Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Laptop Processor?

Anduril

I need to buy a laptop that will not only do the everyday stuff but will play multimedia successfully. So, for example, run power point presentations with all the flashy transitions available and also play DVD, WMV and/or flash presentations (with both applications loaded at once). Question is, which processor should I go for?

Celeron M, Pentium M, Pentium Core Duo ... or one of the AMD stable?

Don't want to spend more than I have to, so while I don't need to buy the cheapest, if I can save £100 and still get the performance I require all to the good. I will ensure a minimum 512MB RAM as I am a great beliver in having enough memory ...

Go for a Intel Core Duo or Core 2 Duo based laptop with as much ram as you can get!

The AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile chip is also very good, being 64bit and Dual core, however according to reviews the Battery life is not fantastic (approx 3h vs almost 5h for the Intel)

Your powerpoint presentations, won't really tax the system too much, but its nice to have the extra power. :D

Good Luck :D

Just about any processor available will be able to cope with what you require.

I'd be more concerned about which OPERATNG SYSTEM to use.

The following link will show you not only a machine that can handle any multimedia you want without so much as breaking into a sweat - it can run any OS you like.

http://www.apple.com/uk/macbook/macbook.html

Why buy a Windows PC and limit yourself to Windows and all that virus fun?

Buy a Mac and run multiple OS. You can run any software you have already and enjoy the amazing virus-free Mac OS X and all the best-in-class bundled multimedia software that is iLife.

http://www.apple.com/uk/ilife/

Macs are the only hardware in the world on which you can run all Windows all Mac all Linux and Unix software.

Everything you need to know is here...

http://www.apple.com/getamac

It really is worth anyone's time doing some research before wasting dosh on limited Windows hardware.

Good luck.

There is no point buying a mac if you are only going to run Window on it. Works out too expensive by the time you have purchased a copy of XP etc. If you want to switch to a different OS then the Macbook is a nice machine if the 13" screen is big enough.

The Macbook would be able to do everyting you require however it will struggle with serious graphic requirements due to the on-board graphics controller.

If possible try and get a machine within your budget that has a dedicated graphics controller rather than on-board Intel graphics.

You assume he only wants to run Windows.

As soon as he sees what OS X can do Windows will be in the dustbin.

Everything he mentioned can be done with style in OS X so why use an old OS riddled with security holes?

(Who PURCHASES Windows XP these days????) :shutit:

The only thing the Macbook may struggle with is 3D games - for the reasons Colin gave.

If you want a gaming machine you have to spend more money...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links