Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tte Supercharger "uprated" Spring

I know a few of you have recently fitted these - how are they working for you?

Mine is rubbish! I noticed when driving that when i took my foot off the accelerator the supercharger was making a much louder noise than it was with the old spring on.

The spring looked fine and seemed to move freely enough - but I then found all is well when driving the car really sensibly, but as soon as you put your foot down enough to get above 3-4000 revs the louder noise kicks in (normally for the rest of the journey). I'm guessing the bypass valve is not being pulled open by the spring (that is what it does isn't it?) that is causing it.

Looking at the spring again I found that if I moved the valve all the way round that the spring would actually twist itself enough to jam one of the pins that pushes the spring back into shape and would only spring back about 3/4 of the way, leaving the valve loose for the last 1/4.

Anyone else had this issue or have I just managed to get a duff spring kit - if so it's no surprise there that I got it! Anything I can do? I'm half tempted to put the old one back on!

Not sure I've described it too well there so could try to take some pictures tomorrow if you need things clarifying. :unsure:

think either its a manufacturing fault or an installation fault - please take a good quality close up photo of the spring in the normal position and then one of when it is "twisted" maybe i can see something thats wrong??

I'm guessing the bypass valve is not being pulled open by the spring (that is what it does isn't it?) that is causing it.

the uprated spring is to help the bypass not open so easily/close quicker....so check that its not been put in in reverse or upside down or something....and perhaps try and push it open and see it it flicks shut nicely.

Edit: ps -mine didnt make a big difference on its own initially- just helped to hold the pressure longer, but then i put it in to a tighter position and now it was gives a little more pull- ie with no blow off what so ever!

I'm guessing the bypass valve is not being pulled open by the spring (that is what it does isn't it?) that is causing it.

the uprated spring is to help the bypass not open so easily/close quicker....so check that its not been put in in reverse or upside down or something....and perhaps try and push it open and see it it flicks shut nicely.

Edit: ps -mine didnt make a big difference on its own initially- just helped to hold the pressure longer, but then i put it in to a tighter position and now it was gives a little more pull- ie with no blow off what so ever!

WRONG!!! the spring is to OPEN the bypass - the only way the bypass will close quicker is if you put your foot down quicker

ohh - must have my facts confused!! :wacko:

....so then shouldnt the uprated hold the bypass open for longer when you put your foot down and therefore give you less power.

(sorry if its a silly question -im still a novice - only picked up a little bit of info on this when i was having some trouble with the s/c just after fitting!!)

no it wouldnt as the bypass is directly linked to the throttle mechanism via a cable. there is a little more force required to close the bypass but it is minimal so there is in effect no difference in the closing time (if someone wants to be anal, then yes there is a difference but in the "real" world there isnt). The newer spring is used because the older spring would snap and also was not strong enough to always open the bypass.

If anyone wants a bit more info on SC related things let me know and maybe i can help

think either its a manufacturing fault or an installation fault - please take a good quality close up photo of the spring in the normal position and then one of when it is "twisted" maybe i can see something thats wrong??

Thanks mate. Will put a pics up tonight when I get home from work. Had to drive to work today without going over 4000rpm!

Mine did exactly this...

"Looking at the spring again I found that if I moved the valve all the way round that the spring would actually twist itself enough to jam one of the pins that pushes the spring back into shape and would only spring back about 3/4 of the way, leaving the valve loose for the last 1/4.

Is your top washer made of aluminium ? Scratches in it ?

Got a couple of snaps but they aren't too good. I'm not the best with a camera and the camera is not that good either!

Starting position:

SCSpring.jpg

After it's been closed and then released:

SCSpring2.jpg

You can see the prong on the right sticks and is then pulled away from it's starting position and so the spring become ineffective.

I'm not sure if the washer is aluminium but the spring certainly seems to be catching on it - if you push the stuck prong down a touch it snaps back to the correct place. I will try to get a steel washer tomorrow that is also the correct thickness (had to file a groove on the top for the clip to sit in on that one) and see if it helps.

I can try to take a video if anyone wants to see exactly what happens.

Slightly off topic, can you get these springs from TTE? How much etc?

I just went on the TTE site, found there contact Email, then emailed them a sob story hot my old style spring was knackered and i'd heard there was an uprated one and could they send me one.

Emailed Monday night, the thing arrive Wednesday free of charge.

Stav

I just went on the TTE site, found there contact Email, then emailed them a sob story hot my old style spring was knackered and i'd heard there was an uprated one and could they send me one.

Stav

If they also sent you the installation guide can you scan it for other to see in future??

For info i put a thicker washer on the bypass spring and the spring got stuck also - with the thinner washer no problems.

Stav

If they also sent you the installation guide can you scan it for other to see in future??

For info i put a thicker washer on the bypass spring and the spring got stuck also - with the thinner washer no problems.

TTE told me that there is NO installation guide available for the uprated spring.....

well i had one! who told you that? was it Florian?

yes, Florian Bachus i believe:

"Hello Rob,

Unfortunately we do not have an installation manual for the spring.

Please find attached the installation manual to the whole compressor kit.

If you cannot install it please contact a Toyota or Lexus workshop.

For any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Kind regards,

Toyota Motorsport GmbH

Florian Bachus

Co-ordinator Sales"

Right, I changed the washer for a thinner steel one. Move much more freely now although I haven't driven the car since I changed it. When I took the other one off you could see the scrapes the spring had put into the bottom of it and it had worn a groove that is where it was sticking.

Hopefully a steel one will not be as soft as the aluminium and will have a little less pressure on it because it is a little thinner. I will apply some grease too which will help as well I would think.

Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Anyone else who have not fitted theirs yet - don't use the washer that came in the kit! :whistling:

I spoke to Florian as well, and i didn't get a fitting instruction either.

Also, my washer was/is fine.

When i bought the charger it had the uprated spring and the original springs on.

When i got the new one i had a look on the car and found that the uprated one had snapped and so the original one was the only one working. So all i had to do was whip out the clip, pull the washer and spring off and replace it with the new ones.

Stav

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links