dicky - To clarify from earlier, I can have it set at say 21 degs, lovely and chomfy, then all of a sudden it's uncomfortably cold. Turn it up to about 24 before I can get toasty. Ten minutes later it suddenly gets really hot then I have to turn it right down etc etc. Seems to use the face vent to regulate the temperature a bit too much on auto as well, I reckon. Pretty sure it's gassed OK, perhaps the temp sensors are rubbered - that's another one for the dealer then. Bah!

Have a good one..

Paul

PS - Yone - Never thought about the poor spermatazoa. Good call though, apparently a warm toyshop doesn't do them any good. Anyone launched a court action against a car maker yet cos of the heated seats? ;-)

Sounds as well like maybe my aircon is a bit dicky - To clarify from earlier, I can have it set at say 21 degs, lovely and chomfy, then all of a sudden it's uncomfortably cold. Turn it up to about 24 before I can get toasty. Ten minutes later it suddenly gets really hot then I have to turn it right down etc etc. Seems to use the face vent to regulate the temperature a bit too much on auto as well, I reckon. Pretty sure it's gassed OK, perhaps the temp sensors are rubbered - that's another one for the dealer then. Bah!

From my experience its only cold air that is blown from the face vents, when it wants to heat the car they are not used.

I know its stating the obvious but have you tried setting it inbetween 21 and 24 rather than jumping from one to the other? In mine 24 is very warm and 21 is quite cool, 22 (23 if I'm feeling cold) is about right. You also have to give it a chance to stabalise the temperature.

Yep, gradual changes don't seem to have an effect - I've tried it and left it for 5 mins or so, but still seem to end up having to jump it up or down a few degrees. Definitely strange - On thinking about it, that's a fair point about the face vents though. You saying that reminded me that my old Rover 827 was the same. Please don't take the mick that I used to own a Rover 827 by the way - we all make mistakes!!

Ah, well, perhaps i'll give it a bit longer, and play around with it some more - thanks for your thoughts..

P

You saying that reminded me that my old Rover 827 was the same. Please don't take the mick that I used to own a Rover 827 by the way - we all make mistakes!!

Don't worry, my previous car was a Vectra...

I always think taking the car to the dealer to have them check it out costs nothing, so don't hesitate to take it in.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links