Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Scraping Noise

Zak

Hello!

Could anyone please help me as my Lex is driving me mad!

Where shall I begin? Well here I go (Deep breath) :unsure: Ive had my Lex for approx. 18 months now and for the 8 months of it ive suffered from a scraping noise from the rear passenger wheel and it only happens when I take sharp right corners, when going around a round-a-bout or going over a speed hump infact my problem is near identical to MrTomas link:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=23405

Now in the past 8 months doing my 'research' Ive changed my:

1: disks and brakes (Kwik fit - Never again)

2: Shim kit (Bought from Woodford Lexus dealer)

3: Brake clips (Bought from Woodford Lexus dealer)

I even went down and saw Tony at wheels-inmotion down in Watford and had my Geometry sorted, whilst were on the topic of Geometry I would just like to say Tony is the man B) He knows what he's talking about even if you dont have a clue what he's on about! the only way I can describe what Tony did to the car well how the improvement felt anyway, would be lets say going to a Acupuncturist my car was transformed!

Where was I?!

Now I have run out of finance or rather patience :tsktsk: with the car and hate it when it makes that awful scraping sound.

Can anyone please help :unsure: or know anyone (im cr*p @ DIY)

Thank you & hope to hear from you soon

I see you have an IS200 sport, are there any mods on the vehicle? Standard 17" wheels?

What size tyres do you have?

What pressure do you have the rear tyres?

How many miles has the vehicle done?

Does the sound still exist if you apply the brakes lightly whilst going round a corner?

Does the sound still exist if you apply handbrake lightly whilst going round a corner?

Does the sound still exist if take the vehicle out of gear and coast round a corner?

How fast do you need to go before the noise is there?

I see you have an IS200 sport, are there any mods on the vehicle? Standard 17" wheels?

What size tyres do you have?

What pressure do you have the rear tyres?

How many miles has the vehicle done?

Does the sound still exist if you apply the brakes lightly whilst going round a corner?

Does the sound still exist if you apply handbrake lightly whilst going round a corner?

Does the sound still exist if take the vehicle out of gear and coast round a corner?

Hello Colin :)

If you dont mind me saying you sound a bit like a wizard from one of the Terry Brooks Novels I have read. Your questions are poised, clear and Concise :D

If you dont mind me asking how did you work out that it was a IS200 Sport? :excl: You were right may I add im just curious? :whistling:

Right your questions answered:

18" alloys with 225/40 ZR18 Tyres

32 psi air pressure

Car has done 62,000 miles (covered 16,000 myself)

YES

Well to be honest Colin I would never dream of it BUT you the man! B) if you want me to test it let me no! and il do it! are you sure you noy Derren Brown?! :hehe:

YES

I would say colin as long as the car is in motion, for example if I go over speed humps and clear them you will here the scraping sound. In a straight run its fine no matter what the speed either on the local roads or the motorway its a dream... :hehe: aahh

:sick: But as soon as you decide to take a right turn sharply you have had it! :tsktsk: minimum averaging speed at 15mph. However doing the same when turning left in the same conditions (Ive been experimenting) its fine?

I hope this is of some help to you Colin?

Hello!

Where shall I begin? Well here I go (Deep breath) :unsure: Ive had my Lex for approx. 18 months now and for the 8 months of it ive suffered from a scraping noise from the rear passenger wheel and it only happens when I take sharp right corners, when going around a round-a-bout or going over a speed hump infact my problem is near identical to MrTomas link:

I even went down and saw Tony at wheels-inmotion down in Watford and had my Geometry sorted, whilst were on the topic of Geometry I would just like to say Tony is the man B) He knows what he's talking about even if you dont have a clue what he's on about! the only way I can describe what Tony did to the car well how the improvement felt anyway, would be lets say going to a Acupuncturist my car was transformed!

Where was I?!

Now I have run out of finance or rather patience :tsktsk: with the car and hate it when it makes that awful scraping sound.

Zak,

This is a pretty common occurrence, and it drove me to distraction on my IS200 Sport for almost two years until it was diagnosed as the back plate rubbing issue. The scraping noise initially only occured on my nearside rear when turning right (especially roundabouts) and I really needed the window down to hear it. The noise got louder over the two years until I pulled the rear disc assembly apart to find out what was going on.

I'm not surprised Crap Fit failed to notice the rubbing marks when they changed your discs, unless you described you had a rubbing noise from that area, in which case they should have done.

The photographs and explanation in the post you referenced from Tomas describes the problem much better than just words. I just bent the plate away from the disc, but as mentioned in the post, it may be worth grinding the plate to prevent it rubbing. I also had a bit of corrosion build up on the plate which made the noise worse. The minimal play in the wheel bearing is enough to to bring the plate in contact with the disc when turning :angry:

Hello!

Where was I?!

Zak,

This is a pretty common occurrence, and it drove me to distraction on my IS200 Sport for almost two years until it was diagnosed as the back plate rubbing issue. The scraping noise initially only occured on my nearside rear when turning right (especially roundabouts) and I really needed the window down to hear it. The noise got louder over the two years until I pulled the rear disc assembly apart to find out what was going on.

I'm not surprised Crap Fit failed to notice the rubbing marks when they changed your discs, unless you described you had a rubbing noise from that area, in which case they should have done.

The photographs and explanation in the post you referenced from Tomas describes the problem much better than just words. I just bent the plate away from the disc, but as mentioned in the post, it may be worth grinding the plate to prevent it rubbing. I also had a bit of corrosion build up on the plate which made the noise worse. The minimal play in the wheel bearing is enough to to bring the plate in contact with the disc when turning :angry:

Thank you Tango il get on to it. Now I need the time to find someone!

Zak

I would first check the back plate as suggested by Tango, it sounds the most likely cause.

How did I know you have a sport, you specified it in your profile.

<------- shows up about here on your postings.

Ignore me Colin I can be stupid at times :P

Hello!

Please let us know the result :) I'm presuming, as you don't state, that the noise is from the rear LEFT hand side. Seems quite a coincidence that all our cars started to rub on the same location (you, MrTomas, Rx-men-8, Justin p and me) :unsure: . I'm sure it's also been covered by earlier posts....everything seems to repeat eventually :D

Hello!

Please let us know the result :) I'm presuming, as you don't state, that the noise is from the rear LEFT hand side. Seems quite a coincidence that all our cars started to rub on the same location (you, MrTomas, Rx-men-8, Justin p and me) :unsure: . I'm sure it's also been covered by earlier posts....everything seems to repeat eventually :D

Well so far Tango im not getting on well at all. First of all the answer to your question, yes the noise did originate from the rear LEFT hand side.

The problem is how do i grind the few millimeters required off and most importantly HOW?? What do I just going down to the local DIY store and get a remington grinder and just grind it off?? but how? is their anywhere I can take it and get it sorted?? I live in the south east and I dont mind travelling??

Please excuse my english grammer Ive had a long day at work. :tomato:

• 2 weeks later...

Well so far Tango im not getting on well at all. First of all the answer to your question, yes the noise did originate from the rear LEFT hand side.

The problem is how do i grind the few millimeters required off and most importantly HOW?? What do I just going down to the local DIY store and get a remington grinder and just grind it off?? but how? is their anywhere I can take it and get it sorted?? I live in the south east and I dont mind travelling??

Please excuse my english grammer Ive had a long day at work. :tomato:

Mine didn't require grinding...just cleaned it up and bent it away from where it was rubbing and it's been fine for the last year. :)

Thanks Guys I have sorted out the problem, Had the wheels taken off and after carefull inspection turned out the backing plate was knocking against the brake disk.

Thanks once again :D

• 4 weeks later...
i just had my rear discs changed during a service and this has just started to occur, do you think its worth taking the car back 200 miles to get them to check the plate out. it was never an issue til they replaced them...

Ya take it back... they must of slighty bent the plate will changing the disc's

• 6 months later...

Ive got, what sounds like the same noise, gonna take off wheels and disks again n check out the back plate, cos the noise is definitely that kind of sound.

Il try let you know, but havnt worked out how to send my own post yet, with out going into this forum again. ??

Ive got, what sounds like the same noise, gonna take off wheels and disks again n check out the back plate, cos the noise is definitely that kind of sound.

Il try let you know, but havnt worked out how to send my own post yet, with out going into this forum again. ??

:winky: I done it, stopped my annoying scraping noise.

:hehe: :P :hehe:

Im so happy now, the noise was so embarassing, when driving around.

It was the handbrake assemble back plate, at the bottom, both sides.

It had worn a groove on the disk/drums, in the resess of the lips which fit over the edge of the plate.

I just did a bit of grindin and dancer, alls quiet!

Cheers all for comments on this forum, to help Zak and Si, youve helped me too, cheers. B)

• 1 month later...

i have the same problem high pitched noise/scraping sound but mine is coming from the front passengerside wheel could it be be the back plate i taken to the garage he didnt have a clue where it was coming from i jacked the car up and spun the wheel and you can hear it am no good with diy so what to i tell the dude at the garage the problem is do i tell him to grind it or bend it back

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links