Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I previously owned a Mk IV 1999 LS400 but sold it almost a year ago for various complicated reasons, so I've been away from the forum for a while. Wavered badly before finally going ahead and selling and have missed my Lexus since (of course!). Have a Saab 9-5, nice enough but not a Lexus.

So recently have been thinking of returning to the fold. Even test drove a GS300 the other day, very nice but not the same ride and quite a bit of road roar from the tyres. Really my sights are set on the bigger car and an older LS430 is now in my range.

Just back from looking at one. Seven years old but in really nice condition, handful of stone chips, that's about it. Low mileage for age at 57,000 so just about run in :). My main reservation is the service history so that's where I'm looking for advice as the golden rule is full Lexus dealer history only, right?

This one has been serviced pretty much when it should but the last two have been non-Lexus, and the latest was 13 months ago though not too many miles in that time. As part of the negotiation the (independent) dealer has agreed to have a full (not intermediate) Lexus service. I'm thinking that will give me the peace of mind I need, especially if I talk to Lexus after they've done the work. I wasn't going to get an RAC check this time.

Does this sound sensible, guys? Or perhaps a little rash? Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks

Chris

P.S. I did wonder about the tyres too - 3 different makes! A Dunlop Sport 270 and a Continental on the rear. On the front two fairly new looking tyres I've never heard of, Kuhmo Ecsta K11. The one thing on the test drive was more tyre noise than I expected and I'm wondering if these are to blame?

Personally speaking, I'd walk away from the deal. There is nothing wrong with non-Lexus servicing, provided it's done by a competent garage.

However, 3 different makes of tyre (esp on the rear), make me feel that the car hasn't been looked after as well it could have been. It's your hard earned cash you're spending after all.

Read some of the posts of owners on this forum who pamper their cars, and the lengths they go to find the BEST tyres for their Lexus.

Fair point, Maneesh. But you know, in every other respect it looks and feels very well looked after.

Buying a new car is always a nervous time, isn't it? I find I'm hypersensitive to every little thing, when often it's just that it's different from what you are used to.

You haven't mentioned what sort of price it's up for, I would expect the lack of main dealer history to be reflected in the price although I doubt if a trader would! If it went through a full main dealer service without any problems is could be a fair buy if the price was right.

Personally I would be very wary of non dealer service history though, the unknown factor is how good (or bad) were the independant garages that carried out the services, did they carry out and stick to the recommended Lexus service items and schedules etc?

Maneesh has a very valid point regarding the tyres, Kuhmo's are budget tyres and certainly not something I would even consider for an LS, if they have been prepared to cut corners on things such as tyres "what else have they cut corners on?" would be the question that would be bugging me.

I'm not saying it's not worth considering, after all as you say it does sound pretty good despite the downsides, but it's best to satisfy your concerns if possible, before handing over your hard earned money.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

PS. Out of interest are the other services main dealer? If so you can contact the dealer and get them to go through the work carried out with you.

Thanks Barney. Price just under £12k including a warranty and obviously the full 60k Lexus service.

Apparently the previous owner is about 90! Just traded in for a Lexus hybrid, car is coming to the dealer direct from the Lexus dealer, they hadn't even collected it yet when I stopped by for a look!

All the original services were Lexus main dealer locally to where the car is, the last two (non-Lexus services) were another local garage. The service is to be done by the same local Lexus dealer so I will go through that and previous history with them when they have done the work.

Thanks Barney. Price just under £12k including a warranty and obviously the full 60k Lexus service.

Apparently the previous owner is about 90! Just traded in for a Lexus hybrid, car is coming to the dealer direct from the Lexus dealer, they hadn't even collected it yet when I stopped by for a look!

All the original services were Lexus main dealer locally to where the car is, the last two (non-Lexus services) were another local garage. The service is to be done by the same local Lexus dealer so I will go through that and previous history with them when they have done the work.

Chris, judging the car from what you have just added makes the car seem a lot more attractive, you have checkable history and despite two services being non Lexus you will have a full service by the dealership when you buy it (should you do so) then it should be back on course to Lexus standards. I bought my Toyota Supra with one non dealership service stamp, as soon as it was in my ownership I had Toyota do a full service, kept it with them ever since and have had no problems.

I would push them for a change of tyres to something more suitable, beyond that unless your really unlucky it should be fine.

Chris

Having recently bought a very similar car here is my two penny worth.....

DEFINATLY get the tyres changed.... you want Dunlop sport 270's all round.....

actually my typing is not very quick and I've loads to say so ring me on 07971 161885 and I'll talk you through it.....

Pete

Thanks again, Barney, that's how I see it too.

Good idea re the tyres but I may be too far down the negotiation route now for that (deal basically agreed subject to the service not throwing up anything unexpected).

I should probably be more demanding but the two front Kumhos are pretty new so I can see the dealer's point that he doesn't see a need to replace those. (But I might, especially if Dunlops might be quieter). I have more of a case on the two rears being different and with more wear, I will ask Lexus for a view on match/wear.

I've never done this with my Lexuses, but you CAN get 2nd hand tyres.....I got some very good ones for my B*W 850 once.

Otherwise, non-Lexus dealer thing could just be someone saving pennies, as basic servicing isn't THAT much of rocket science! Have you driven it? Did it feel the same as your (memory of) Ser4?

Was tempted, but rumours of harder ride kept me here, cruising in my Ser 4.

Go for it!

Thanks Chris. I would have to say the ride compared favourably as I had the DHP version of the 400 and prefer a comfier ride. It was just the tyre noise I would have preferred to be less on the 430, though I may well be exaggerating the extent of it.

By the way, I see that not only have we very similar names (I presume that is your surname, though you can't see mine) but also we are sometimes quite close by as I am generally based in Bristol during the week!

Was tempted, but rumours of harder ride kept me here, cruising in my Ser 4.

Go for it!

Chris

Having driven both I would say there is no noticable difference between the magic carpet ride of either, if on the right Dunlop tyres of course, the one thing you do notice is that you sit higher in a 430 than in a 400. if you want to try one and are up here sometime let me know.....

Pete

Well, I've done it and I am back!

Just in from collecting a LS430, one of the earliest from late 2000, but you know what it's like - looks just about new. Must get back to work but more details to follow, if anyone's interested. But it is great to be back in a Lexus!

First paranoid moment: reversing beeps very quiet, is that normal?

And tomorrow, a day trip on business to Plymouth (from Bristol). Good chance to get to know the new motor!

Chris

Thanks Chris. I would have to say the ride compared favourably as I had the DHP version of the 400 and prefer a comfier ride. It was just the tyre noise I would have preferred to be less on the 430, though I may well be exaggerating the extent of it.

By the way, I see that not only have we very similar names (I presume that is your surname, though you can't see mine) but also we are sometimes quite close by as I am generally based in Bristol during the week!

Look at the 'Royce Rolls Cafe for sale' string on here and you'll know where to eat in Bristol centre. I'm trying NOT to be there, but am sometimes (Wed is Farmers Market day, so sometimes then.....)...and you can admire my lovely employees!

Chris

Well, I've done it and I am back!

Just in from collecting a LS430, one of the earliest from late 2000, but you know what it's like - looks just about new. Must get back to work but more details to follow, if anyone's interested. But it is great to be back in a Lexus!

First paranoid moment: reversing beeps very quiet, is that normal?

And tomorrow, a day trip on business to Plymouth (from Bristol). Good chance to get to know the new motor!

Chris

Congratulations Chris I hope the LS gives you many happy, reliable years of motoring..........oh and welcome back!

Now get that camera out :)

Thanks Barney. I have looked all over the site but can't see how to post images in a post, so I have put some up on my gallery instead, in my profile.

I bought the car down your way, from Bristol Motor Company. (I am based in Bristol during much of the week.) It is a late 2000 model so one of the earliest 430's. As noted above, it didn't have a full Lexus service history but they agreed for it to have a full 60k Lexus service at Lexus Bristol (who also talked me through the first four services, which they had done), not just the intermediate one it was due. I wouldn't have considered it otherwise but I see it as being back "on track" now.

As I hope you can tell it is in lovely condition. I had to visit our Plymouth office the day after I bought it so had an early opportunity for a 250 mile round trip and it performed just as you would have hoped. Those sort of journeys are what the Lexus does best, aren't they? I had great fun experimenting to see what all the buttons did on the way down, as I hadn't had much chance to read the manual by then. I haven't found anything which doesn't work yet! I feels like a definite upgrade from my 1999 LS400, which I loved but sold almost a year ago (still not sure why).

One early finding was that at motorway speeds the ride seemed more comfortable with the air suspension at Sports setting, even though at speed Normal is supposed to ride a little tauter anyway.

The one thing I wish, and I am being picky here, is that it rode a little quieter. Tyre noise is the issue (well actually British roads are the issue, but you know what I mean . . .). On "nice" stretches of road/motorway it is indeed almost silent but on other surfaces (most) there is more tyre noise than I would like. As part of the deal, it is having two new Dunlop 270's on the rear tomorrow where it currently has two more worn tyres of different makes! I am hoping that will help. The front has two Kumho K11's which I am not thrilled about but they are quite new. It is an open question in my mind that I might switch those quite soon for 270's as well.

Overall, as I think I might have mentioned - it's great to be back in a Lexus!

Chris

Well, I tried to post three pictures but so far I've only managed to get one up there. When I posted it, it backed out of the uploading program and it took me ages to find my way back in. Then when I tried to load another, it told me I've got all the albums I can have (one) and that I have reached my allowable album size. It's only about 50k! So I give up, you will have to imagine what the rest of it looks like, unless anyone has suggestions for what else I can try?

By the way I didn't do that pixellation thing on the number plate, is that a mistake? Why do people do that, am I missing something?

Thanks Barney. I have looked all over the site but can't see how to post images in a post, so I have put some up on my gallery instead, in my profile.

I bought the car down your way, from Bristol Motor Company. (I am based in Bristol during much of the week.) It is a late 2000 model so one of the earliest 430's. As noted above, it didn't have a full Lexus service history but they agreed for it to have a full 60k Lexus service at Lexus Bristol (who also talked me through the first four services, which they had done), not just the intermediate one it was due. I wouldn't have considered it otherwise but I see it as being back "on track" now.

As I hope you can tell it is in lovely condition. I had to visit our Plymouth office the day after I bought it so had an early opportunity for a 250 mile round trip and it performed just as you would have hoped. Those sort of journeys are what the Lexus does best, aren't they? I had great fun experimenting to see what all the buttons did on the way down, as I hadn't had much chance to read the manual by then. I haven't found anything which doesn't work yet! I feels like a definite upgrade from my 1999 LS400, which I loved but sold almost a year ago (still not sure why).

One early finding was that at motorway speeds the ride seemed more comfortable with the air suspension at Sports setting, even though at speed Normal is supposed to ride a little tauter anyway.

The one thing I wish, and I am being picky here, is that it rode a little quieter. Tyre noise is the issue (well actually British roads are the issue, but you know what I mean . . .). On "nice" stretches of road/motorway it is indeed almost silent but on other surfaces (most) there is more tyre noise than I would like. As part of the deal, it is having two new Dunlop 270's on the rear tomorrow where it currently has two more worn tyres of different makes! I am hoping that will help. The front has two Kumho K11's which I am not thrilled about but they are quite new. It is an open question in my mind that I might switch those quite soon for 270's as well.

Overall, as I think I might have mentioned - it's great to be back in a Lexus!

Chris

Chris

Great to hear you like it... but then again whats not to like...

I used the sports mode on motorways when I first got mine, as passengers were getting a bit queezy with it on soft.... now I come to think about it no one has complained and I haven't had sports selected since I got the 270's on it so maybe that is another reason to get them....

I tried to load some pics as well but to no avail.....

Might try again soon.....

Anyway I'm away for a few days now on a road trip back from Faro to Hull in this.............. eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...N:IT&ih=008

Always wanted one with that engine and I just could'nt resist....

Pete

Quick update on the tyres: I've put two new Dunlop 270s on the rear and left the nearly new Kumho's on the front. I may be making this up, but despite the lousy weather it definitely seemed quieter than before, so quite pleased.

And my new satnav disc has arrived (06/07 version). Not sure if I will actually notice any difference but I like the idea that it's not 7 years out of date any more. Though I did look up the area north of Birmingham and I couldn't actually spot the new toll motorway - surely it must be on there, anyone know?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links