Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Gs300 Mk1 Instrument Lights

I have a Lexus GS300 MK1.

2 things:

1) I have noticed that the instrument lights are always on. Is this correct?

2) The lights seem a little yellow dirty, I have seen on other cars (merc) they have a crisp white colour shining through. I was planning on changing the bulbs to LED bulbs, however, not sure if can get to the bulbs easily and I do not know what kind of bulbs they are. Also will the dimmer work? or effect them... Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Kryz

I have a Lexus GS300 MK1.

2 things:

1) I have noticed that the instrument lights are always on. Is this correct?

2) The lights seem a little yellow dirty, I have seen on other cars (merc) they have a crisp white colour shining through. I was planning on changing the bulbs to LED bulbs, however, not sure if can get to the bulbs easily and I do not know what kind of bulbs they are. Also will the dimmer work? or effect them... Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Kryz

Hi Kryz,

The instrument panel does stay lite up while the ingination is on, the dimmer knob on the right of the steering wheel only adjusts the instrument lighting level and doesn't affect the bulbs on the front.

The bulbs I think are the HB 2006 bulbs, easliy replaced. but not worth replacing with LED's, better off going for the HID Headlight Kits, expensive but worth it.

BR

Paul

I think people are getting confused.

I mean the bulbs that light up the instrument panel, not the front headlights. Can those bulbs be replaced. I know i might have to take out the instrument panel, but does anyone know what kind of bulbs they are?

aside: where do I get HID conv kit from and how ££££

• 2 years later...
This link here may help.

There is also a thread on the LS part of the forum about replacing needle lights. Should be of use - the principles the same.

Old thread i know, but i was wondering what the bulb type is in the dash to, that link does not list them, anyone know what they are ?

This link here may help.

There is also a thread on the LS part of the forum about replacing needle lights. Should be of use - the principles the same.

Old thread i know, but i was wondering what the bulb type is in the dash to, that link does not list them, anyone know what they are ?

This is a tutorial I did for removing the dash and changing the bulbs. Unfortunately, I couldn't track the bulb type down, but did order some replacements which were wrong :lol: I haven't looked again since but do plan on trying again at some point.

dash removal

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had a couple blow on me on the heater dash. I rang Lexus and they supplied me some, pretty expensive though! I found out I needed 1 more so went to my local motor factors and he had quite a few the same size that worked ok, i have now fitted the extra 1s as well and they were like 50p each or something! £2 each from Lexus.....

So now I may strip my dash and go in again and see what type they are as I want to get some LED ones that will hopefully get rid of the yellow light and make it white!

Ye thats what i want to do, i bought some that are very similar to whats in there but they didn't work, but just maybe they have a + and -, i only thought about that after putting it all back together again.

Be intereswted to see how you get on...

Hi guys, I have an update

I stripped my speedo and have identified the 8 bulbs that need to be changed just for illumination of the dials and nothing else as there is alot of bulbs on the speedo!

They are 286 bulbs and the holder is called BL.

The bulbs we require are 286 push fits and I have ordered 10 for £7 delvered from crazyleds.co.uk

all you do is pull out the bulbs and replace with the LED ones hopefully! The blue holders are the ones you need to remove and refit with LEDS.

I should have them in a few days so will update then!

Cheers

I should hope so! They detach from the base, I googled them and they are the same dimensions as 286 bulbs?! I will report back on Wednesday when they arrive

Good stuff, fingers crossed.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links