Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Quick Question

Hi,

recently, I have a clutch issue with my IS200 Supercharged (sticking in gear 1 and i have to pull really hard to get it into 2nd), it happened before i have supercharger fitted and they replaced it without any issues.

took it back this morning and i just had a call from them saying that because i now i have a supercharger fitted, its not under warranty to get the clutch fixed?! as i always thought, TTE supercharger count as their original parts and it should not effect the warranty?!

can someone advise me please?

thanks

I would imagine, if they didnt fit the supercharger then it would invalidate the warranty on any item that might be effected by the SC.
.... and they are taking the view that fitting the supercharger would give the clutch a harder time, which in turns seems not an unreasonable assumption.

On the other hand, if the problem was there before the supercharger was fitted, you might argue that they had a go at fixing it beforehand, and have clearly failed. The fitting of your supercharger is therefore entirely incidental.

Happy negotiating!

Very much so, if they dont want to do it, you simply wont have a leg to stand on, warrantys are very easily voided when you modify a car, and i doubt you can prove that it was there before.

If they want to keep you happy then you may have some luck, maybe an agreement that you pay for labour and they pay the part or vice versa.

I would imagine, if they didnt fit the supercharger then it would invalidate the warranty on any item that might be effected by the SC.

It was fitted by VAT Reg Garage, so no problems with warranty :D

James, tell them its a Toyota part, Lexus dealers used to sell them, if for them to prove the supercharger is/has done the damage, contact Gill want @ Lexus GB.

When i had problems with my engine, Lexus did the work under warranty, thay did try it on, but with all the facts.

Toyota part fitted by VAT Rag Garage, you have done no wrong, tell them this very strongly.

If thay dont, ask for this in writing, saying why.

It was fitted by VAT Reg Garage, so no problems with warranty :D
Whats being VAT registered got do with Lexus?

They need to know it was fitted by a professional VAT Registered Garage.

Gord had a S/C fitted by a VAT registered garage and Lexus GB put a new bottom end on his engine I believe.

They would need to be Toyota or Lexus approved to carry out warranted work.
He was talking about the fitting of the S/C

I know, but my GF is VAT registered, that doesnt mean shes trained, qualified or approved to fit lexus parts and retain the warranty, any monkey can ring the tax man and become vat registered. I just cant see how being a VAT registered is going to make Lexus beleive that the parts were fitted by someone who may have made a mistake that LED to the fault.

Gord, the superchargers were never sold officially in the UK.

only 5 cars were ever converted by Lexus GB, and these were all test mules, run out of the old Milton keynes dealership.

out of the 5 only 2 remain

Being VAT registered does not guarantee anything but it does suggest that the garage is a business and not just Bill with a bag of spanners from down the road.. Bill would have to be barking mad to reg for VAT if it was just for one or two jobs

I know, but my GF is VAT registered, that doesnt mean shes trained, qualified or approved to fit lexus parts and retain the warranty, any monkey can ring the tax man and become vat registered. I just cant see how being a VAT registered is going to make Lexus beleive that the parts were fitted by someone who may have made a mistake that led to the fault.

It means you can buy your new Lexus from Lexus, have it serviced by VAT Reg Garage using genuine Lexus/toyota parts, and the warranty will still stand 100%, nothing thay can do about it, its the LAW.

So Snowman has had genuine lexus/toyota part fitted by VAT Reg Garage, so he should have no problems at all, and as Mat has said, its down to Lexus/toyota to prove the supercharger did the damage, thay tryed saying that with my car, thay could not prove 100% the supercharger was to blame.

And i dont know anyone that has had a problem with gearbox/clutch where the supercharger was to blame, but lots of people have had problems with gearbox and clutch without supercharger fitted, i think Snowman has a very good case.

Gord, the superchargers were never sold officially in the UK.

only 5 cars were ever converted by Lexus GB, and these were all test mules, run out of the old Milton keynes dealership.

out of the 5 only 2 remain

Mat i bought 2 from Lexus dealer, that was one of the points that i made to lexus, and i know that thay rang the lexus dealer to check my story.

You will find also, somewhere on here, that lexus stockport was going to sell them.

I know, but my GF is VAT registered, that doesnt mean shes trained, qualified or approved to fit lexus parts and retain the warranty, any monkey can ring the tax man and become vat registered. I just cant see how being a VAT registered is going to make Lexus beleive that the parts were fitted by someone who may have made a mistake that led to the fault.

It means you can buy your new Lexus from Lexus, have it serviced by VAT Reg Garage using genuine Lexus/toyota parts, and the warranty will still stand 100%, nothing thay can do about it, its the LAW.

So Snowman has had genuine lexus/toyota part fitted by VAT Reg Garage, so he should have no problems at all, and as Mat has said, its down to Lexus/toyota to prove the supercharger did the damage,

that is 100% correct.And its their job to PROVE the supercharger caused the damage.Loggyboy youve misunderstood what Gord was saying.He means VAT reged garage with OEM parts,he isnt suggesting that any VAT registered business can fit it.

Im completely understood him. However I was not aware that that any garage could use OEM parts and retain the waranty. Id be very interested to see where the warranty paperwaork does or doesnt state this.

My further query would then be, is the standard clutch identical that used in the SC version? If not then it would be quite easy for them to prove that they uprated the clutch in the SC versions due to the standard one not being up to the task. However if the standard clutch was used, and the they above stated law on fitting of OEM parts is true, then I cant see how they could say the SC caused the premature wear of the clutch.

Thanks for all the advices!!!!

I will need to speak to Lexus GB and find that out!! as the dealer is not 100% sure either!

i have been looking at lexus's website but i couldn't find any contact numbers. can anyone pass me a number?! so should i speak to Gill Want at Lexus GB? any direct calls?!

Im completely understood him. However I was not aware that that any garage could use OEM parts and retain the waranty. Id be very interested to see where the warranty paperwaork does or doesnt state this.

My further query would then be, is the standard clutch identical that used in the SC version? If not then it would be quite easy for them to prove that they uprated the clutch in the SC versions due to the standard one not being up to the task. However if the standard clutch was used, and the they above stated law on fitting of OEM parts is true, then I cant see how they could say the SC caused the premature wear of the clutch.

Im sorry to be pedantic,but you demonstrated a misunderstanding by making a comment about your GF's business being VAT registered.your comment suggested that any VAT registered business could fit car parts.

All car manufacturers have to allow within the initial warranty period of the car,an allowance for customers to use independent garages to service vehicles as long as OEM parts are used and manufacturer guidelines are followed.In BMWs case its the initial 3 year period of the cars life,as soon as the extended warranty period begins you have to use service centres within the BMW network.I believe that the BER(car block exemption regulation)doesnt allow a manufacturer to stop independent garages from servicing customers vehicles,and further disallows manufacturers to reject warranty claims based on the use of independent service centres.

TTE supercharger uses the OEM clutch and there is no advice from TTE that an uprated one is required.

quote from the pdf below

"IN OCTOBER 2003, E.U. LEGISLATION AFFECTING

THE MOTOR TRADE CAME INTO FORCE. ITS FULL

TITLE IS ‘BLOCK EXEMPTION REGULATIONS 1400/2002’

(IN SHORT ‘BER’).

BER changes the way cars are serviced and repaired.

It gives motorists a lot more freedom in their decision

as to who should look after their cars.

Before BER, it was very difficult to have cars, which were still

covered by the manufacturer’s warranty, serviced anywhere

except a franchised dealer.

Now motorists can use any garage of their choice to service

their cars without invalidating the manufacturer’s warranty.*"

little bit of info-

http://www.uccc.co.uk/uccc/6192%20Unipart%...v2%20CLIENT.pdf

http://www.iccuk.com/service/blockexemption.htm

Im sorry to be pedantic,but you demonstrated a misunderstanding by making a comment about your GF's business being VAT registered.your comment suggested that any VAT registered business could fit car parts.

All car manufacturers have to allow within the initial warranty period of the car,an allowance for customers to use independent garages to service vehicles as long as OEM parts are used and manufacturer guidelines are followed.In BMWs case its the initial 3 year period of the cars life,as soon as the extended warranty period begins you have to use service centres within the BMW network.I believe that the BER(car block exemption regulation)doesnt allow a manufacturer to stop independent garages from servicing customers vehicles,and further disallows manufacturers to reject warranty claims based on the use of independent service centres.

TTE supercharger uses the OEM clutch and there is no advice from TTE that an uprated one is required.

quote from the pdf below

"IN OCTOBER 2003, E.U. LEGISLATION AFFECTING

THE MOTOR TRADE CAME INTO FORCE. ITS FULL

TITLE IS ‘BLOCK EXEMPTION REGULATIONS 1400/2002’

(IN SHORT ‘BER’).

BER changes the way cars are serviced and repaired.

It gives motorists a lot more freedom in their decision

as to who should look after their cars.

Before BER, it was very difficult to have cars, which were still

covered by the manufacturer’s warranty, serviced anywhere

except a franchised dealer.

Now motorists can use any garage of their choice to service

their cars without invalidating the manufacturer’s warranty.*"

little bit of info-

http://www.uccc.co.uk/uccc/6192%20Unipart%...v2%20CLIENT.pdf

http://www.iccuk.com/service/blockexemption.htm

As i said :winky: :D

Got my car back now.

Rang Lexus GB and they did not get back to the dealer today, sadly, the car i was in is due to be in today so I had to bring the car back.

At least the others are sorted now so its just the clutch!

Will keep up the fight with them!!!!!!!!!

Special thanks to Gord for the information over the phone!

Got my car back now.

Rang Lexus GB and they did not get back to the dealer today, sadly, the car i was in is due to be in today so I had to bring the car back.

If you need a stroppy letter writing let me know............

Written a few for members on here to Lexus GB :whistling:

Got my car back now.

If you need a stroppy letter writing let me know............

Written a few for members on here to Lexus GB :whistling:

Dave,

That will be really useful! I will see what they say tomorrow then I will give you a bell if i needs one!!! Thanks mate!!!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links