Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Err3 Error Message On Our Stereos. There May Be Another Way.

Well 2 weeks ago I bought a 1999 Lexus IS200 and today I get the ERR3 message.

I searched this site for info, other than a lot of jiggling, the only solution seems to be replacement at the Lexus dealer (££££€€€€).

There is another way.

I have an NSX and on that site (NSXPrime.com) everybody uses:

http://www.carstereohelp.com/lexus.htm

for repairs. $275 is a lot cheaper than £350. If nobody has any other ideas, I’ll post my stereo to them.

First I’m going to phone them tonight to ask if they can guarantee their work (so do they permanently fix the problem…)

I’ll keep you posted.

Peter

Ok, I just phoned them, they say they have 3 being repaired just now. All the same problem CD ERR3.

I asked if they just repair with normal Lexus parts so we can expect the problem to reoccur.

They said no, the problem won’t reoccur because they actually upgrade the parts inside there. Not just replace.

They don’t have any cores, so I must post mine and I get mine back. They will send any CDs that are stuck in there back.

costs $275 (+/- £150, €225), takes a week or two.

They say wrap it up well in Styrofoam and put in a box and tape it up really well like a mummy. Put on the shipping documents “defective for repair, £/$0 value”.

They ship it back in the Post (cheaper but slower), that’s ok for you in the UK because your Post actually functions, but the Belgian Post looses everything, so I never trust them, I will have it shipped by TNT or something.

Peter

Well 2 weeks ago I bought a 1999 Lexus IS200 and today I get the ERR3 message.

I searched this site for info, other than a lot of jiggling, the only solution seems to be replacement at the Lexus dealer (££££€€€€).

There is another way.

I have an NSX and on that site (NSXPrime.com) everybody uses:

http://www.carstereohelp.com/lexus.htm

for repairs. $275 is a lot cheaper than £350. If nobody has any other ideas, I’ll post my stereo to them.

First I’m going to phone them tonight to ask if they can guarantee their work (so do they permanently fix the problem…)

I’ll keep you posted.

Peter

Thanks for the info 710, quite a number of our french and belgian club members are having the problem on 1999/2000 IS. That is a quite usefull address we will use right away.

We'll keep you posted of any results.

Well even though I did a lot of searching before I posted I didn’t actually see the post about Autosound in the UK until now.

http://www.autosound.co.uk/contact.cfm

So while I was speaking to them, I asked what it is they actually do.

He says the CD moving mechanism is defectively designed and they get newer generation ones (not the same old ones) from Germany (Fujitsu or something). It’s the whole new carriage mechanism they change; I assume the US guys do that too.

Autosound in the UK. 270+vat = £317.25.

I would like to find the supplier of these parts because just shipping it to the UK or the USA will cost me about £60 each way…

But he would not tell me the name of the supplier in Germany.

Here I go. If I find it. I’ll let you know because I’ll bet we could do it ourselves…

Peter

does anybody know if the radio is a Pioneer or Nakamichi or...? (i haven't taken mine out yet.)

(year 1999. IS200 6 cyl)

:offtopic: on a tangent, people who have had their machines err3 on them, are they usally using CDrw or have used CDrw 's

just hae a theory

Yes, for two weeks it worked fine, the previous owner said that too (he would). Then I put a self made CD in and it gave the error and jammed.

But then the next day I was able to get the self made one out and it has worked fine (with bought CDs).

Until now.

So I think you are partially right. A CD RW will give the error. Then it “gets better” and plays normal CDs again.

Then, because of other reasons, probably wear, the whole thing goes to hell. My car has 140,000km on (87,500 miles).

Another problem, the CD player is really sensitive to bumps, much too sensitive.

Does the newer model radio (the one with the CD slot at the top) work better when on a slightly bumpy road? Did they improve that too, or is it the same as mine (CD slot lower down)?

Has anyone had theirs repaired?

Is their repaired one better on a slightly bumpy road?

Peter

Update:

Thanks Star a.

The guy in the US just told me the new “CD mechanism” they install is a newer one that isn’t so sensitive to bumps (and of course won’t jam or give errors).

Supposedly it’s the same mechanism as the one in the radio with the CD slot at the top, but I’m not sure because when I asked him, he just said “ya”.

He said the head unit is a Pioneer. The speakers (and amps?) are Nakamichi. If I got it right…

So he said to contact a supplier of parts in Germany that supplies Pioneer/Nakamichi OEM parts, give them the number of the radio on the back, and they can cross reference the CD mechanism if I don’t have a drawing/manual (which I don’t).

Then we can order and install them ourselves, save big on shipping and labour. It’s a mechanical install, not electronic (no soldering etc).

So next week when Germany is open, I’ll try to track down a supplier there and see if that info is correct.

I’m new to this forum (had car for 2 weeks), why hasn’t all this been done before if everybody’s CD is broken?

Peter

Hi 710 I have just had mine repaired by Autosounds, they are in Bradford (west Yorkshire) and thats where all the Lexus dealers (in the UK) send the stereos for repair, atleast according to my Lexus dealer who were paying for the repair. (warranty) also worth saying mine had the slot at the top!

They said they have completely replaced the internals, although due to volume of work it did take the 5½ weeks.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links