Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Surely This Can't Be Right

xdeity

yeah i wasnt aware of the powerband on a vvti and wasn't looking at the revs. i just listen for the engine peaking and keep my eyes on the road. i have reset the ecu, doesn't seem to be any faster, but havn't tested it against a boy racer yet.

as i said, i am well aware of how to get the best out of a car, i have been trained to drive at high speed

Got to keep that engine spinning, you can actually feel the step in the engine when the revs hit that magic speed. If I want to go Chav baiting I take the Van, nothing pisses them off more than a VW Transporter with two sets of ladders on the roof and 230 horses up front

yeah i wasnt aware of the powerband on a vvti and wasn't looking at the revs. i just listen for the engine peaking and keep my eyes on the road. i have reset the ecu, doesn't seem to be any faster, but havn't tested it against a boy racer yet.

as i said, i am well aware of how to get the best out of a car, i have been trained to drive at high speed

Got to keep that engine spinning, you can actually feel the step in the engine when the revs hit that magic speed. If I want to go Chav baiting I take the Van, nothing pisses them off more than a VW Transporter with two sets of ladders on the roof and 230 horses up front

Lol, you don't need 'training' to drive at high speed, just experience (sp?) :)

Speed is just a matter of relativitely. Doing 100mph to me feels like a normal cruising speed.

Tortoise and Hare....that's what comes to mind.

From my experience the IS200 was average unless you thrashed it, then it was OK. The IS250 is similar - you have to keep the engine singing beyond the 4000 rom mark to get some good performance and you can feel the momentum. That's VVTi for you. It's the same on a Ford Focus 1.6 VCTi I had yesterday. It flew from 4000+ revs - before it was average...

The Corsa on the other hand is light, geared for the city, and has a low power to weight ratio.

I'm not too surprised - remember the corsa is well run in, and the owner probably wasn't too bothered about almost red lining it at take off, whilst you were probably caressing the pedal at mid revs before dropping the clutch (gently).

I beat a Lexus IS200 the other day comming onto a motorway. I drive a 1.6 VW Bora 'W Reg' with 74200 miles on the clock. The chav kept looking at me at the lights and was reving, so i booted mine away from lights and he could not catch me.

Despite i ended up doing 120mph before i couldnt see him. And 120mph is flat out in my car.

I beat a Lexus IS200 the other day comming onto a motorway. I drive a 1.6 VW Bora 'W Reg' with 74200 miles on the clock. The chav kept looking at me at the lights and was reving, so i booted mine away from lights and he could not catch me.

Despite i ended up doing 120mph before i couldnt see him. And 120mph is flat out in my car.

The Chav was driving the IS 200 :question:

Are you building up the revs before launching ?

If i'm in the mood for a quick launch i tend to put the car in 1st, keep the clutch in and build up the revs to around 3-3.5k and then floor it. Probably doesnt do my clutch and gearbox any good though. 2nd gear is good to around 50-60mph then there is a dip in power and the engine sounds rather loud. I have noticed that its about timing in the IS200 and correct gear selection to keep the engine on the boil, it really needs to be worked in standard mode.

It's right!!! :tomato:

I got beat from the line by what looked like a Peugeot 106 GTi... haven't seen many of these cars about, but it was seriously quick... Mind you, they start with 160bhp anyway. :yawn:

I've been beaten by so many cars, i don't bother to try anymore, i just "cruise" :D B)

Just for the record...

I've owned 2 106 gti's (absolutely fantastic cars). They come standard with a 1.6 16v 120bhp engine. And although the figures show 0-60 times of 7.8secs I've read about track days where people have acheived 6.6secs. I also owned a 306 gti-6 with standard 167bhp but the 106 was without doubt the faster car. The 106 gti won "top gear car of the year" in '98 and in a top gear show came 2nd in handling behind a ferrari 355 IIRC. If you are ever looking for a pocket rocket get one. awesome performance, rare and still look the part.

To be honest I wish I had kept the last one, I always look with envy everytime I see one. Don't get me wrong I'm totally happy with my IS200 for the purpose I bought it, and that ain't burning people off the line!!! Give up against the boy racers.. they will nearly always beat you!

Who really cares if he beat you

just think you are sitting in a car that has Luxury hardly any road noise inside the car

you only need the stereo on at mid volume to here the sound

you have climate control electric seats and heated for those winter mornings,

heated Mirrors maybe a heated front screen Air bags you never want to see

an Engine that will probably out last the car body which is a long time as it is galvanised and the Engine is usually just run in at 100k

and so many more things on the car

And then there is the Corsa well what can you say take the windows out and the noise sounds the same as if they were still in place, Too much road Noise Stereo that has to be on half way before you can here it

Seats that you are glad to get out of after 20 mins Heater system well its too hot then too cold then too hot,

heated seats yepp with your butt only heated Mirrors only with a scrapper and your kettle heated front screen wait 15/20 mins for it to de mist as it takes the heater matrix that long to warm up Air Bags you never want to see but can you trust they will work and finally a engine that is probably Fooooked at 100k

or if not the body work is well and trully as it is just std sheet steel

i have had a Corsa for two weeks when my IS went in to have Accident work done

i think it is as bad as the Ford KA

SO ENJOY THE RIDE NOT THE SPEED

Matt

well, the car just seemed to be getting slower and slower over the past few days. i took it to the mechanics who work for us sometimes and left it for a few hours. apparently the fuel filter was full of gunk. got back in it and its like a different car.

must have been due to the previous owner cause i rarely let it get below the quarter line on the fuel gauge.

seems to be running way faster now

where is the fuel filter located? is it an expensive part/job?

By the look of it its in the tank at the bottom of fuel pump

send me your email adress and i will send you a picture

mattboyce@blueyonder.co.uk

it didn't cost e anything, he said it was just a quick job to clean it out.

Lol, you don't need 'training' to drive at high speed, just experience (sp?) :)

Speed is just a matter of relativitely. Doing 100mph to me feels like a normal cruising speed.

there is a big difference between driving at 100mph, cruising along and doing things like high speed convoys nose to tail at 120mph, and high speed pursuits on road that have a 30 limit. anyone can drive at 100mph along a motorway, its not exactly hard, you just put your foot on the accelerator and let your car get to 100mph in a straight line.

if you have done an advanced course, fair enough, but until you have you have no idea how complex high speed driving can be.

he had me up to about 60mph and was WAY in front when we had to slow down.
the corsa pulled away from me in everything upto 4th gear and then we had to slow.

Sounds to me like a problem with the driver, rather than the car.

There is NO WAY you should have made it to 4th gear in a 0-60 dash.

Probably should have never left 2nd gear. Definately no way to make it to 4th gear before 60 mph.

you are correct, and i had not noticed the to serious mistake i have written there. don't know why i wrote thayt, must have been tired. it was upto 80mph not 60 and i went into 4th gear as i slowed down.

just as an update, i asked my colleage yesterday to do the same again going onto the M60 on our way hom from work. bearing in mind that i have just had the fuel filter cleaned out since the last time we raced. I ABSOLUTELY LEFT HIM STANDING. so it was obviously the fuel filter causing the problem.

So a major performance boost may be gained from cleaning/replacing your fuel filter, unless it was a problem unique to my car.

you are correct, and i had not noticed the to serious mistake i have written there. don't know why i wrote thayt, must have been tired. it was upto 80mph not 60 and i went into 4th gear as i slowed down.

just as an update, i asked my colleage yesterday to do the same again going onto the M60 on our way hom from work. bearing in mind that i have just had the fuel filter cleaned out since the last time we raced. I ABSOLUTELY LEFT HIM STANDING. so it was obviously the fuel filter causing the problem.

So a major performance boost may be gained from cleaning/replacing your fuel filter, unless it was a problem unique to my car.

just to let you and others know, the fuel filter is something that is 'only replaced when faulty' but can be obviously be cleaned.

good outcome :)

Craig

Yeah he was. I never normally race, because i feel the car likes to be driven 'correctly' (Ie not raced or thrashed)

Yes, and where i live there is a couple of IS200's knocking around, with chav owners. Thats why im looking out for an IS300 at the moment.

i agree they are becoming quite common now where i live. i mean ive had mine a while and im only 21, but i wouldn't consider myself to be a chav though! :hehe:

i too will be looking to change come the summer, think i will be on the hunt for an IS300 too, or maybe a new IS250.

we shall wait and see :)

• 2 weeks later...
last night on my way home from work one of my colleagues pulled up along side of me. he drives a 1.2 corsa, bog standard thing on an 02 plate (i think). just messing about i raced him from the line. i am in a 2.0 is200se with 153 bhp and he out accelerated me, in fact he left me standing. i know my car is much heavier, but i drive the odd corsa at work and they are rubbish at acceleration.

can this be right, i know the is200 is no speedster, in fact its performance is somewhat underpowered, but this!!!!!

could there be something wrong with my car, i know nothing about engines, but i have doe a lot of driver training and am quite aware how to get a car to accelerate to its best potential, so i can't understand how this could happen without there being something wrong.

its not as if the car has been ragged, it only has 17000 on the clock and was owned by an elderly gent before me who only did 15000 in three years.

i put some redex stuff in it recently just to make sure i was gettin the most out of the engine, doesn't look like that worked does it.

any ideas, or maybe someone to tell me that the car is ok is always gonna get trounced by a 1.2 corsa. in fact if that is the case i might get rid of the IS and go get me a 1.4 corsa speed machine :duh:

Anyone can beat someone who doesnt use the gears properly, If you use the is where its most comfortable (just before the limiter kicks in) you'd Woop alot of cars. you have to be aggressive with it,(IS's are well able for hard shifting and love to rev). they are not that slow. red lining is not that bad. the limiter is there to prevent damage so it limits the engine before it will do harm. so dont be afraid to take it to it.

try that drag again doing as i say and i guarentee you'll leave him sitting, by the way start off with the revs up at about 2000 - 2500rpm.

just to let you and others know, the fuel filter is something that is 'only replaced when faulty' but can be obviously be cleaned.

good outcome :)

Craig

I will get this changed. Any idea how much this part is?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links