Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Braking News

Mike246

My '97 GS is coming up to 100k and yet again the front disks are warped and need replacing.

This will be the fifth set. The amazing thing is that they are enormous and look like they came off an aircraft so why they warp who knows? And I've been pedantic about wheel torque.

Any suggestions other than replacing the disks and pads? Skimming? Non-Lexus souce?

My '97 GS is coming up to 100k and yet again the front disks are warped and need replacing.

This will be the fifth set. The amazing thing is that they are enormous and look like they came off an aircraft so why they warp who knows? And I've been pedantic about wheel torque.

Any suggestions other than replacing the disks and pads? Skimming? Non-Lexus souce?

At the risk of a rude response...... :tomato: could it be your driving style? My lady manager driving a Citroen AX warped the discs, I think because she always , for example, rushed up to lights the jammed on the brakes, rather than slowing up gradually.

The GS is a big car, (with big discs) so heat from brakes must be more too? It's weight equals heat in this equation, which warps the metal.

Chris,

Thanks for the response. I do drive the car sensibly and the boy-racer days are definitely over! I am aware that the parking brake never gets engaged at traffic-lights as it is foot-operated (no excuse really, it could still be used). Therefore all the heat from the pads dissipates on to the disk.

Kevin, the ex-Service Manager at Lexus Hatfield always said one sets of front disks on every alternate pad change.

Any other comments welcome.

5 sets of discs sounds over the top. If that's been done at Lexus dealers, your wallet must be pretty empty!

Have a read of this.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

Bottom line is, uneven deposits on brake disc lead to vibration. The disc itself doesn't warp. The article says that's a myth! You should be changing a disc when it's worn. Modern pads are asbestos free, and are pretty hard on discs. You might want to try EBC Greenstuff pads, as these are supposed to be easier on discs than other brands, plus you get less dust and squeal too.

Vibration and juddering can This can be avoided by bedding in the discs and pads properly. Several folks recommend a series of stops from 60-80mph down to 5mph when you first get new discs. This ensures an even transfer of material from pad to disc.

Oh another thing. Generally, if I'm stopped for more than a few moments, than I will usually put the car in P, so I don't have my pads squeezing a hot brake disc!!! Putting the car into P has become habit now, and I'm sure it's extending the life of my discs!!!

Chris,

Kevin, the ex-Service Manager at Lexus Hatfield always said one sets of front disks on every alternate pad change.

Well, they would say that wouldn't they? They want to make cash out of the customers. Like I said, discs should be replaced when they are worn down. When I used have my car serviced by Lexus, they would recommend the brake pads being replaced even though there was 40% left on the pads. Again, a money making scheme.

well i am doing my discs and pads all round soon and will be using EBC grooved discs front and rear and redstuff pads (unless someone has a better recommendation)

Not worth skimping on the stopping as you want to keep the car in one piece

Mines a GS as well and it works out about £500 ish for the full replacement. As for skimming the discs if they are warped then there will have to be alot of material off them to get them flat so it might not be feasable. also if they are near to being replaced the cost and inconvenience of skimming them may not offset against getting some new ones. Off the top off my head when i did it i always skimmed 0.010" off the discs not sure but i think its pretty universal.

I go through on average 1 set of disc's a year due to warping, different type of pads and different makes of discs make no difference, this time, I've got drilled and grooved, bed'd them in and then hammered the braking to heat the disc's up, and then had them skimmed, once discs have been reheated, they don't warp again, (so I've been Advised By a Local Garage), will let you know in about 6 months as they've been on for this length of time so far,

I am having similar probelms with my mark 2. I have spent quite a few quid replacing suspension components which were knackered. Shocks, shock top mounts, suspension links and antistab bushes. The car drives significantly better but I still get vibration under braking on recent new Lexus discs and pads. I have had new calipers fitted as the others were seizing up, but when I rotate the wheels, when jacked up, I can here the dics rubbing the pads 'unevenly'!! I recheck the torque and sequence but they still rub unevenly. I have read the link on this site that dispels the myth of warped discs and it could be pad material bonded to the disc. Before I go and change the discs again, has anybody had problems with the hubs on these cars? Mine are slightly corroded but were cleaned before I fitted the new discs last time. But if the discs are not fitting correctly they would give the impression of warped discs??

Any comment would be appreciated.

Regs

Mike

I go through on average 1 set of disc's a year due to warping, different type of pads and different makes of discs make no difference, this time, I've got drilled and grooved, bed'd them in and then hammered the braking to heat the disc's up, and then had them skimmed, once discs have been reheated, they don't warp again, (so I've been Advised By a Local Garage), will let you know in about 6 months as they've been on for this length of time so far,

I can sympathise. My mechanic told me that my front disks were warped as I could feel vibration when applying the brakes (particularly from 80 to 60). So I replaced them. Guess what happens next?

I can still feel the vibration, although not as bad as before. He now tells me that the back disks and pads need replacing.

Could it be that I have already warped the disks, noting that I am quite gentle with the car, or the back disks do need replacing too???

really confused or really ripped off??? Help??

The fact that you are quite gentle with the car probably hasn't helped. Drive down an empty road, and get up to 60mph and slam the brakes down to 5mph. Do this 4 or 5 times, and let us know if the vibration is still there. I had vibration and juddering from my brakes as they were brand new all round when I bought the car. I bedded in the brakes, and they are fine now.

There might be some wear and tear in related components, i.e. upper control arms, lower control arms/balljoints, motor mounts. So when braking from higher speeds, it's causing problems.

• 4 weeks later...
The fact that you are quite gentle with the car probably hasn't helped. Drive down an empty road, and get up to 60mph and slam the brakes down to 5mph. Do this 4 or 5 times, and let us know if the vibration is still there. I had vibration and juddering from my brakes as they were brand new all round when I bought the car. I bedded in the brakes, and they are fine now.

There might be some wear and tear in related components, i.e. upper control arms, lower control arms/balljoints, motor mounts. So when braking from higher speeds, it's causing problems.

Had new front discs fitted by KwikFit Nuneaton as discs were worn,not warped. Cost less than half of lexus price and are guaranteed. Had only had new pads 12 months but they were replaced FOC under KwikFit lifetime guarantee so only had to pay for discs.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links