Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheel Corrosion On A Rx300 - Belgium

To all,

I have already found some info on this issue within the different topics.

However, I would like to give an impression on Lexus Belgium After Sales.

My RX300 showed the now classic wheel corrosion, but they refused to do anything about it.

Via family, working for Toyota Motor Engineering, I was informed that a lot of the RX300 cars exhibited the

same problem.

However, Lexus Belgium refused to acknowledge this.

My car was 3 months out of warranty when I entered it for normal service (every 15.000 km); since I do

not drive many kilometers with this car, I only enter it at the shop when overhaul needs to be done, that is after

15.000 kms.

So I went the last time at 45.000 km, just three months out of warranty.

The second time the car was in, after two years, no corrosion was evident.

Pictures were sent to Lexus Belgium, who immediately refused to do anything about the evident wheel corrosion, stating :

your car is out of warranty.

Is there anything that maybe Lexus Europe can do? Was anybody offered a solution?

I am not concerned about having to replace them on my own cost (the money involved is peanuts compaired to the cost

of the car itself; I am however deeply dissappointed in the fact thet Lexus refuses to take its responsibility at all.

Best regards from Brussels, Belgium.

Pieter

Hi Pieter.

I can't offer any real comfort for you since your car is out of warranty. Had it been in warranty my understanding is that Lexus dealers (in the UK) would replace them. Best thing to do is search the forums for people's experiences outside warranty, but you will soon see that this issue is a running sore for many Lexus owners. Seems to be a company policy to make substandard alloys.

Spoils the quality image somewhat, but only in a few countries with salty winter roads, so Lexus/Toyota don't care (unlike everyday Ford models). My GS wheels are beginning to bubble after less than 2 years, :tsktsk:

Lovely car though :)

IanB :D

Lexus like everybody else will have a warranty period. Once you pass the warranty then that's it.

Same as a DVD player or anything else. If it is within the warranty/ guarantee term then they HAVE to replace it.

It (warranty) has to stop somewhere. If Lexus change your wheels because you are only 3 months out of warranty then it sets a criteria for the next owner who is 4 months out of warranty.

If like you say you are not bothered about the cost of new wheels Then buy a new set. ( But if you buy them from Lexus ) Don't expect them to last longer than 3 years.

Alloys/chrome wheels on any car will always last longer if cleaned properly and looked after. We spend a fortune on polish' waxes for the body and lovingly spend hours on a Sunday morning trying for the perfect shine. Then spend 20 minutes giving the wheels a wipe over 'cos by then we are fed up and the car is looking good. I personally do the wheels first. Wheels look great all waxed and shiny so the car HAS to get done.

T7RY B,

IanB,

Thank you for your answer.

Forgot to mention that I already purchased from that same company (Toyota Motor) five

Toyota's and 2 Lexus's since 1993.

Guess that customer service doesn't exist anymore ... like as in the old days.

This way both Lexus and Toyota are pushing away their loyal customers.

Thanks,

P.

• 5 months later...

In the UK as I understand it.....regardless of any manufacturers warranty period any item up to 6 years old is covered by the sale of goods act and if found faulty or not fit for the purpose due to manufacturing or design fault a claim can be made through the courts, the law sides strongly with the customer in most circumstances, it all depends upon degrees of cost/value/designed purpose and usage.

Best regards David

I posted back my experience in getting Lexus to attend to the issue of corroding roof rails on my 2003 (face lifted!) RX300 SE only recently. I found that Lexus did need some convincing but as I had elected to renew the extended Lexus Warranty on my car anyways, they supplied the roof bars FOC and I was very happy. You have to take a logical (but polite) stance with them, be firm but fair and you should get a satisfactory result.

Not sure what the consumer laws are like over where you are, but we seem to have some very wide ranging (and useful) protection as consumers here in the UK.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links