Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hid Conversion

ive got standard hids on my limited editon is200 but i dont know what value they are, does anyone know?

i'm looking to upgrade the bulbs aswell as a conversion kit for the main beam and fog lights to 8000k

ive seen these on the net cheap hids but they are only 6000k and i want 8000k

has anyone got any pics of both values so i could compare what they look like? if the 6000k are not what im after i can get the bulbs to upgrade to 8000k and both kits for £250, so either way ill be happy but id rather pay £95 ($190) for the 6000k kits

cheers guys...

ive got standard hids on my limited editon is200 but i dont know what value they are, does anyone know?

i'm looking to upgrade the bulbs aswell as a conversion kit for the main beam and fog lights to 8000k

has anyone got any pics of both values so i could compare what they look like? if the 6000k are not what im after i can get the bulbs to upgrade to 8000k and both kits for £250, so either way ill be happy but id rather pay £95 ($190) for the 6000k kits

cheers guys...

You dont need a conversion kit you just need bulbs

cheers guys...

You dont need a conversion kit you just need bulbs

i need a conversion kit for the fog and main beamas the bulb types are h3 and hb3, the low beam is already a hid, but i dont know what value it is

Standard Lexus HIDs will be 4300K. Not the best picture, but these are the 8300Ks on my IS200:

122594723.jpg

Wouldn't bother changing your full beams, HIDs wouldn't come on quick enough when just flashing your lights, plus I don't think it's that good for them to just keep flicking them on and off

Standard Lexus HIDs will be 4300K. Not the best picture, but these are the 8300Ks on my IS200:

122594723.jpg

Wouldn't bother changing your full beams, HIDs wouldn't come on quick enough when just flashing your lights, plus I don't think it's that good for them to just keep flicking them on and off

thanks for the info about the bulb value,ill definatley get the 8000k bulbs

ive just look at the hid h4-3 kit and was wondering if these will fit. i would modify the wiring (so ive got two low beam feeds) and keep my current hid in the low beam but upgrade the bulb to 8000k and put the h4-3 kit in the full beam socket so it would give a dual low beam effect, and ill be able to have full beam hids. i could even put in some resistors to reduce the power on the second low beam feed so its not as bright. dont know if it would work but i think it would look good

122594723.jpg

thanks for the info about the bulb value,ill definatley get the 8000k bulbs

ive just look at the hid h4-3 kit and was wondering if these will fit. i would modify the wiring (so ive got two low beam feeds) and keep my current hid in the low beam but upgrade the bulb to 8000k and put the h4-3 kit in the full beam socket so it would give a dual low beam effect, and ill be able to have full beam hids. i could even put in some resistors to reduce the power on the second low beam feed so its not as bright. dont know if it would work but i think it would look good

ive just checked what type bulb i need and its a hb3 not a h3, my mistake, so this isnt gonna work. i know you hardly use your full beam but it still will look better than the standard yellow when you do use them.

How well do HID's function as high beam given that most of the time you use them is to flash them on - just wondering does that do any damage to them as the majority of the time they wouldn't complete their warm up cycle?

Anyone know?

I have them on both low and high beam and I must say that they are quite useless for high beam:

- they are so bright that the reflection on directions is too intense (don't know if I am really clear here)

- the low beam is already bright enough to light the road efficiently

On the other side, on a road with no directions, the high beam give you the impression to be in daylight :P

hid_1_14.jpg

i might get the fogs done then and use the hid look bulb ive got for the full beams for the time being,

the hid look bulbs ive got look like standard halogen bulbs next to the hids though, but is it worth the money for a quick flash of your lights. something ill have a little think about :unsure::unsure::unsure:

aido- ive been informed by someone at hids-direct that its only a myth that it causes damage to the bulb. i dont know if hes having me on or not.

so if anyones got any other opinions on it, let us know please

I'd have thought it'd be putting more stress on the ballasts to be honest as they get a surge when they fire up and then calm down, but if you're constantly just sending the surge through with four or five quick blasts that can't do much good surely?

What about for the mains just looking for some halogens that are painted blue to be around the 8000k temp as they should pretty much be a perfect match then?

Wouldn't hids in your fogs be illegal? I though all hids (upgrade kits like on ebay) are not road legal even in low beams unless your car has the self levellers for the low beams. No matter what car you had, the fogs would not have self levellers I'm guessing, so could never be road legal. They would just be a downright menace assuming you are wanting them blue so you can just cruise around in perfect weather conditions with them on.

Wouldn't hids in your fogs be illegal? I though all hids (upgrade kits like on ebay) are not road legal even in low beams unless your car has the self levellers for the low beams. No matter what car you had, the fogs would not have self levellers I'm guessing, so could never be road legal. They would just be a downright menace assuming you are wanting them blue so you can just cruise around in perfect weather conditions with them on.

I agree. Fog lights on without fog are a serious anoyance and can be blinding to other drivers. I have seen a few people stopped over here for haveing them on but not enough. If someone comes up behind me with their fogs on they get my rear fogs as a taste of their own.

I never get the argument about fog lights - I hardly ever use mine, but have never had any problems with anyone else using theirs. They point at the ground, so are no bother at all.

I find it far more irritating being followed by a Range Rover with xenons, that is seriously annoying as it shines straight through the rear window into my mirror.......

Never hear anyone complaining about them.......

Anyway, I think I see where Aido's coming from, but also, HIDs don't come on at full brightness straight away, so not sure how useful they'd be when you're trying to flash someone in daylight.

If you've got a limited edition though, they are proper HIDs, and something to bear in mind is that the ones on your car at the moment will put more light on the road than the 8000K set you're planning to buy :whistling:

I never get the argument about fog lights - I hardly ever use mine, but have never had any problems with anyone else using theirs. They point at the ground, so are no bother at all.

I find it far more irritating being followed by a Range Rover with xenons, that is seriously annoying as it shines straight through the rear window into my mirror.......

Never hear anyone complaining about them.......

Anyway, I think I see where Aido's coming from, but also, HIDs don't come on at full brightness straight away, so not sure how useful they'd be when you're trying to flash someone in daylight.

If you've got a limited edition though, they are proper HIDs, and something to bear in mind is that the ones on your car at the moment will put more light on the road than the 8000K set you're planning to buy :whistling:

i know they will put more light on the road but i want to upgrade the bulb so that it has a more blueish tint to it. im still undecided about the full beams, i want them for the effect but are they goin to be pratical. i'm definately going to get the fogs, ill only use them when needed.

does anyone know whats the best halogen bulb to get to match the hids? needs to be around the 8000K value, but im now thinking of going for the 10000k bulbs

hidscx9.jpg

Info i got was that ALL aftermarket HID kits are illegal in the EU as they won't have an "E" mark as they are not the same as the bulb that the're replacing....

i'm still probably gonna get some all the same... lol

• 2 weeks later...
Info i got was that ALL aftermarket HID kits are illegal in the EU as they won't have an "E" mark as they are not the same as the bulb that the're replacing....

i'm still probably gonna get some all the same... lol

To say that all aftermarket HID kits are illegal is not in essence true. Have a read of this factsheet from the department for transport. Fact is, it's a very grey area and to be honest, you're going to be pretty unlucky to come across a policeman who actually notices and unluckier still if he knows the ins and outs of the law. I've never known anyone who's been pulled over for this reason and come MOT time, you can just plug the original bulbs back in for the day if they're picky.

Keith

Turning HID's on and off quickly will shorten their life considerably..

Retrofit HID's are technically illegal in the UK as they are not E approved, and do not have the self leveller..

saying that, I have them on my 626GT, and the difference is amazing, and it has passed the last 4 or 5 MOT's without problem, as the cutoff pattern is much sharper and defined than halogen. bear in mind, most HID fitments have projector beam lights, and the 626 has these as std.

I was importing these for MX6 club members for around £110 all in, including delivery and all taxes paid.

As I am only a newbie here, I won't take the liberty of starting a bulk buy, but if one of the admins want's details of the manufacturer I deal with, then I will pass the info on.

John

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links