Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hdtv Technical Help Please

swfcdan

We have just got a new HDTV Plasma thingy ma jig for the living room. its some 40 odd inch samsung effort.

set it all up no probs but the pic isnt quite as crisp as the one in my bedroom. played around with the settings on sky + box and that has improved things slightly

am i correct in saying the next port of call is to buy a slightly better scart cable? if so could someone point me in the right direction as to which one?

thanks

I got mine of e-bay realy gd quality (Coax plug 2 coax socket pure oxygen free) iv got a sony 46" & when 1st set up picture was crap like squares just mess about thats what i did & it was ok ;)

dont go spending huge amounts on cables as u will find there isnt much difference - i would say a max of £30 for a very good brand scart - same goes for HDMI cables - its digital so it either works or it doesnt., no need to spend £ 100 on one when a £6 one does exactly the same with the same results

Only partially agree with Rob. Buy a good quality cable, I wouldn't go as far as to say that there isn't a difference between a £30 and a £100 cable but you'd have to be a total nerd to notice the difference. There most certainly will be a noticable difference between a £6 and a £100 cable though. If ultimate picture quality is important, buy a decent lead but the application and quality of SCART is limited so you'd in effect be buying a cable that is capable of more than the technology can offer, oh no I've gone cross eyed!!! I agree though, £30 is a good amount to spend on a cable.

SCART is last generation, HDMI is the technology now. Sky HD is HDMI but + isn't, I'd say splash out and get HD but if that's not an option, just buy a decent (but not excessively expensive) scart cable.

Keith :)

cheers for the responses guys, im not the nerdy type haha so i just want something simple toimprove picture quliaty until we get Sky HD. thik ill just buy another cable for the time being.

AVForums is your best bet for calibration settings for each model to get the best pic.

TBH though I wouldn't bother with the new cable - SD broadcasts are always going to look bad on an HD telly especially once you start getting large screens (I'm guessing the one in your bedroom isn't 40"?)

Whilst you sticking with SKY+ then make sure the Video Output is set to RGB - rather than PAL (Services, Picture Settings, Video Output) - On our main TV downstairs (36" CRT) it makes a huge difference and on PAL looks a little fuzzy.

I bought my lad a 42" Samsung HD Plasma for his birthday in June...and I have to say I'm impressed with the quality - but you certainly notice the difference when you use a HD source vs standard - even more so because of the size of the screen.

The new hi def tv's are mostly set to produce the best posible picture using an hd source but if you are not using an hd source but an normal std source then with some tv's the picture will be worse, if your picture is better on your old tv I bet it's not a hi def tv and it may even be a crt tv (the normal old tv type).

The whole idea of hi def is to improve the picture quality and you would be better off useing the component inputs thats the red,green and blue inputs or they are also called y,Pb,Pr but these only carry video signals and no sound so you will have to use a audio input aswell, try optical if your units have it.

Scart is okay but older technology, component is a better picture.

Of course none of this will help if your tv is not specified to give good quality std pictures and only gives its true performance with hi def, something the salesmen will not tell you or will not know, this is an important fact.

Hope this helps ?

If you want more advice send a pm, I am in Spain next week.

Scart is okay but older technology, component is a better picture.

And component is even older........

To be honest though, component is as good as HDMI, just that HDMI also carries sound channels..

As far as TV's go... I have a Panasonic 42" Plasma, which upscales standard input from freeview and DVD, so the picture quality is excellent anyway... but HD is absolutely superb.

I agree on some HD ready sets, normal picture quality can be very poor.

John

cheers for the advice guys, worry over though, the picture seems to have settled down on its own, odd but it has.

more importantly, decided to take the plung and get Sky HD, will be here in 2 weeks :lol:

cheers for the advice guys, worry over though, the picture seems to have settled down on its own, odd but it has.

more importantly, decided to take the plung and get Sky HD, will be here in 2 weeks :lol:

how many HD channels do they offer now because last time i looked it was very limited and no where near value for the fees they were asking

I've just got my HD and for the first 30 mins thought it was rubbish! I then realised that i hadn't selected the HD input (AV4 on my Sony) on the TV!!! What a numpty....... The picture is now awesome!!!!!!!

Sky HD rocks! My 2 year old 32" sony has a far supior picture to the new 42" Panasonic I bought that was supposed to be replacing it!!! The pana is now the 360 Xbox TV :winky:

how many HD channels do they offer now because last time i looked it was very limited and no where near value for the fees they were asking

no sure, not many though, its very overpriced imo, however its the parents that are paying for it :blush: . (not paying for it, for me. ive recently graduated from uni and now back at home for the record) :shifty:

Im gettin nagged @ 2 get sky HD 4 our HDTV :crybaby: but refuse 2 pay lol :blush:

So be nice 2 know just how good it is ?

BTW glad ur TV settled down mine was the same :blink:

It's awesome fella, both me and the misses love it. It's surprising what channels you watch! You may and will laugh at this but..... sitting there watching a sun rise on discovery in HD is amazing. the colours, quality! awesome.... just make sure your telly has got what it takes and you select HD on the telly, or look like a numpty when the misses says 'it's rubbish!'. You should go and check it out for yourself. i love sky sports..... IMO, it's well worth the money......

Unless you get Sports and Movies, don't think there really is too much else really worth watching in HD (except Sky One?)

As a Virgin Media subscriber myself, there's barely anything at all so haven't bothered to get it yet - think I will though soon when Channel 4 and ITV start their HD channels in the next few months..........at least it's not so bad on Virgin as it's only a £150 one-off cost and free after, compared to the £299 for Sky HD plus £10/month after........ :sick:

How many Channels do u get that r HD ? & how much is it ? :blink:

The sun rise sounds fab & lol @ fella :winky:

Yeah anyway! nothing wrong with the sunrise! the colours and details is fantastic.... :shutit:

number of channels - 2 sports, 2 movies, 2 movie (pay), sky one, history, discovery, BBC and a few others i don't really watch, i'll get the exact numbers tonight. I paid £200 for the HD box and to have my sky plus moved upstairs, then an extra £10 a month.

How many Channels do u get that r HD ? & how much is it ? :blink:

The sun rise sounds fab & lol @ fella :winky:

Yeah anyway! nothing wrong with the sunrise! the colours and details is fantastic.... :shutit:

number of channels - 2 sports, 2 movies, 2 movie (pay), sky one, history, discovery, BBC and a few others i don't really watch, i'll get the exact numbers tonight. I paid £200 for the HD box and to have my sky plus moved upstairs, then an extra £10 a month.

Cheers wasnt avin a go @ sunrise does sound well, was the fella bit :crybaby:

Unless you get Sports and Movies, don't think there really is too much else really worth watching in HD (except Sky One?)

As a Virgin Media subscriber myself, there's barely anything at all so haven't bothered to get it yet - think I will though soon when Channel 4 and ITV start their HD channels in the next few months..........at least it's not so bad on Virgin as it's only a £150 one-off cost and free after, compared to the £299 for Sky HD plus £10/month after........ :sick:

Cheers, im a cheep skate lol & just stick with my Free Freeview :blush:

Keeps gettin new channels so keeps me amused :crybaby:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links