Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200se (2001) Wander

MarkF

I have been experiencing a general feeling of instability mostly at the rear of the car. The car becomes

easily unsettled by poor road surfaces (even cats eyes sometimes). The problem is more noticeable when

carrying loads (20-30 kg) in the boot. Under braking or hard acceleration the car wanders from side to side.

I have replaced all 4 tyres and had 4 wheel alignments twice a few 000 miles apart. On both

occasions large adjustments were required. The car still doesn't feel right and I need to know if this is an

isolated problem or are others having similar problems.

its in the title mate

IS200 SE (01)

Oh yeah..... :duh: :whistling:

I think there has been a post about this in the past - the IS is renowned to snake and not handle particularly well in the rain etc.

But in terms of the car moving from side to side whilst braking and lkarge adjustments required for alignment, I would get it checked out bu a dealer personally...

The IS is sensitive to tyre choice. I had problems mixing different makes between front and rear and I've seen posts from a couple of people saying the handling is twitchy when they have khumo tyres all round.

What make of tyre do you have fitted?

the IS is renowned to snake and not handle particularly well in the rain etc.

Hmm, I don't think I'd agree with that but it is susceptible to tyres and alignment - who's been doing the geometry check? dealer or independent?

Mine tramlines unbelievably at the moment (needs new fronts) but otherwise handling and grip are excellent.

NotoriousRev (I think) had similar stability issues but I don't know if he found an answer (apart from buying an Impreza :o )

Mine tramlines unbelievably at the moment (needs new fronts) but otherwise handling and grip are excellent.

Tram lining - thats the word I was looking for yesterday.... <_<

Mine does that too - mind you, all my tyres are wearing low at the moment... time for new tyres.... :unsure:

Nah - New 18's me thinks........ :whistling::yahoo:

I now have Dunlop on the rear and Bridgestones on the front. The alignment was done by

2 different independent tyre places. All the tyres are new (fitted Dec02).

The dealer mentioned that there is a toe adjustment on the rear. I'm not sure if this is

fairly unusual so could have been missed by a non-Lexus familiar tyre fitter. I went independent

as it was much cheaper than a dealer but that may be my best option.

I went independent

This could be the answer.

Most tyre places will just do a tracking check on the fronts ...

Using optiline guages or similar ...

Dealer should have a full 4 wheel alignment rig ...

These cost 10's of thousands and a check up is usually therefore more expensive.

You should get a printed report of toe, camber, thrust etc angles before and after adjustment.

Should also show the acceptable tolerances ...

Last time i had this done on my IS, it only cost 25quid and transformed the car.

That was while they were doing the 10k service.

Having it done again at the 20k in a couple of weeks ...

I went independent

This could be the answer.

Most tyre places will just do a tracking check on the fronts ...

Using optiline guages or similar ...

Dealer should have a full 4 wheel alignment rig ...

These cost 10's of thousands and a check up is usually therefore more expensive.

You should get a printed report of toe, camber, thrust etc angles before and after adjustment.

Should also show the acceptable tolerances ...

Last time i had this done on my IS, it only cost 25quid and transformed the car.

hmmmmmmmmmmm.....

If I remember correctly, my dealer wanted £65 plus VAT for alignment and I'm not even sure they have this setup? :unsure:

I need to find somewhere local that has a decent rig - especially concerned what with new wheels on the way - last thing I need is uneven wear and poor road handling...... <_<

Thanks for the advice Tony! :D Is laser alignment not adequate or is that just for front wheels too? :blink:

Zee,

We do have a full 4 wheel alignment kit(assuming you are referring to us). The specified labour time by Lexus is 1.2hrs. The check is included on your major services and you are then charged for any adjustments that are made. It seems that wide low profile tyres coupled with multilink suspension doesn't need to be far out of spec to wear edges. It is easiest to check on a regular basis if you have the front wheels on full lock. Worth doing from time to time. The difference is most obvious when you compare the SE/Sport with the S which is far less sensitive to uneven wear as it's tyres have a far more rounded profile and more give in the sidewall.

i agree Nick........

i have my alignment checked every 6 months........better to be on the safe side, as ive noticed the front comes out of alignment very easy and ive had to get the rear sorted once wich on one side was out by nearly 2 degrees at the last check............no wonder the car was kinda skitty in bends

Zee,

We do have a full 4 wheel alignment kit(assuming you are referring to us). The specified labour time by Lexus is 1.2hrs. The check is included on your major services and you are then charged for any adjustments that are made. It seems that wide low profile tyres coupled with multilink suspension doesn't need to be far out of spec to wear edges. It is easiest to check on a regular basis if you have the front wheels on full lock. Worth doing from time to time. The difference is most obvious when you compare the SE/Sport with the S which is far less sensitive to uneven wear as it's tyres have a far more rounded profile and more give in the sidewall.

Excellent news Nick - any chance you could squeeze me in Thursday late afternoon or Friday morning then???? :D Get the new wheels at 3pm on Thursday........ ;)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links