Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Broadband Problems

oldcro

My present broadband connection keeps shutting down, it is the slowest Tiscali one of just 500kbps. So I am upgrading to Tiscali Max whch gives up to 8mbps. They have advised getting a wireless modem router and I am looking for some advice on which one to choose. The ones I have lloked at are from the Netgear Rangemax range and wondered how they compare with other makes. According to their adverts everyones is the greatest thing since sliced bread, so any advice on which are well made and reliable would be much appreciated.

Thanks

oldun

I use a Belkin ADSL modem

I have the same router with 2 belkin USB adapters on the PC's, Laptops have wireless built in. Car has a belkin PCMCIA adapter. All are connected at the same time, no problems at all. Oh, even the xbox360 is not connected through it and my mobile.

TBH, I recon they are all pretty much the same, most have a web based setup page so they are really easy to configure.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone for you're info, but I have gone for Steves choice (cause he's in charge) and ordered a Netgear Rangemax DG834N with a WN 121T wireless USB adapter.

Just hope for Steve's sake I don't regret my choice. :lol:

Thanks everyone for you're info, but I have gone for Steves choice (cause he's in charge) and ordered a Netgear Rangemax DG834N with a WN 121T wireless USB adapter.

I've got a Netgear Rangemax too, and had no problems so far :)

Ideally, you should have your main PC connected to the router via CAT5. This will give that PC total control at all times over the router.

If your Netgear is the same as mine (mine isn't the RangeMax but is 108Mbps) then dig through the configurations as you may only get 108Mbps connectivity if you use channel 6.

Also, ensure that the USB dongle is on the end of the supplied lead and it is positioned vertically as they seem to work better in that position.

I must be unlucky, I'm on my 4th Netgear router, a Belkin USB dongle failed after a week, and a Netgear 108 PC adaptor lasted a week - taking that back today.

Draytek are supposed to be the dogs danglies but a bit expensive, but I think I will go for the Vigor 600 from ADSLWarehouse at 29.99, it cant be worse than Belkin/DLink/Netgear etc.....

Just to let you know you can relax Steve, the Netgear Rangemax is here setup and working perfectly. After many hours use it has not dropped the connection once, Im very pleased. :D

Just to let you know you can relax Steve, the Netgear Rangemax is here setup and working perfectly. After many hours use it has not dropped the connection once, Im very pleased. :D

Beware - the Netgear Rangemax is reliable and has never crashed on me, but won't work with Cisco VPN client

Rangemax are very good if you can get the Router sighted in the correct position, you tend to get either almost full signal or just no signal atall with these.

I've used various makes of wireless access points/routers at home and work and found that Belkin is a waste of time/money, D-link works well aslong as you don't want to put in any fancy settings, Linksys is better than D-Link as you don't have to keep rebooting it every time you change 1 setting :tsktsk:. Netgear has always been the best by far especially for setting up, as you can change allot of settings in one go and then reboot it afterwards.

Having a huge signal that reaches to the bottom of your Garden isn't always the best thing as this means that other people can get into your Router/Network, even into your PC if you haven't got any security/firewall set up.

Beware - the Netgear Rangemax is reliable and has never crashed on me, but won't work with Cisco VPN client

Hope all of you are using security keys on your Routers? :whistling:

someone near me isnt :winky:

:lol:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links