Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help!

Rikos

Hello all,

My dad received Call of Duty 4 for christmas on the PC which was great as i wanted to play it also, unfortunately i installed it onto the PC and all seemed fine until i tried to play the game. I clicked on single player mode and the game started to fire up but then it came up with error during initialization and the message 'Video card or driver doesnt support seperate alpha blend, glow will be disabled' and will not run.

I tried sending the customer support a message but have not heard back, i am pretty sure this means that the graphics card isnt good enough all be it that the PC is not very old. But i am not that knowledgable about computers .... well not really about much :whistling: so if anyone can shed some light that would be fantastic.

Then, i thought i would try my dads laptop as this is newer and it installed fine and when i tried to play it a error message came up saying 'Video card or driver doesnt support UBYTE4N vertex data' which again i think means the graphics card isnt good enough.

Any help would be much appreciated. Also, if we need a new graphics card how much is that likely to be and will i have to take it to a shop to get it fitted?

Thank you.

Rik

It sounds very much like your PC needs a new gfx card

call of duty 4 is a very nice game and as such needs a beefy graphics processor to run it. you can spend a small fortune on them. but I would recommend an Nvidia 8800 GT about £130 its easy to fit yourself but it does require your computers power supply to be good enough for it

more info on Nvidia's website www.nvidia.com

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_callofduty4_home.html

Go there and hit "Click here to test your system" It might give you more details on what your system needs. I would also try installing the latest drivers for your GFX card.

Video Card

Minimum: 128MB 3d Hardware Accelerated card required-100% DirectX 9.0c compatible and latest drivers (NVIDIA GeForce 6600+ / ATI Radeon 9800 Pro+)

The above is the minimum spec card required.

It also needs to have the following features....

Video Card Features - Minimum attributes of your Video Card

Video RAM: Required - 128 MB ,

Video Card 3D Acceleration: Required - Yes ,

Video HW Transform & Lighting: Required - Yes ,

Vertex Shader Ver.: Required - 2.0 ,

Pixel Shader Ver.: Required - 2.0 ,

Like I said, that is only the minimum required.. this will probably be able to run the game at it's lowest settings, to get the best out of the game the recommended is as follows...

Video Card

Recommended: 3.0 Shader Support recommended.

Nvidia Geforce 7800 or better

ATI Radeon X1800 or better

Video Card Features - Minimum attributes of your Video Card

Video RAM: Required - 256 MB ,

Video Card 3D Acceleration: Required - Yes ,

Video HW Transform & Lighting: Required - Yes ,

Vertex Shader Ver.: Required - 3.0 ,

Pixel Shader Ver.: Required - 3.0 ,

That is just for the graphics card, the page quoted at the top of this post also gives you the details for CPU, Memory and Sound etc etc.

Just realized this is my 1st post in here.. and to think I signed up last July :lol:

i would say its the graphics card as well

i am running a geforce 7600 gt and have never had a problem i play it most nights online have done the single player bit a long time ago and i will say dont play online till you have done the single player bit cos i thought i was good until i went on line then all i did was die

beter now level 47 at the mo

I have tried NVIDIA 8600GT card in mine, but then i get constant corrupt and reboot problems.

I updated BIOS and latest drivers but no luck............back to ATI Radion at the moment.

Rikos

the chances are that your dads PC is past its sell by date.....if you do the following (xp?)

START ...RUN..and type in DXDIAG then press SAVE ALL INFORMATION and copy and paste onto here....I can see what your system is and tell you if you need a new graphics card or new system...

Bobski....what is your current power supply?...if its less than 300w you may have issues...if youve gone from ATI to NVIDIA make sure you use drivercleaner pro to get rid of those old drivers...otherwise stick in new power supply..

ebuyer do a 500w power supply for £10 plus vat...easy to slot in

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/136632

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links