Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi all, have just had an accident in my ls400 DHP. 30 mph drove over a dead badger.

I couldn’t believe the noise and damage it has caused. Am going through an insurance claim as I can see the £ signs clocking up. What’s worrying me is the fact that I did not state the car was a DHP model when I insured the vehicle. Obviously the insurance company will try anything to not pay the claim and I am concerned that one of their questions was ‘’Has the car been modified’’. Do they mean any modifications after it left the Lexus factory, or do they mean ‘in any way’ is it not a standard Lexus. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks in advance, Graham.

hmm, interesting one. I'm not entirely sure but if I was insuring a DHP LS400 and I was asked by an insurance company "has the car be modified" I would answer no, since that is how the car left the lexus factory and there was no mod after that. Also at the time of insuring did they ask if its a standard LS400 or a DHP LS400 ? Most webistes of insurance companies etc when you are getting a quote or buying only have one option for the post '95 cars which says something like "95-00 4.0 LS400" and does not distinguish between DHP / non-DHP.

Anyone else got any ideas ?

It's NOT a 'Mod'. In fact, if anything, it's a safer version. And anyway, is there any way of telling? Doesn't say 'DHP' anywhere on it? In the same way as a BM has a variant. It's just a standard. Keep 'mum' !!

It's NOT a 'Mod'. In fact, if anything, it's a safer version. And anyway, is there any way of telling? Doesn't say 'DHP' anywhere on it? In the same way as a BM has a variant. It's just a standard. Keep 'mum' !!

Thanks Chris & Goldfinger. Have checked the v5 reg. certificate and it declares the car is a Lexus LS400. Alongside the 'Variant' & 'Version' entries the spaces have been left blank. If I had no previous knowledge of Lexus I would have been completely unaware that the car was in fact a dhp model. As Chris says,''Keep mum'' and hope the insurance assessor doesn't realise this fact. One thing I have discovered today is that the LS has a fuel cut off switch activated in the event of a collision.The reset button is located in the left hand side of the toolbox holder in the boot. Thanks ,Graham.

Defo keep schtum about it.

I had a ford Ka with much larger / wider wheels on, went from 13" to 15" but they were still ford Wheels.

Someone drove a van into it while I was in bed and then knocked on the door and said 'I've buggered your car mate', insurance questioned the wheels but I said... I know nothing about them being not the original fitment and as they had FORD in the centre caps, I never questioned it when I bought the car. After that they just paid up, the wheels were actually from a Puma.

Good job when I collected my personal effects from the car when it was towed to the garage, I took out the nitrous bottle from the boot... :)

I seemed to have taken the same stance with the LS too... big car, big wheels, say Lexus in the centre, how should I know any difference...

OK, dumb question - what's a DHP model?

:duh:

Hi, Dynamic Handling Pack. Lowered suspension,springs,17inch wheels(7 rings instead of 5)Ride much firmer,steering more responsive,sleeker looking, as its lower. The downside now is speed bumps and the terrible state of our roads.

If it's all Lexus supplied (ie an equipment pack that would have been specified when new and fitted when the car was handed over to it's original owner) then no, you don't have to declare it. If it really comes to an argument then deny all knowledge, especially since it doesn't appear on the V5.

Otherwise you'd legally have to declare every optional extra fitted - including a sunroof, carpet mats, cargo net, first aid kit etc etc. Which would just be ridiculous. I also find it really, really hard to believe an insurance assessor would spot it was a DHP model anyway... If he spotted it was lowered and looked closer, they'd only see Lexus or perhaps Toyota OEM markings on things anyway, and think it was just normal. Which it is, really...

• 3 weeks later...
If it's all Lexus supplied (ie an equipment pack that would have been specified when new and fitted when the car was handed over to it's original owner) then no, you don't have to declare it. If it really comes to an argument then deny all knowledge, especially since it doesn't appear on the V5.

Otherwise you'd legally have to declare every optional extra fitted - including a sunroof, carpet mats, cargo net, first aid kit etc etc. Which would just be ridiculous. I also find it really, really hard to believe an insurance assessor would spot it was a DHP model anyway... If he spotted it was lowered and looked closer, they'd only see Lexus or perhaps Toyota OEM markings on things anyway, and think it was just normal. Which it is, really...

Final outcome of my Badger saga.

Received phone call from bodyshop ''We cannot find anything wrong with the car''.Insurers' engineer inspected and he could find no fault either. As no accident damage is evident,the insurers will not pay one penny of any claim.Took car for test drive and was very happy.Bodyshop told me that the cost of vehicle recovery and approx 4 hours labour, stripping and reassembling the underneath of car would not be paid for by the insurers as the work was not neccessitated due to an accident.He begged me to take the car as he would do no more work on it as he would not be paid!!!It seems to me that insurance companies treat their approved repairers with the same contempt as they treat their customers.The insurers engineer had no idea that the car is a dhp model. Counting my blessings, and ,Yes, There is a ***.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links