Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Time To Replace Those Tyres

kam05

Guys,

Time has come to replace the tyres on the IS2, so basically recommend a tyre....(215/45/17)

I want a mid range tyre, looking to spend no more than £70-£80 a corner. Got some prices below:

Kuhmo Ecsta spt- £49

Dunlop SP9000 (non Lex)- £69

Hankook K104 XL- £57

Goodyear GSD3- £72

Toyo T1S- £66

Plan is to buy online and get the tyres fitted locally, hoping fitted shouldn't be more than a tenner a corner.

Whaddya think?

I always went for the dunlops... you could get 25k out of them if you wernt too 'spirited' and they did fine for me year round.

Excellent dry grip, good wet, didnt like standing water much, but the xmas i drove to the lakes in the blizzards she did fine.

Guys,

Time has come to replace the tyres on the IS2, so basically recommend a tyre....(215/45/17)

I want a mid range tyre, looking to spend no more than £70-£80 a corner. Got some prices below:

Kuhmo Ecsta spt- £49

Dunlop SP9000 (non Lex)- £69

Hankook K104 XL- £57

Goodyear GSD3- £72

Toyo T1S- £66

Plan is to buy online and get the tyres fitted locally, hoping fitted shouldn't be more than a tenner a corner.

Whaddya think?

Go for the Dunlops or the Goodyear. Don't get the Toyo T1-S's as Toyo brought out the T1-R as a direct result of the T1-S lack of performance in the wet (the T1-R's on mine work just fine..lowered the road noise too).

When mine need replacing I am going to get Federal SS-595

That link to mytyres.co.uk is for 19" so your size should be cheaper than that.

I had a couple of sets of these on my last car and they were the best tyres I had on it for grip and wear (compared with Falken, Toyos) and cheaper than a lot of tyres too, so gonna try some on the Lexus next time.

I have Kuhmo Ecsta on at the moment and think they are good for wear but not the best grip I have had.

Toyo's T1-R are the newer version ;) ..... very good, i'll be getting them again next time

How much did u pay Noel?? Might upgrade the rear 2 to T1-Rs soon. see is there much difference

i paid 510 yo-yo's online from eiretyres for 4 delivered..... cost me 50 more to get them fitted and balanced + new valves at a local garage.... :winky:

Goodyear GSD3- £72

Thats a good price for these tyres if they are the extra load ones, do you have a link for them? I have just replaced mine and paid £103 a corner fitted.

Cheers

Lee

Oh yeah, I have had these tyres on since i've had the car. They are an excellent choice, don't last as long as some of the cheaper brands but you certainly get the performance out of them. The last set of rears lasted about 8,000 miles, but that was going over to Germany twice (including the track) and bruntingthorpe, where they were just so grippy.

here's the link mate, don't think there the extra load ones....

Goodyear GSD3- £72

Thats a good price for these tyres if they are the extra load ones, do you have a link for them? I have just replaced mine and paid £103 a corner fitted.

Cheers

Lee

Oh yeah, I have had these tyres on since i've had the car. They are an excellent choice, don't last as long as some of the cheaper brands but you certainly get the performance out of them. The last set of rears lasted about 8,000 miles, but that was going over to Germany twice (including the track) and bruntingthorpe, where they were just so grippy.

Stay well away from the goodyear gsd3's Mine have done 25k and started to feather. The geometry is fine. I complained to Goodyear and someone phoned back basically telling me these tyres are not designed for the lexus and I should have fitted the bridgestones or dunlops. My gsd3s sound like army landrover tyres, they also did this on my previous car a ford focus. I will try and get a little more wear out of them and fit bridgestones next time. BTW the goodyears are a lot more noisy on motorways and crap in the snow.

Stay well away from the goodyear gsd3's Mine have done 25k and started to feather. The geometry is fine. I complained to Goodyear and someone phoned back basically telling me these tyres are not designed for the lexus and I should have fitted the bridgestones or dunlops. My gsd3s sound like army landrover tyres, they also did this on my previous car a ford focus. I will try and get a little more wear out of them and fit bridgestones next time. BTW the goodyears are a lot more noisy on motorways and crap in the snow.

Is that 25K miles ? :o .... don't think you should be complaining..... :blink:

The GSD3's are crap in snow as they weren't designed for it.

In the wet they are one of the best tyre I have tried over the years. The grip is just awesome, as for road noise, when cruising can't even hear the road. The only road noise you can hear is the crappy concrete motorway surface they sometimes use, which can be heard with any car.

Different people have different favourites, its all down to personal choice. As I change my tyres every 10000-15000miles, it doesn't really matter to me how long they last.

I complained to Goodyear and someone phoned back basically telling me these tyres are not designed for the lexus and I should have fitted the bridgestones or dunlops.

Thats good to hear, a tyre company making a tyre that is not designed use on a car :blink:

Dunlops are the recommended tyres and the ones fitted from the factory but they were s**t. Sometimes dangerous in the wet.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links